Marlin's Beinfest/Loria Worst Move Ever?

Can any of you people who knock the signing of Mike Lowell explain to me HOW it was a mistake at the time. This guys blows Scott Rolen out of the water offensivley and it probrably the best compairson defensivley yet Rolen still makes 4 or 5 million more a year I believe.

850626[/snapback]

I sure didn't mind them signing Lowell, but "blows Scott Rolen out of the water offensively"???

:blink:

I don't even propose trading Lowell right now. This is my favorite Marlin mind you. I'm just suggesting bringing up Hermida to see if he can give the offense a little shot in the arm, and meanwhile sitting the weakest position in the lineup thus far. Give Lowell a week off maybe, or platoon some guys. If Hermida looks to be ready, maybe it opens up an Encarnacion deal or something.

I should add that I do think Lowell will come out of this eventually. I'm just not sure if the team can afford to sit around and wait for it to happen.

It has nothing to do with Lowell. Absolutly nothing to do with how good he is on the field or how popular he is.

Simply the team was in a tight spot after the 2003 championship. Everyone and their mother was asking for huge raises. Some cuts needed to be made and Lowell represented the one with the least risk involved (having Cabrera available) and greatest possible value (couldn't trade Pudge or Luiy; not many teams wanted/needed Lee).

It has nothing to do with Lowell. Absolutly nothing to do with how good he is on the field or how popular he is.

Simply the team was in a tight spot after the 2003 championship. Everyone and their mother was asking for huge raises. Some cuts needed to be made and Lowell represented the one with the least risk involved (having Cabrera available) and greatest possible value (couldn't trade Pudge or Luiy; not many teams wanted/needed Lee).

850713[/snapback]

exactly, nice way of explaining why

signing Carlos Delgado :plain

850012[/snapback]

I feel the same way. Everyone on the mlb board has been on my case because I said Carlos is inconsistent, can't play 1st base, is slow, has a lifetime batting avergae of .282 and is not proven to be a clutch hitter.

I like the man for what he can do, but talk abvout overrated from the git go!

So what if he hits dingers and RBIs when we are already 4 runs ahead in late innings?

He Ks a lot and chokes with RISP more often than I'd like. He is not the godsend folks expected, but few will take an objective look at him. To me it is truly funny. :p

Delgado was not going to be what they hoped for.

LIFETIME b.a. is .262, not a good defensive 1st baseman, slow runner, lot's of strikeouts, not consistent. He is a slugger and he won't play small ball with RISP.

He loves to chat with the runners on 1st base though...gotta love it.

Pudge he sure ain't.... :mad

LIFETIME b.a. is .262, not a good defensive 1st baseman, slow runner, lot's of strikeouts, not consistent, etc. etc. He is a slugger and he sure won't play small ball with RISP.

852262[/snapback]

I seriously question your baseball knowledge.

Delgado provides protection to the line-up, I think that's a big factor that should be considered. Also, check the money given to Beltre and Sexson. We didn't get ripped off

How much has he helped the team?? Protection to the lineup, oh my!!

Since your knowledge of baseball is greater than mine I guess you can see this. I sure can't.

I like him ok; he is intelligent and studious of every pitch with his notepad. But so far he has not been clutch, he has not won games for us. He has not proved to be worth what he cost. :thumbdown

How has he helped the team?? Protection to the lineup????

I like hime, but he has not proved to be worth what he cost. :thumbdown

852266[/snapback]

LOL!

A guy that just switched leagues and has:

18 HR

Top 5 in RBIs with 66

by the break. Can't ask any more than that

My husband played for years in the minors (he is Canadian). He knows Delgado's history well from the Jays. It takes him to critiques the value of Delgado to a team.

Winning games is not so much about BA, HRs or even RBIs. It is about situational play. It is about not choking when the game is on the line. That is what I would ask for in a player.

Pudge :

.292 average

6 HR's

32 RBI's

4 SB's

.304 OBP

.456 SLG

136 TB's

LoDuca:

.286 average

2 HR's

34 RBI's

3 SB's

.338 OBP

.375 SLG

105 TB's

look and compare.

LoDuca is better in RBI's and OBP and Only trails Pudge by... 6 points in average, 4 HR's, 1 SB, 81 Points in SLG, and 31 in total bases.

tell me that the money saved aint worth it !

LIFETIME b.a.? is .262, not a good defensive 1st baseman, slow runner, lot's of strikeouts, not consistent.? He is a slugger and he? won't play small ball with RISP.

852262[/snapback]

He is not allowed to.

One by his coaching staff who we may not always agree with but know well enough not to take the bat out of a guy's hands who very likely could score many more runs with one swing than any small ball.

And two by opposing teams, they're busting him inside all the time. His only chance to get a hit or get that run in is to hit the ball as hard as possible that the CF, RF, 2B (playing short RF), SS (playing 2B) and 1B can't get to it. With the rare pitches that have floated to the other half of the side of the plate, he hasn't been afraid to slap them the other way through the large hole between 2B and 3B. Just the other day he tried that and it turned into a 563 double play.

tell me that the money saved aint worth it !

852279[/snapback]

Think about the money that would have been saved by a Redmond/Willingham platoon that would provide comparable - if not better - defense than LoDuca, and comparable offense than either.

1- Not signing Vladimir Guerrero when we had the chance.

2- Not resigning Pudge.

Everything else, like someone already said, seemed fine at the time. Al Leiter, it happens. No one else was going to take a one year deal. The trade, it's probably turned out better for us and if either Pudge or Vlad are here, it's not necessary anyways more than likely. Lowell, well, who could foresee this kind of year happening? And Delgado's contract is definitely not a mistake. Maybe giving that money to Vlad or Pudge, that's fine. But not a mistake.

Choi was acquired for Lee to clear money for Pudge though so I don't count that as a bad move.

850397[/snapback]

we never had a chance at Vlad....we weren't ready to bring the kind of deal the Angels did. can't bash the FO for that one - Vlad didn't exactly slip through our fingers. like Pudge and Pavano, he accepted an offer that we couldn't and would never dare match.

The Leiter move is most definitely the worst move for a few reasons. For one, a lot of us were knocking the move before the season even started. Leiter, even at his best, would have given us a solid 5-6 innings of baseball. That's not bad, but certainly not worth the contract he got, especially for a financially challenged baseball team. This was a move that sorta left me scratching my head in the preseason, and now it looks downright atrocious.

I don't see how you guys can say re-signing Lowell was a bad move. Over the last five years his numbers have been on par with just about any third basemen out there, and his defense has been great as well. If you look at the numbers, Lowell's numbers in the past have been pretty similar to Rolen's. That's just the baseball part of it; Lowell is this generations "Mr. Marlin." Letting him go would have been a disaster.

I will say that I am beginning to believe more in Pudge than I had in the past. He is more important than his numbers suggest, and LoDuca is not the player he is. That said, you can't fault the FO for what they did. They made a real effort to keep him, they just couldn't afford to break the bank for him.

At the time, or with hindsight, the Leiter move was the worst IMO.

Guest Juanky

1- Not signing Vladimir Guerrero when we had the chance.

2- Not resigning Pudge.

Everything else, like someone already said, seemed fine at the time. Al Leiter, it happens. No one else was going to take a one year deal. The trade, it's probably turned out better for us and if either Pudge or Vlad are here, it's not necessary anyways more than likely. Lowell, well, who could foresee this kind of year happening? And Delgado's contract is definitely not a mistake. Maybe giving that money to Vlad or Pudge, that's fine. But not a mistake.

Choi was acquired for Lee to clear money for Pudge though so I don't count that as a bad move.

850397[/snapback]

we never had a chance at Vlad....we weren't ready to bring the kind of deal the Angels did. can't bash the FO for that one - Vlad didn't exactly slip through our fingers. like Pudge and Pavano, he accepted an offer that we couldn't and would never dare match.

852433[/snapback]

It's all kind of a moot point now.....but the Angels only jumped into the deal after Vlad came here and all we offered him was a one year deal.

None of those trades/moves were bad its just they didnt perform to what they are expected of like Leiter. Who knew he would be a bust? He was great with NYM for like 5 years being so dominate. I would go with the Leiter move though. 8 million to waste.