JP Suffering from Knoblauch's disease

WhoShaq

Anyone remember Chuck Knoblauch of the NY Yankees teams of the mid to late 90's? Remember when he hit a consistent .300 in several years with the Twins and then came over to the Yankees and hit around .260- .270? Well, being a Yankee fan originally since 1975 (and still am..but I am a bigger Marlins fan..had no problem rooting for the Marlins in the 2003 WS!), but I paid alot of attention to Knoblauch's swing in those years and it didn't even resemble the same swing he had when he was with the twins.

Chuck did nothing but pop the ball up consistently or he would pull lazy choppers down to 2nd base - all the freakin' time.

Eerily enough - now JP has been doing the same thing this season. Where is that great instinct to take a pitch and drive it the other way?or slap it the other way?Or chop it the other way? Or bunt it the other way? Everything is pull pull pull or if it does go the other way..it's a pop up or a lazy fly ball.

Now, I never did find out why the Yankees hitting coach didn't do a better job of correcting Chuck's mechanics in his swing - because it was so obvious that no one paid attention to it....or maybe Knoblauch was being shown or taught how to adjust but he just wasn't listening???!??

What I wonder about JP is this? What is Bill Robinson doing to help JP? Maybe nothing. Maybe he takes assumes since JP is such a good hitter that he will eventually straighten himself out? What worries me is that I can see how awfully bad JP's swing mechanics are off and it's seems to me that someone would of corrected it by now?

I have had always supported Bill Robinson amidst all the negative comments by fans and critics but now I am starting to jump on the bandwagon.If JP continues to make such odd UN-JP like swings - I am going to start suspecting something weird is going on. It almost looks ridiculous.

The only other time I felt this frustrated at a very good hitter was CHUCK KNOBLAUCH and HE never did get himself right.

Oh, and throwing the ball past the 1st baseman from 15 feet away almost every other time sealed it for me. JP hasn't reached the bottom of that barrel yet.

Oh, and throwing the ball past the 1st baseman from 15 feet away almost every other time sealed it for me. JP hasn't reached the bottom of that barrel yet.

820825[/snapback]

I agree with you exept i still havnt jumped the wagon for Robinson... but what does the quoted comment mean?

What I wonder about JP is this? What is Bill Robinson doing to help JP? Maybe nothing. Maybe he takes assumes since JP is such a good hitter that he will eventually straighten himself out? What worries me is that I can see how awfully bad JP's swing mechanics are off and it's seems to me that someone would of corrected it by now?

I have had always supported Bill Robinson amidst all the negative comments by fans and critics but now I am starting to jump on the bandwagon.If JP continues to make such odd UN-JP like swings - I am going to start suspecting something weird is going on. It almost looks ridiculous.

GET RID OF ROBINSON AND HIS BOSS.

820825[/snapback]

I agree with you exept i still havnt jumped the wagon for Robinson... but what does the quoted comment mean?

820835[/snapback]

My mistake.I ran the sentences together and it didn't make sense. I meant that Knoblauch used to have that Steve Sax (LA 2nd baseman 1970's & 80's) illness where he could not throw the ball to 1st base without either bouncing it by the 1st baseman or throwing it over his head.He had some kind of mental block going on.As you have heard before, it's not that uncommon. A Braves pitcher named Mark Wohlers did the same thing when he could not find the strike zone anymore and had to retire. Knoblauch had 26 errors in 1999...unheard of from the 2nd base position.Most of them were throwing errors.

When I talk about JP's plate struggles and compare them to Knoblauch's, I made the comment saying at least JP hasn't totally lost it all...yet. He can still play the field well! :D

820825[/snapback]

820835[/snapback]

My mistake.I ran the sentences together and it didn't make sense. I meant that Knoblauch used to have that Steve Sax (LA 2nd baseman 1970's & 80's) illness where he could not throw the ball to 1st base without either bouncing it by the 1st baseman or throwing it over his head.He had some kind of mental block going on.As you have heard before, it's not that uncommon. A Braves pitcher named Mark Wohlers did the same thing when he could not find the strike zone anymore and had to retire. Knoblauch had 26 errors in 1999...unheard of from the 2nd base position.Most of them were throwing errors.

When I talk about JP's plate struggles and compare them to Knoblauch's, I made the comment saying at least JP hasn't totally lost it all...yet. He can still play the field well! :D

820861[/snapback]

Regardless of my JP comments, I don't think he is a lost cause like Knoblauch became.I think JP will eventually snap out of it.He's much smarter and a much harder worker than Chuck K. was. Now Lowell...I am not so sure. But overall, if someone with a crystal ball told me that only one of these guys will eventually right the hitting ship - I would rather it be JP. Has everyone has heard in the press and it's something we here all know - if JP does not go - the Fish do not swim.

Knoblauch threw the ball at fans in the stands.

JP can't reach the stands with his arms.

820873[/snapback]

LOL! Anyway,I didn't mean to throw in the throwing arm part of all this. The fact is, JP 's swing right now is even more mysterious than Lowell's odd waving-at-curveball's-way-outside pitches. Everyone is swinging like Gonzo and Enc now. Except JP.His looks worse than Gonzo's.It's hard to explain. It's just so incredibly NonJP like swing. Anyone else notice or am I going effing crazy?

