There's a CFer out there

There is a big reason why this guy was one of the most hated players in Tigers history....

820728[/snapback]

And that reason is ?????

820730[/snapback]

He's beyond terrible defensively and despite being incredibly fast -- is an awful baserunner.

He wouldn't be much worse than JP -- but he also isn't a savior. If we're talking about replacing JP -- we have a suitable leadoff replacement in Castillo.

That simply isn't true. Why do you just make stuff up?

Please source your comment. I just read a complete breakdown with quotes from Dombrowski which imply, yes he made errors, and mistakes on routes but DD thought it was probably six a year that another CFer would have gotten.

And nowhere did I say he should be a replacement for JP, but rather he's a guy you could bring to get something going with hopes of later moving him if he showcases well, or remains as a bench player or alternatively moves to right (a better position for him) either as a starter or platoon with Conine (assuming Enc is moved).

The bottom line is we seem to win alot more when the leadoff guy gets on and right now we need some wins. I don;t care if it's JP or Sanchez or the man in the moon, we need to start scoring runs and this is a guy who could help us do just that.

The downide is minimal, the upside is significant.

The cost is next to nothing to find out.

There is a big reason why this guy was one of the most hated players in Tigers history....

820728[/snapback]

And that reason is ?????

820730[/snapback]

He has no true position.

For all his speed...his base stealing ability and IQ is horrid.

When you can bat .340....with the Devil Rays, and be let go...it tells you something about your defense. His glove is absolutely putrid.

The guy can never walk....his knowledge of the strike zone is awful.

He is a singles hitter...nothing more.

As far as i've heard and such, Sanchez is a horrendous player in all stages of the game except BA......he runs the bases poorly for a guy with his speed, has a lollipop arm, takes bad angles in CF, and doesn't take enough pitches.

That is the scouting report I have on him, but Gooch and Mark would know better from his Tigers days....

EDIT: Gooch beat me to it :lol

I thought the emergence of Nook Logan and Craig Monroe mixed with the knee injury was the reason Detroit let him go, along with his wanting everyday playing time the reason they let him go in TB.

The dude can hit, which is what we need.

I thought the emergence of Nook Logan and Craig Monroe mixed with the knee injury was the reason Detroit let him go, along with his wanting everyday playing time the reason they let him go in TB.

The dude can hit, which is what we need.

820773[/snapback]

Im trying to find it...but I read numerous articles this spring training about how bad his defense was and Manager Alan Trammel ripped him a few times.

When he was releass the team cited poor defense.

The Tigers actually preferred Sanchez over Monroe in center and Nook wasnt that much in the mix at that time.

His average his last year with the Tigs was .322...his OBP .335....pretty bad.

He got threw out in 40% of his steal attempts...and this is a very fast player we are talking about.

His defensive range sucks as can be seen here... http://www.baseballmusings.com/archives/008299.php

Some interesting quotes

Tiger General Manager after he was released...

"The walks didn't bother me as much as the lack of runs scored," president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "So what does that mean? Maybe you're making too many outs on the basepaths, stealing, not running as well as you should, not having the instincts at times that you would like to have. I know we're in an era of on-base percentage, and I love it too, but runs scored to me is an even bigger stat than that. We wanted to improve upon that."

Lynn Henning, Detroit News:

Sanchez is like one of those weird high school yearbook entries: Returning Player Least Wanted By His Team. It's nothing personal, although it really is. Everyone has grown so frazzled by his version of defense, by his base-running meanderings, by his double-doors-sized strike zone, that he drags down fans as much as he deflates his teammates.

820728[/snapback]

And that reason is ?????

820730[/snapback]

He has no true position.

For all his speed...his base stealing ability and IQ is horrid.

When you can bat .340....with the Devil Rays, and be let go...it tells you something about your defense. His glove is absolutely putrid.

The guy can never walk....his knowledge of the strike zone is awful.

He is a singles hitter...nothing more.

820760[/snapback]

That sounds an awful lot like JP. :mischief2

JP can't tell the difference between a strike and a ball to save his life. He is a meh centerfielder and can't exactly steal bases anymore. And he is batting a 100 points lower. :confused That said I don't know if Sanchez is the answer. Bring me Kotsay.

