The ship is righting itself....slowly

We have 95 games left. To finish the season with 94 wins we need to end the season 60-35. That roughly puts it at winning every series 2 out of 3 with a few things not going exactly that way.

Anybody think we can't win the East with 94 wins?

820125[/snapback]

Yeah, I think were going to need just a few more, like 96 or 97. But if we can beat up on the Nationals, especially at home were they're #1 in the majors, then 94 may suffice. But I don't think were going to win the division.

You can look at the past also. We've been doing fine winning World Series' without winning the division. Let's concentrate on the WC before the division, it's much easier, and a lot more probable.

820135[/snapback]

If it's not even July, and we're already giving up on the division race, we're a lot worse off than you realize. The goal better be the division title with a wild card palatable but not the primary focus.

We have 95 games left. To finish the season with 94 wins we need to end the season 60-35. That roughly puts it at winning every series 2 out of 3 with a few things not going exactly that way.

820125[/snapback]

What is going to change between now and tomorrow that is going to spark us to winning two out of three the rest of the season? This has been going on since the end of last season. This team will be nothing but a .500 team until something changes. They're not going to wake up tomorrow and start throwing up 5 runs every night. Turnarounds like that usually accompany something drastic: managerial change, coaching change, roster change. And with 4 teams over .500 in this division, I don't think 94 wins is going to be enough to win it.

820139[/snapback]

But 94 wins would be enough to win the WC which is enough to get into the playoffs which is enough to win the WS. And we've done it in that fashion 2 times in the past, so why not do it a third time?

820125[/snapback]

Yeah, I think were going to need just a few more, like 96 or 97. But if we can beat up on the Nationals, especially at home were they're #1 in the majors, then 94 may suffice. But I don't think were going to win the division.

You can look at the past also. We've been doing fine winning World Series' without winning the division. Let's concentrate on the WC before the division, it's much easier, and a lot more probable.

820135[/snapback]

If it's not even July, and we're already giving up on the division race, we're a lot worse off than you realize. The goal better be the division title with a wild card palatable but not the primary focus.

820145[/snapback]

I didn't say we were in a good situation and I didn't say I think we can have 96-97 wins. I was simply saying what would be the case were we to win that many games. I know the current situation and what is needed to improve, don't worry.

It's not even the All Star break. Saying we should aim for the wild card now is throwing in the towel. 94 wins may not win the wild card either since two of the teams we're trailing are ahead of us in the division, as well.

820155[/snapback]

I doubt 2 teams out of the Nationals, Braves, and Phillies will win 94 games. Maybe the Nationals will win 94 games, but for the Braves and Phillies to win 94 games they'd have to almost win 2/3 games from now on, which isn't gonna happen. So were we to win 94 games, which we most probably won't, then we'd win the WC. 94 wins is GREAT, and you rarely see a team do that good and not get into the playoffs.

So the three teams who are outperforming us right now have a worse shot than we do at 94 wins? Every prognosticator before this season was saying this was the strongest division top to bottom. Why is it so hard to believe two of these teams might win more than 94 games? You're selling them short. You can produce all the stats you want, but the only ones that matter are wins and losses. Right now, the Nats, Braves, and Phils are finding ways to win. We're not.

So the three teams who are outperforming us right now have a worse shot than we do at 94 wins? Every prognosticator before this season was saying this was the strongest division top to bottom. Why is it so hard to believe two of these teams might win more than 94 games? You're selling them short. You can produce all the stats you want, but the only ones that matter are wins and losses. Right now, the Nats, Braves, and Phils are finding ways to win. We're not.820183[/snapback]

Yeah, the Braves and Phillies are finding ways to win but were not. The Braves are just 1.5 games ahead of us and the Phils are only 2 games ahead of us. They're BARELY better than us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And guess what buddy? We've won 5 out of our last 10 games as have the Braves. And the Philies have only won 6 out of their last 10 games. How can you say that the Braves, and Phils are finding ways to win but were not if we've been winning the same amount???????

We've dropped 3 of 4 averaging a run per game. Given how banged up the Braves are, the fact they're ahead of us at all shows they're finding ways to win. The Phils were in last place and fading not too long ago. They raced past us, again, finding ways to win while we found new ways to lose each night.

820241[/snapback]

Sorry. If the Marlins have been winning the same amount of games as the Phils and Braves then you can't say that the Marlins have been finding ways to lose every night and that the Braves and Phils have been finding ways to win. It just doesn't make sense.

I cited our last four games as examples of ways we're losing. As long as we're behind them in the standings, what doesn't make sense is you thinking we're doing as well as they are. Look beyond the last ten games. We were well over .500, and now we're not. The Phils have done the opposite coming from under .500; the Braves haven't gone in the tank even with the injuries piling up.

I cited our last four games as examples of ways we're losing. As long as we're behind them in the standings, what doesn't make sense is you thinking we're doing as well as they are. Look beyond the last ten games. We were well over .500, and now we're not. The Phils have done the opposite coming from under .500; the Braves haven't gone in the tank even with the injuries piling up.

820281[/snapback]

Okay, so were 1-3 in our last 4 games. Wow, so what? That's not SO bad. 4 games isn't such a big deal. And the Braves and Phils were always close to us. They were always less than 5 games behind us. So don't say that we were so far above .500 and they were playing bad, ok?

