Rick Ankiel Thread

CardsJimEdmonds15

Ankiel drives in 6 RBI's; hits GS

Rick Ankiel (above) and Chris Patrick each had grand slams Sunday as the Swing beat Peoria, 15-7, to finish the first half in third place in the MWL-West. Five Swing players will participate in the Pepsi MWL All-Star Classic Tuesday night in Peoria.

Rick Ankiel ripped a grand slam in the top of the fourth inning and Chris Patrick added his first slam of the year in the top of the sixth inning as the Swing of the Quad Cities pounded the Peoria Chiefs, 15-7, on Sunday afternoon at O?Brien Field. Every Swing starter drove in or scored at least one run as the Swing scored a season-high 15 runs to finish the first half with a 36-33 record, good for third place in the MWL-West.

Quad Cities rallied from a 2-8 start to finish the half with a 36-33 record, and held onto playoff hopes until the second-to-last day of the schedule. The Swing?s first-half finish with an above .500 record also marks the first time the Quad Cities franchise has had a plus-.500 record for a half since winning the wild card in the second half of the 2002 season. In 2004, the Swing went 33-33 in the first half and finished the second half 35-35.

The second half of the 2005 season resumes Thursday at Wisconsin, as every team will restart with an 0-0 record, and the Swing will be competing with six other Western Division teams for two playoff spots. Wisconsin and Clinton already qualified for the postseason as first half champion and wild card, so they will be non-factors in the second half chase.

[More in URL]

Ankiel hits Grand Slam

Rick Ankiel uncleared the bases with a third-inning grand slam in the Class A Swing's 15-7 victory against Peoria on Sunday.

Ankiel was 3-for-4 with six RBIs on the day to raise his average to .262. He has 21 hits in 80 at-bats, 13 runs and 20 RBIs.

The Quad Cities' Matt Shepherd walked and Matt Lemanczyk and Juan Lucena followed with singles to set up Ankiel's blast to right field off of the Chiefs' Christopher Shaver.

It was Ankiel's seventh homer of the year, all of which have come since the highly touted pitching prospect-turned-outfielder was sent down to the Midwest League by the Springfield Cardinals in late May.

[.262 AVG, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 13 Runs.. Not bad not bad! Yes I know it's still A ball, lol! ]

RICK ANKIEL NAMED MWL PLAYER OF THE WEEK:

The Midwest League announced on Monday that Swing of the Quad Cities outfielder Rick Ankiel has been named the league?s player of the week for the period stretching from June 20-26. Also receiving honors as the Pitcher of the Week, which was shortened to four games due to the all-star break, was Dayton pitcher Homer Bailey.

After belting a grand slam with six RBI in the final game of the first half, the lefty out of Fort Pierce, Florida picked up right where he left off after the break. Leading the Swing to a four-game sweep at Wisconsin, Ankiel hit an even .500 (7-14) with two home runs and five RBI. He also crossed the plate eight times, slugged 1.071, and had a .650 on-base percentage in the series ? all of which paced the Midwest League.

Since joining the Swing on May 23, the Cardinals? 1997 second round pick has hit .298 while launching nine home runs and driving in 25 through 26 games. In his last 10 contests he has been especially hot, batting at a .395 clip with five longballs and 14 RBI.

A one-time pitcher for the Cardinals?, Ankiel quickly ascended the St. Louis minor league ladder and reached the big leagues for the first time in 1999. After going 11-7, 3.50 in 2000 he finished second in the National League?s Rookie of the Year voting before a combination of control problems and injuries slowed his career. Before the 2005 season he announced his decision to try to make it back to the majors as an outfielder, and came to the Quad Cities following a 1-for-20 stint at AA-Springfield that was marked by a back injury.

Ank Watch: 2-4, 3 R

Quad Cities Top 1st

* Rick Ankiel doubles (6) on a fly ball to right fielder Carlos Gonzales. Lucena to 3rd.

* Eric Verbryke singles on a line drive to right fielder Carlos Gonzales. Lucena scores. Ankiel to 3rd.

* Spencer Wyman strikes out swinging.

* Jake Mullinax singles on a ground ball to shortstop Alberto Gonzales. Ankiel scores. Verbryke to 2nd.

Quad Cities Top 2nd

* With Rick Ankiel batting, wild pitch by Christopher Kinsey, Juan Lucena to 2nd.

* Rick Ankiel out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Carlos Gonzales. Shepherd scores. Lucena to 3rd.

Quad Cities Top 5th

* Rick Ankiel walks.

* Eric Verbryke pops out to shortstop Alberto Gonzales.

* Spencer Wyman singles on a line drive to right fielder Carlos Gonzales. Ankiel to 2nd.

* Jacob Mullinax singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jereme Milons. Ankiel scores. Wyman to 2nd.

Quad Cities Top 6th

* Rick Ankiel singles on a line drive to center fielder Jereme Milons.

* Eric Verbryke doubles (9) on a fly ball to right fielder Carlos Gonzales. Rick Ankiel to 3rd.

* Pitcher Change: Todd Stein replaces Corbey Medlin.

* Spencer Wyman homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Rick Ankiel scores. Eric Verbryke scores.

* Jacob Mullinax singles on a line drive to center fielder Jereme Milons.

* Michael Ferris walks. Jacob Mullinax to 2nd.

* Nick Stavinoha singles on a line drive to left fielder Wilkin Castillo. Mullinax scores. Ferris to 2nd.

* Calvin Hayes singles on a ground ball to left fielder Wilkin Castillo. Ferris to 3rd. Stavinoha to 2nd.

* Shepherd singles on a line drive to LF Castillo. Ferris scores. Stavinoha to 3rd. Hayes to 2nd.

* Juan Lucena strikes out swinging.

* Rick Ankiel pops out to first baseman Cesar Nicolas in foul territory.

Quad Cities Top 8th

* Rick Ankiel lines out to center fielder Jereme Milons.

[Rick went 2-4 with 3 runs and an RBI.. Now hitting .275 in 30 games with 26 Runs scored, 9 hr's and 26 RBI's.]

Ankiel's challenge in minors: Adjusting to the daily grind

Swing centerfielder Rick Ankiel: "I'm happy here. I'm playing every day, and things are coming around."

With each passing day, Rick Ankiel grows more comfortable with "the grind."

For the first time in a professional career now in its eighth year, the pitcher-turned-outfielder finds himself preparing for action on a daily basis - in the outfield for the Swing of the Quad Cities.

"That has been the biggest challenge for me," Ankiel said. "Trying to get my body ready to go day after day is something that I've never had to do. I'm adjusting and getting used to the grind.

"I knew when I made my decision this spring that there would be changes. I knew it would take some time, and one of the biggest things I've found out is how guys who play every day have to work and take care of their bodies. I've got a new appreciation for what those guys go through."

Upon his arrival, he expected to spend no more than 10 days with the Swing. Six weeks later, he realizes his plans might have been overly optimistic, but he also realizes he is making progress.

"I feel like I'm making good adjustments, and overall I'm happy with the progress I'm making," Ankiel said. "I'm like every guy in our clubhouse. I'm trying to find the consistency it takes to be successful in this game. That doesn't change, whether you are in the major leagues or in rookie ball. Consistency is the opponent."

Swing manager Joe Cunningham, in his 12th season as a manager in the Cardinals' system, sees Ankiel beginning to tackle that opponent with more success.

"There's progress there," Cunningham said. "From the time Rick joined us up to this point, he's made progress. As I watch him work, I see him feeling more comfortable and confident in what he is doing.

[More in URL]

Very good article on Rick. Read it if ya want!

• 1 month later...

BUMP

Ank hits his first homer for SPR leading them to win.

Springfield Top 1st:

Rick Ankiel strikes out swinging.

Springfield Top 2nd:

Rick Ankiel singles on a line drive to center fielder Tommy Murphy.

Springfield Top 4th:

Springfield Top 6th:

Rick Ankiel homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Dan Moylan scores. Brendan Ryan scores.

Springfield Top 8th:

Rick Ankiel lines out to first baseman Kendry Morales.

2/5 on the night with a HR and 3 RBI's..

Since his callup:

1/4, RBI, 1 K

1/3, R, 2B, RBI

2/5, R, HR, 3 RBI

.333 AVG (4-12), 1 HR, 5 RBI which means he's up to .156 AVG (5-32) with 1 HR and 5 RBI's in Springfield.

Ankiel's Blast Helps Cards Win

August 6, 2005 - The Springfield Cardinals rebounded in a big way on Saturday night after a tough loss on Friday, beating the first-place Arkansas Travelers by a final score of 8-4 at Ray Winder Field in Little Rock.

Rick Ankiel?s first homer as a Springfield Cardinal helped starting pitcher Oscar Alvarez, who was just recalled from Palm Beach of the Florida State League, gain a win in his return to the Springfield roster.