I read that Gooch, in fact I quoted DD's comments above.

BTW, I'm not saying the guy is God, my thesis is simply we need a guy to get on base ahead of Luis, Miggy and Carlos, and in the short term he may fill the bill.

In an earleier thread where I brought him up I saw this as a chance for the Fish to get their smallball offense back in motion while giving Sanchez a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of other major lague cubs so that we could later trade him for someone of value (read pitching). In short a win-win both both the team and the player.

As with all these things, you are trying to take a guy off the scrap pile and improving his value. In no way am I suggesting he's a savior or a guy you build a team around. If he turned out to be another Damion Easley I'd be very satisfied.

IMO the leadoff man's job is to get things moving..and by getting on base. Sanchez doesnt get on base very well.

My personal baseball philosophy is if a player does not hit for power (meaning a good number of home runs) he'd better have a very good glove, or he can end up hurting your team.

Sanchez's glove is going to give up some runs and he wont be able to get them back for you.

IMO the leadoff man's job is to get things moving..and by getting on base. Sanchez doesnt get on base very well.

My personal baseball philosophy is if a player does not hit for power (meaning a good number of home runs) he'd better have a very good glove, or he can end up hurting your team.

Sanchez's glove is going to give up some runs and he wont be able to get them back for you.

820822[/snapback]

I agree OBP is the #1 stat of importance for a lead off man.....IMO speed is overrated at the leadoff spot. I mean it is nice (look at what Podsednik has done for my team) but as long as the leadoff man is on base and has adequate enough speed to get himself home from 1st on gap shots and 2nd on singles, he's doing his job big time.

And your right, if your not hitting for power, you better get on base and play good defense or you are worthless, and in that regard Sanchez is 0 for 3, even if he's hitting for average.

That simply isn't true. Why do you just make stuff up?

Please source your comment. I just read a complete breakdown with quotes from Dombrowski which imply, yes he made errors, and mistakes on routes but DD thought it was probably six a year that another CFer would have gotten.

It might help to actually watch the guy play -- what do you expect Dombrowski to say? He is TERRIBLE defensively -- TERRIBLE.

And nowhere did I say he should be a replacement for JP, but rather he's a guy you could bring to get something going with hopes of later moving him if he showcases well, or remains as a bench player or alternatively moves to right (a better position for him) either as a starter or platoon with Conine (assuming Enc is moved).

Oh please -- a guy that has been released TWICE in the past year is magically going to increase his trade value into something significant? The only person who could do that is Pierre himself -- Alex Sanchez is Alex Sanchez, he can be a decent leadoff man for someone because of his high average, but only a team in desperate need of one will take on his defensive shortcomings and baserunning blunders. We have Castillo -- no need.

The bottom line is we seem to win alot more when the leadoff guy gets on and right now we need some wins. I don;t care if it's JP or Sanchez or the man in the moon, we need to start scoring runs and this is a guy who could help us do just that.

Like I said before, I would MUCH rather have Castillo leading off. Similar average, better OBP, better baserunning.

The downide is minimal, the upside is significant.

The cost is next to nothing to find out.

820752[/snapback]

I agree the downside is minimal -- but the upside is minimal as well. I'd rather just let Pierre work out his problems in the 8 hole and move Lo Duca back into the second slot.

I think Sanchez is awful... but I know a player who has gone under the radar who is very similar to JP: Ryan Freel. He's the reds super sub, plays 6 positions, walks moire then he strikes out, OBP 406, and is quite adequate defensively. Mike continues to struggle? Put him at 3rd. JP sucking? Put him in Center. Castillo have another hip problem? Put him at 2nd.

Personally, I don't think we need another lead off guy to hit in front of Louie and JP, but if we did I think Freel is the best option to our team, not sanchez.

I think Sanchez is awful... but I know a player who has gone under the radar who is very similar to JP: Ryan Freel. He's the reds super sub, plays 6 positions, walks moire then he strikes out, OBP 406, and is quite adequate defensively. Mike continues to struggle? Put him at 3rd. JP sucking? Put him in Center. Castillo have another hip problem? Put him at 2nd.