Remember that long losing streak that the Marlins had in 2003 about early/mid August when were still in the Wild Card chase and things looked bleak for a while? Guys, we have yet to reach the mid point of the season yet and the division is still very much in reach.

Now I don't know whats going to happen by the end of the season, but this team has too much talent to keep stumbling like they have and they will pick it up. Like Cape said, it only takes is a streak or two and we are we'll be fine. No reason for anyone to panic.

Remember that long losing streak that the Marlins had in 2003 about early/mid August when were still in the Wild Card chase and things looked bleak for a while? Guys, we have yet to reach the mid point of the season yet and the division is still very much in reach.

Now I don't know whats going to happen by the end of the season, but this team has too much talent to keep stumbling like they have and they will pick it up. Like Cape said, it only takes is a streak or two and we are we'll be fine. No reason for anyone to panic.

820310[/snapback]

Thank you. :notworthy

It's amazing how many threads are made every day (lately) with people in complete panic mode. All you gotta be is average the 1st half of the marathon, and then break from the pack in the latter half of the year. While you can't be happy about a lot of the losses lately, just keep cool.

820310[/snapback]

Thank you. :notworthy

It's amazing how many threads are made every day (lately) with people in complete panic mode. All you gotta be is average the 1st half of the marathon, and then break from the pack in the latter half of the year. While you can't be happy about a lot of the losses lately, just keep cool.

820327[/snapback]

I think it's obvious that some people here just need to vent thier frustrations and others have never really followed baseball this seriously before and don't understand that a season has hot streaks where our team seems invincible and cold streaks where we look like dog s***. Hopefully this season will be educational to alot of fans and lead to the foundation of a great baseball fan base here in SoFla. We are just in our infancy as a baseball community and we are still learning the ropes.

Whatever. There's nothing panicky about admitting this team is mediocre and has been for months now. It's Pollyana-ish to sit back no matter how far behind we fall and keep saying it will turn itself around while you keep the smile plastered on your face. You can't keep citing 2003 as a guideline for how the season will play out. Those types of seasons are the exception. That's why such a big deal is made out of them. Things like the Boston Massacre (Bucky Dent era), the Angels' collapse, and our run in 2003 are special seasons, but they are not the norm. We're 2-5 in our last seven series. Since topping out at 26-16 on May 23, this team is 8-17. Eight win months are not going to get you to the playoffs.

Reading this topic, and then reading the topic about JP and Lowell..How much is enough topic.....it's like there's 2 different types of people on this site. This topic is mainly a reasoned, realistic look at things...The other topic is like listening to a bunch of middle schooler's at lunch.

.I think the team will be fine, as long as the big 3 pitchers are healthy and miss less than 10 starts between them. I think 92 wins will be enough to make the playoffs, and probably enough to win the division.

The two groups are:

A) Those who see where we are and are disgusted with the team's performance. They see no indication from players or management that anything is going to change. They think this team is headed for a .500 season without something changing.

B)Those who completely ignore the present and believe every season is going to be 2003 again. They think the players are magically going to wake up tomorrow, start scoring five runs a game, and will win at a .667 clip the rest of the season. They don't think changes are needed because it will all turn out alright if we just wait long enough.

This season reminds me of a spitting image of lat year, Getting up to a season high of wins and then plummeting, then for the next 2 months hovering around 500 ball. Trade deadline many moves are made and we start to get it together, the only thing diffrent is this year there wont be any hurricane to F us up.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

What makes you say there won't be any hurricanes? Meteorologists are expecting a hurricane season at least as bad as last year's.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

What makes you say there won't be any hurricanes? Meteorologists are expecting a hurricane season at least as bad as last year's.

820683[/snapback]

MLB has a plan for all teams that play in Hurricane-prone areas to ensure a smoother sequence of events.

820702[/snapback]

Well that's good. What measures did they take to deal with it?

The top average on the team is Lenny Harris at .379

820001[/snapback]

Who needs Ichiro when we've got Lenny Harris.

820349[/snapback]

LOL! I thought that was funny too.You don't post pinch hitter/utility players nonqualifying batting averages when listing them among the leaders boards whether based on the NL leaders or just the team leaders.An amateuristic approach might I say :)

Lenny may hit .400 this year! wow! He's the next Sisler or Ted Williams!!

Here's the bottomline:

Bullpen: Mota gets back to pitching like he can (maybe he's not as good as that year and a half run of good pitching with LA revealed.LoDuca still preaches to the team that he a great pitcher,so let's show us Mota) :banghead

-Alfonseca returns and pitches well :notworthy

- Todd Jones continues his great closing duties :p

Starting Pitching:

-Beckett stays healthy and is more consistent :confused

-AJ gets his control problems,well...under effing control! :mad

-Willis continues to roll :)

Offense:

-Pierre hits a consistent .300 or above for the rest of the season :whistle

-Lowell hits consistently well from now til the end.I am looking for 14 hrs and 55 ribbies and a .290 average at the very least and hitting over .300 w/ RISP.

-And that goes for the rest of the team in the RISP dept. :thumbup

Until we get all these pieces to the puzzle to fit, then weeze aint goin' noze wairz,LOL! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol