Deal with the Devil

southkevin2

The Yankees showed interest in center fielder Carlos Beltran last June, before Houston obtained him, and they probably could have had him if they had dealt the setup man Tom Gordon. He could be a closer for other teams, and if the Yankees dangled him this year, they might be able to land a center fielder like Juan Pierre of the Florida Marlins.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/21/sports/b...?pagewanted=all

I don't think we'll lose Pierre to the Yanks. Although they've expressed some interest in the past for him, with the season that Pierre is having, I doubt the Yankees will still go for him. They have unlimited money, and they want someone much better than Pierre.

Notice how the Yankees got players during the off-season that had an awesome year the season before, and before then either player mediocre or horrible. eg. Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano...etc.

So if Pierre would be having a good season then I would say that the Yankees might get him, because they'd really want him. But with the way Pierre has been hitting, even the short fence in right at Yankee Stadium won't help him.

I don't think we'll lose Pierre to the Yanks. Although they've expressed some interest in the past for him, with the season that Pierre is having, I doubt the Yankees will still go for him. They have unlimited money, and they want someone much better than Pierre.

Notice how the Yankees got players during the off-season that had an awesome year the season before, and before then either player mediocre or horrible. eg. Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano...etc.

So if Pierre would be having a good season then I would say that the Yankees might get him, because they'd really want him. But with the way Pierre has been hitting, even the short fence in right at Yankee Stadium won't help him.

818853[/snapback]

he isnt a homerun hitter so who cares about the short porch in right

It's been written here and on the official Marlins site by Joe Fisaro, JP isn't an unrestricted FA at the end of this year. He'll be a 5th year abitration eligible player due to lack of service time. He still might be out of the Marlins price range if he is awarded a lot in arby, but he'll be under team control.

JP's not going anywhere, Yanks are looking to get Kotsay from the A's but the thought is A's might want too much for him or if the Yanks do get him Kotsay is a FA and could leave after the end of the season. Besides Gordon is a valuable part of that Yanks bullpen, w/o him they don't have anyone to get to Mo. Enought Yankee talk...

JP isn't going anywhere via trade, he's too important of a part to this team!

818853[/snapback]

he isnt a homerun hitter so who cares about the short porch in right

818857[/snapback]

I was just making a point on how bad Pierre has been hitting, especially for a leadoff hitter--So the Yankees don't want him, and that sportswriter needs more things to fill out his day.

Torre abused Gordon in the regular season last year. That might be why he did so poorly. Anyway, the first step is getting to the playoffs, right?

I don't think it's necessary as I fully expect Mota to return to normal and Alfonseca back soon, but Gordon is probably a better option than adding a second closer or a Danny Graves/Matt Herges/Billy Koch/Steve Karsay experiment. He's done a great job at stranding inherited baserunners and would be a very good middle relief/setup arm.

I would hate to give up JP, but is it really any more of a loss than some of the other proposals to get Urbina, Lidge, Mesa, etc.?

I think it was Boog who was opining that Mota has pitched a tremendous number of innings over the past few years (and I suppose I should look it up before I continue this post but I'm not) and may be suffering from "tired arm".

As Rferry suggests, the same may be true of Gordon. If both are correct, all the Marlins are doing is jumping out of the frying pan and ino the fire.

I think it was Boog who was opining that Mota has pitched a tremendous number of innings over the past few years (and I suppose I should look it up before I continue this post but I'm not) and may be suffering from "tired arm".

As Rferry suggests, the same may be true of Gordon. If both are correct, all the Marlins are doing is jumping out of the frying pan and ino the fire.

818958[/snapback]

Gordon, IP

1996 , 215

1997 , 182

1998 , 79

1999, 17

2000, 45

2001, 23

2002, 19

2003, 74

2004, 89

2005, 31

Mota, IP

1999, 55

2000, 30

2001, 49

2002, 60, LA

2003, 105, LA

2004, 96, LA/FLA (63, 33)

2005, 20

Looks like that could be the case with Mota. They pitched the hell out of him in LA. Gordon used to be a starter though. I think he could probably handle 70-80 innings a year. And it seems like we he'd only have like 60 innings with us (from Mota's #s)

I'd be a bit wary of Gordon because of the overuse issue...there was an interesting article I read in the paper up here over the weekend talking about the struggles of guys who were worked hard last year, Mota being among them. The back end of the Yankees bullpen (Quantrill, Gordon, Rivera) was used extensively last season and Quantrill has already paid the price with an abysmal season. Gordon's pitched well so far but like Mota last year, I'd be extremely concerned about him fading down the stretch.

Don't shrug this rumor off, I mention Kotsay on the block. I could see a three-way with the Yankees and Oakland with Pierre moving to NY. Kotsay ending up here. Lou Castillo would be your leadoff hitter(he's a better leadoff hitter) and Kotsay would be a perfect two hole hitter. If the Marlins could pull Hughes away from the Yankees WOW, yes he's the Yankees only top prospect IMO, but I think he'd go to Oakland to get Kotsay along with other prospects.

Don't shrug this rumor off, I mention Kotsay on the block. I could see a three-way with the Yankees and Oakland with Pierre moving to NY. Kotsay ending up here. Lou Castillo would be your leadoff hitter(he's a better leadoff hitter) and Kotsay would be a perfect two hole hitter. If the Marlins could pull Hughes away from the Yankees WOW, yes he's the Yankees only top prospect IMO, but I think he'd go to Oakland to get Kotsay along with other prospects.

819050[/snapback]

I don't know, if I'd do that deal