Personally, I don't think we need another lead off guy to hit in front of Louie and JP, but if we did I think Freel is the best option to our team, not sanchez.

820885[/snapback]

I'm a huge fan of Freel myself -- I think he'd make an unreal addition. Him and Rob Mackowiak are a couple of guys that have value way beyond their statistics -- I feel Mackowiak would be a better fit with this team (.360+ with RISP) -- but would take either in a second.

Perhaps you missed this then:

06/23/2005 5:29 PM ET

Giants claim Sanchez off waivers

Outfielder to report to team on Friday

By CJ Bowles / Special to MLB.com

print this pageprint this page | e-mail this pageemail this page

SAN FRANCISCO -- General manager Brian Sabean announced Thursday afternoon that the Giants have claimed outfielder Alex Sanchez off waivers from the Devil Rays. Sanchez will report to San Francisco on Friday at which point the Giants will make a roster move to make room for the 28-year-old Cuban on their roster.

Sanchez may be known best for being the first Major League player to test positive for steroids under MLB's new drug policy, which requires all players who test positive to serve a 10-game suspension.

A .297 career hitter in his fifth Major League season, Sanchez was hitting .346 in 133 at-bats with, the Devil Rays while splitting time between center and right field. Despite the favorable figures, Sanchez had started only three of Tampa Bay's 11 games in June.

"He'll pinch-hit, pinch-run and play some outfield," said Giants manager Felipe Alou, who is not concerned with his new player's failed drug test at the beginning of the season. "We need to see him and play him and get him into our situation. He has two very good tools -- he can hit and he can run."

The left-handed batter is hitting .329 (153-for-465) since the beginning of the 2004 season with 25 steals. In 2003, Sanchez finished second in the American League with 44 stolen bases in just 101 games with the Tigers, after spending the beginning of the season with the Brewers in the NL. He finished the season with 52 steals.

"We're going to give this guy a chance to play baseball," said Alou. "Every year someone gets traded or released and he comes and gets better somewhere else. That's what we're hoping for here."

Hmm... sounds like what I was saying.

Been looking at Sanchez stats and I'm not convinced. Even though his career average is around .300 his own base percentage is only .30 points higher than his average, Pierre's is .50 (for their careers).

In SB percentage Pierre's (Stole 226 in 311 attempts, 73%) is better than Sanchez (Caught 120 in 176, 68%).

Sanchez strikes out a lot more than JPs. (25 K's this year in 140 plate appearences) compared to JPs (18 K's in 272 plate appearances). And don't give me this crap about K's are just another out, when you put the ball in play you can make things happen and you can force more errors and opportunites. And you all call out for small ball, well you can move a runner over with a strikeout can you. Not unless you swing so hard the bat comes flying out the hand hits the second baseman while he's trying to tag out a runner.

Also, something that has stopped JP being the complete leadoff man is that he has no power. Well Sanchez is even worse, JP leads him 8 to 6 in career HRs.

Both have 6 year careers and while Pierre has been a consistent starter, 4 times (soon to be 5) playing over 150 games. Sanchez has only twice played in over 100 (112 being his highest).

How about defense, Sanchez has a worse arm than Pierre so I'm told and a poorer fielder (.974 to JPs .988).

And if you consider these stats pretty much the same or even irrelevant consider this:

JP has symbolized the energy for this team the last two years, he is a great team mate and he works the most to realise his potential. He helped this team win a WORLD SERIES and is respected by most analysts, experts and columnists as a great ballplayer.

Alex Sanchez is a steroid user who started the season batting ninth for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

The defence rests

Absolutely hilarious.

Do you understand why he hit ninth? Obviously you don't. And I guess you didn't bother to notice that he hit in the one spot three times as often as he did in the ninth. Or that close and late he hit .360.

And by the way, the word is "defense", not "defence". The only thing you should do is go rest, it's probably your nap time.

The fact is the guy can flat out hit. I suggested we use him exactly the way Brian Sabean suggested, pinch-hitting, running and a little outfield, either in center or right where he is better defensively.

I never suggested he replace JP or we trade JP if we picked him up. My theory was to bring him in, let him resurrect his career and see if we could get something for him at a later date if we decided we didn't need him on the bench.