Ankiel?s three-run homer, a drive to right-center which cleared the 55-foot chain-link fence, broke open a close game, giving the Cards a 7-3 advantage in the sixth inning. Ankiel finished the night with his first two-hit game (2-5) as a Cardinal, finishing the series 4-12 with a homer and five RBIs.

[More in URL]

Ankiel hits first AA Homer

Rick Ankiel slugged his first Double-A home run as Springfield doubled up Arkansas, 8-4, on Saturday night.

The pitcher-turned-outfielder cranked a three-run blast to right-center, clearing Ray Winder Field's 55-foot chain link fence that protects Interstate 630. Ankiel slugged .570 with 11 homers at Class A Quad Cities and is 4-for-12 since returning to the Texas League.

Ankiel's Homer Wins it in 13; Cards win second straight with dramatic 11-10 win

August 12, 2005 - Rick Ankiel?s two-out, two-run shot in the bottom of the 13th inning gave the Springfield Cardinals a dramatic 11-10 victory over the Midland RockHounds on Thursday night at Hammons Field.

In a game that featured several comebacks, Kevin Melillo?s solo shot to right-center off Cards reliever Alan Benes (1-0) to lead off the 13th, looked like it might go unanswered. However, Evan Fahrner (7-2) surrendered a two-out single to Shaun Boyd on a 3-2 pitch to keep the Cards alive in the bottom of the 13th. After fouling off a number of two-strike pitches, Rick Ankiel?s line shot down the right field line crept over the fence, giving the Cards their second straight win. Ankiel?s third homer in a Springfield uniform and second in as many nights, capped an amazing 5:27 minute game, the longest in franchise history.

After Midland got a run against Cory Doyne to take an 8-7 ninth-inning lead, Brendan Ryan?s solo shot with one out in the bottom of the ninth helped the Cardinals tie the game at 8-8 against Midland?s Nick Mattioni.

The teams played scoreless ball until the 12th inning when Midland reclaimed the lead. With one out, Andre Ethier singled and stole second base. After a fly ball to right field allowed Ethier to tag and move to third, Ethier scored on a wild pitch from Benes, making it 9-8.

[More in URL]

Ankiel sends Cardinals to victory in 13th

Rick Ankiel hit a two-run home run off Evan Fahrner with two outs in the bottom of the 13th inning, sending the Springfield Cardinals to a rousing 11-10 victory over the Midland RockHounds on Thursday night at Hammons Field.

Shaun Boyd hit a two-out single, then Ankiel fouled off three pitches before sending a full-count pitch screaming over the right-field wall. It was Ankiel?s third home run since he joined the Cardinals on Aug. 2.

All this on a night when Aaron Herr and Brendan Ryan each had four hits, with Ryan popping a game-tying home run in the ninth, and their efforts looking to go to waste after Kevin Melillo hit a solo homer off Alan Benes in the top of the 13th.

The game lasted 5 hours, 27 minutes and ended at 12:40 a.m.

Friday, although Springfield manager Chris Maloney wasn't around after the eighth inning when he was ejected for arguing balls and strikes.

[More in URL]

Boxscore

Springfield Bottom 1st:

Rick Ankiel flies out to right fielder Andre Ethier.

Springfield Bottom 2nd:

Springfield Bottom 4th:

Rick Ankiel grounds out to first baseman Daric Barton.

Springfield Bottom 6th:

With Rick Ankiel batting, Shaun Boyd steals (9) 2nd base.

Rick Ankiel singles on a line drive to center fielder Steve Stanley. Shaun Boyd to 3rd.

Tyler Minges reaches on a fielder's choice out, third baseman Vasili Spanos unassisted. Shaun Boyd out at 3rd. Rick Ankiel to 2nd.

Aaron Herr hit by pitch. Rick Ankiel to 3rd. Tyler Minges to 2nd.

Springfield Bottom 7th:

Rick Ankiel flies out to left fielder Brian Stavisky.

Springfield Bottom 9th:

Springfield Bottom 11th:

Rick Ankiel flies out to center fielder Andre Ethier.

Springfield Bottom 13th:

Rick Ankiel homers (3) on a fly ball to right field. Shaun Boyd scores.

13 G, .224 AVG, (11/49): 6 R, 2 2B, 3 HR, 10 RBI, .296 OBP, .449 SLG

- He's playing a lot better this callup. His numbers are low because he started like 1/20.