820873[/snapback]

LOL! Anyway,I didn't mean to throw in the throwing arm part of all this. The fact is, JP 's swing right now is even more mysterious than Lowell's odd waving-at-curveball's-way-outside pitches. Everyone is swinging like Gonzo and Enc now. Except JP.His looks worse than Gonzo's.It's hard to explain. It's just so incredibly NonJP like swing. Anyone else notice or am I going effing crazy?

820883[/snapback]

JP isn't suppose to be swinging so often. He is suppose to be bunting and utilizing his speed. Remember when he would get so many infield hits and steal so many bases? He needs to be like that now. What he's suppose to do is bunt, which he practices all day long, and then use his speed and run to first base. And then after a little the infield will come in, and then, and only then, can he swing and just hit the ball past them for a basehit. He's a speedy CFer that hits leadoff, who cares about his swing? I care about his legs. That's what matters!

820861[/snapback]

thanks

820873[/snapback]

820883[/snapback]

JP isn't suppose to be swinging so often. He is suppose to be bunting and utilizing his speed. Remember when he would get so many infield hits and steal so many bases? He needs to be like that now. What he's suppose to do is bunt, which he practices all day long, and then use his speed and run to first base. And then after a little the infield will come in, and then, and only then, can he swing and just hit the ball past them for a basehit. He's a speedy CFer that hits leadoff, who cares about his swing? I care about his legs. That's what matters!

820890[/snapback]

lol

820825[/snapback]

820835[/snapback]

820861[/snapback]

B.J. Upton had 27 errors in his first 70 games playing short for Durham this year. I pity those Rays fans...

And also, may I add, JP needs to start being patient! Seriously. I've been seeing him grounding out and only making the pitcher throw 3 pitches or so. He should have some more 5-6-7 pitch AB's. So not only hasn't he been getting on base, but he hasn't been making the pitcher work. And if he would atleast make the pitcher work, then his slump wouldn't be as bad, and our team hitting wouldn't be as bad. If he atleast makes the pitcher work then we could get the starter out of the game earlier and get to the bullpen, and also, the rest of our lineup that could actually hit a little bit--can see how the pitcher is pitching and that'll give them a better idea when they go up to face him.

820873[/snapback]

820883[/snapback]

820890[/snapback]

You make a GREAT point on his swinging so often.I should of made that point before anything else.He is definitely not bunting as often and as you said - thus utilizing his speed.It's not as much as his swing is off then his decison making at the plate.Thanks for pointing that out...that may be the root of the problem. By not keeping the opponents pitchers and defense off balance with his speed out of the box wreaking or wrecking havoc by bunting , he thus does not setup throwing the pitchers and defense off when he does swing (sorry I reiterated everything you just said , except longer..lol).

Amazing points,thanks!

Pierre can't hit the ball in the air. He can't think he can hit a homerun or get it over the OF's head, he has to hit the ball on the ground atleast and put pressure on the infielders to make plays. When Pierre hits the ball on the ground in the infield, the players get so nervous because they know they have to get the ball to 1st base so fast that they make so many errors! He knows how his skills can impact the game, and he has to maximize his ability.

He's the hardest worker in the whole leauge. He takes balls before each game and rolls them down the line so he could know how to bunt, and yet, he never bunts anymore!

And as far as JP stealing bases after he gets on base, he needs to remember how he did it in 2003. He needs to get a good lead off of 1st base, he can't be scared of being picked off, he has to be intrepid, that's the key, fearlessness. He needs to be aggressive and take chances. He was very quick with his first step in stealing bases. However, he can't just steal whenever he wants too. He has to steal when it really matters, like when were down 1 run and we need him to score. But when were down by more than a run, or when were up by a lot, we can't give the opposing team outs like that, so in those cases he shoudn't run. Pierre has GREAT instincts, and he used that in 03 to steal the most bases in the leauge although he's not the fastest in the leauge.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember Chuck Knoblauch of the NY Yankees teams of the mid to late 90's? Remember when he hit a consistent .300 in several years with the Twins and then came over to the Yankees and hit around .260- .270? Well, being a Yankee fan originally since 1975 (and still am..but I am a bigger Marlins fan..had no problem rooting for the Marlins in the 2003 WS!), but I paid alot of attention to Knoblauch's swing in those years and it didn't even resemble the same swing he had when he was with the twins.

Chuck did nothing but pop the ball up consistently or he would pull lazy choppers down to 2nd base - all the freakin' time.

Eerily enough - now JP has been doing the same thing this season. Where is that great instinct to take a pitch and drive it the other way?or slap it the other way?Or chop it the other way? Or bunt it the other way? Everything is pull pull pull or if it does go the other way..it's a pop up or a lazy fly ball.

Now, I never did find out why the Yankees hitting coach didn't do a better job of correcting Chuck's mechanics in his swing - because it was so obvious that no one paid attention to it....or maybe Knoblauch was being shown or taught how to adjust but he just wasn't listening???!??

The only other time I felt this frustrated at a very good hitter was CHUCK KNOBLAUCH and HE never did get himself right.

820825[/snapback]

Folks today accused me of lending nothing to this forum.That I have no knowledge or creedence to lend to this forum.Do a search of Whoshaq and you'll find that I have more knowledge of MLB than probably 95% of the members on this board.I will challenge anyone to my knowledge of the game.

I gaurantee that most of this post went over all of your heads.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.