The ship is righting itself....slowly

CapeFish

In their last 10 games, the Marlins are 5-5.

Against the American League this season, the Marlins are up to their usual ways with a 7-5 record.

The Marlins have a better record than usual against the NL West at 5-5, but have yet to play Arizona or San Francisco which have historically given the Marlins a run for their money.

The NL Central (sans St. Louis and Milwaukee) sees the Marlins floating at 7-6. Again the Marlins have the unusual schedule of playing the Cubs 6 more times so that series could be critical for any potential playoff berth.

The one glaring hole in the Marlins performance, by the numbers, this season has been against opponents in the National League East. This is what matters the most, yet the Marlins have not done well at a 15-17 record. This is the part of the schedule where the most improvement must occur.

Marlins at home are 21-15, on the road they fall to 13-18.

So as we close Game 67 with a loss to Atlanta, we look forward to the next 95 games and wonder what will change. The Marlins have the advantage of the least games played in the division, but they can only capitalize on that advantage by winning those games.

The top average on the team is Lenny Harris at .379, followed by Cabrera at .333 and Castillo at .326. Delgado has quietly gone up to .325 and Lo Duca is rising and currently at .291.

Valerio De Los Santos has pitched 6.1 innings and only surrendered 1 earned run on 3 hits. Willis, Moehler, and Todd Jones have easily been the uplifting force on this team.

So, we stare at the standings and say that we are 5 behind Washington for the East and 2 behind Philadelphia for the wildcard, but we need to realize that our schedule will directly let the Marlins affect their own destiny. Philadelphia, Atlanta and Chicago will see the Marlins many more times this season as they race for the wildcard. The Nationals are still available plenty of times to face off against.

All it takes is 3 very good streaks in the next months where we go 9-1 over ten games and make the progress needed.

:lol Cape. I felt like I was reading one of my own posts when I was reading it with all the stats.

Anyways, just let me add that every team in our division has a winning record at home and a losing record on the road, so the road is clearly where we need to improve.

Right now it seems like the Nationals are the team to beat, although the division really still belongs to the Braves. They have the best record at home in the whole leauge, and they have the best record on the road in our division as well. We need to start beating up on them whenever we can, and the funny thing about them is that they've allowed more runs than they've scored on the year.(RS=292, RA=301) They're also the hottest team in our division as of late, which doesn't help us.

We just need to concentrate on catching the Nationals and on the way we'll pass the Braves and Phillies. If were going to really contend and try to make the playoffs then we can't have trouble with the Braves and Phillies, because if one of them has a better record than us at the end of the season then that means no postseason for us.

I'd just like to say that I went on vacation June 2nd until June 13th. During that span, the Marlins lost 8 of 10, and the Heat lost game 6 and 7 to Detroit.

When I returned, the Marlins began this little 'run' that Cape has mentioned.

I promise never to go on vacation again.

BTW, the Wildcard will come out of the East. No way in hell that the NL Central and NL West can get the muscle up to beat up on the East like they do their own divisions.

820093[/snapback]

Of coarse. A few days ago the top 3 teams for the WC were all in the East. But since we've been slumping were #4 for the WC now. But the top 2 teams for the WC are still in the East. The Cubs are the only team who have some kind of shot at the WC, but not a good one. I think were going to need to win the WC to go to the playoffs. That means were going to need to pass the Braves and Phils.

Of coarse it would be nice to win the division, but I've decided to not hope for too much with the way we've been playing as of late.

Are we watching the same team? Because the starting lineup I'm seeing isn't getting it done. We're behind three teams in the division and three in the wild card standings. The longer we keep farting around, the harder it's going to be to pass that many teams. It's one thing when you're chasing one guy in front of you; it's an entire other matter when you're trying to leapfrog several.

A good stat: We've allowed the least amount of runs in N.L.(3rd overall)

So clearly, the fault is upon the offense for our slump. You could blame it on our bullpen, but alternatively its been because of our offense which hasn't been producing at all.

I know we've played less games than every team in the N.L.--but still, consider that 11 teams in the N.L. have scored more runs than us. Our offense is supposed to be awesome! We have JP-king at stealing bases and bunting, Castillo-who has been awesome, Cabrera-Young superstar, Delgado-We know he's awesome, and even Gonzalez has been hitting...etc. But yet-NO RUNS. HITS BUT NO RUNS. I'm sick of it.

We have 95 games left. To finish the season with 94 wins we need to end the season 60-35. That roughly puts it at winning every series 2 out of 3 with a few things not going exactly that way.

Anybody think we can't win the East with 94 wins?

820125[/snapback]

Yeah, I think were going to need just a few more, like 96 or 97. But if we can beat up on the Nationals, especially at home were they're #1 in the majors, then 94 may suffice. But I don't think were going to win the division.

You can look at the past also. We've been doing fine winning World Series' without winning the division. Let's concentrate on the WC before the division, it's much easier, and a lot more probable.

We have 95 games left. To finish the season with 94 wins we need to end the season 60-35. That roughly puts it at winning every series 2 out of 3 with a few things not going exactly that way.

Anybody think we can't win the East with 94 wins?

820125[/snapback]

What is going to change between now and tomorrow that is going to spark us to winning two out of three the rest of the season? This has been going on since the end of last season. This team will be nothing but a .500 team until something changes. They're not going to wake up tomorrow and start throwing up 5 runs every night. Turnarounds like that usually accompany something drastic: managerial change, coaching change, roster change. And with 4 teams over .500 in this division, I don't think 94 wins is going to be enough to win it.