Cefalo and Rose New Dolphins Broadcast Team

RossInfoMan

They were teammates with the Dolphins from 1980-84, and now, in 2005, they will be teammates once again. Former Dolphins Jimmy Cefalo and Joe Rose were named to the broadcast team for all Dolphin games on 790 The Ticket, the first-year flagship radio station of the club.

Cefalo will handle the play-by-play and be the ?Voice of the Dolphins,? while Rose will serve as the color analyst. Along with the Seattle Seahawks, the Dolphins are now one of only two NFL teams in 2005 to feature former players in both broadcast roles.

?We?re thrilled to have Jimmy Cefalo and Joe Rose broadcast our games,? said Joe Bailey, Chief Executive Officer of Dolphins Enterprises. ?Having played for the Dolphins, Jimmy and Joe know the tradition of success that exists with our franchise. The fact that they are both former players should provide our fans with a unique perspective. Coupled with their extensive coverage of the Dolphins for more than 20 years collectively as members of the South Florida media, they are thoroughly familiar with the team and can bring an ?insider? viewpoint to their comments. Finally, they both are extremely popular in this market and bring to the microphone their own individual style, which should make every broadcast ?Must Hear? for Dolphin fans.?

While Cefalo begins his first season as the team?s play-by-play announcer, he certainly is no stranger to Dolphins fans or the broadcast booth. He also serves as the sports director for WPLG-TV (Channel 10), first joining that station in October of 1992 as the host of Sports Monday. Since then, he has become both the sports director and sports anchor for Local 10 News Monday through Friday and anchors the station?s popular ?Sports Jam Live,? which airs on Sunday nights. He also hosts a radio show every Saturday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m. on 790 The Ticket.

Before joining WPLG, Cefalo assembled a long list of impressive broadcast credentials. He is best known for his work as a color analyst on NBC?s network telecasts of the NFL and also served as a correspondent for NBC News on the ?Today Show,? sports anchor for ?NBC News at Sunrise? and co-host of NBC?s broadcast of the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul. Cefalo also co-hosted ?PM Magazine? and ?AM South Florida? on WTVJ-TV and hosted the ?Trump Card? game show nationally distributed by Warner Brothers Television. In 1988, Cefalo snared an Emmy for his writing on NBC?s Olympic telecasts. In addition, the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association named him Florida Sportscaster of the Year five times (1998, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004).

Prior to his broadcasting career, Cefalo played seven seasons with the Dolphins (1978-84) as a wide receiver, and finished with 93 catches for 1,739 yards and 13 touchdowns. His best season came in 1981, when he caught 29 passes for 631 yards (an average of 21.8 yards per catch) and three touchdowns. He also was a member of two Dolphins Super Bowl teams, and in Super Bowl XVII against the Washington Redskins, he caught a 76-yard touchdown pass from David Woodley, which at the time was the second-longest reception in Super Bowl history. Cefalo originally joined the Dolphins as a third-round draft choice in 1978 following a stellar collegiate career at Penn State.

Similarly, Rose followed the same path from the field to the broadcast booth. He currently serves as the sports director for WTVJ-TV (Channel 6), joining that station in 1992. He serves as a co-host of the station?s broadcast of ?FINS-TV? in partnership with the Dolphins, and has co-hosted ?The Coach?s Show? on that outlet. He serves as a sports analyst on WTVJ throughout the week and also is featured on the station?s successful ?Sunday Sports Final? as well. Along with his television work, Rose is well known locally for his popular 7:00 ? 10:00 a.m. weekday radio show on 790 The Ticket.

Rose was a Dolphins tight end from 1980-85, and in that time caught 112 passes for 1,493 yards and 13 touchdowns. He had his best year in 1983, when he had 29 catches for 345 yards and three touchdowns. He is best known for catching Dan Marino?s first regular season touchdown pass, a six-yard TD reception on September 19, 1983 in Los Angeles versus the Raiders. Rose originally was a seventh round draft pick of the Dolphins in 1980 after playing at the University of California.

The 2005 Miami Dolphins season marks the first year that 790 The Ticket will serve as the flagship station for the Dolphins? radio network. The games will be carried on an extensive statewide radio network, allowing Dolphins fans throughout Florida to follow the team on radio.

In addition to the broadcast of Dolphins games themselves, 790 The Ticket also will be carrying extensive Dolphins programming on game-days. That array will begin with an extensive pre-game show, which begins four hours prior to kickoff, and will culminate with an in-depth post-game show featuring locker room interviews and analysis. 790 The Ticket also will broadcast a wide range of Dolphins shows throughout the week, including ?The Nick Saban Show? as well as an hour-long daily program totally devoted to coverage of the team. Furthermore, 790 The Ticket features NFL play-by-play programming on Sunday nights and Monday nights and weekly commentary and insight from NFL experts, which is exclusive in the market.

790 The Ticket is the markets only 24-hour sports station. 790 The Ticket boasts original local programs hosted by some of the most recognizable and respected names in South Florida sports, including Rose and Cefalo along with Dan LeBatard and Jon ?Stugotz? Weiner, O.J. McDuffie, Jon ?Boog? Sciambi, and Jeff DeForrest.

790 The Ticket is also recognized as a radio partner of The Miami Heat featuring weekly programs with President Pat Riley, Coach Stan Van Gundy, and players, and is the market?s exclusive home of the NBA. South Florida sports fans can also tune in for play-by-play coverage of NCAA Football and Basketball, Horse Racing?s Triple Crown, as well as coverage of the NHL, Olympics, and both golf and tennis major tournaments.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pres...?contentID=3938

I prefer these two to anything with the word Mandich in it.

Only thing is it will be odd for Cefalo to be doing the play-by-play as a former player. That role is usually not for a former player.

Joe Rose is good.

I am happy...now 790 needs a pregame show, an FM Miami station and affiliates around the state.

Guest marlins02

cefalo aint just a former player, he's an actual tv man, studied journalism back in Penn state and actually didnt plan on playing in the NFL until the dolphins drafted him. he aint the typical athlete that just stumbled on to a tv career.

cefalo aint just a former player, he's an actual tv man, studied journalism back in Penn state and actually didnt plan on playing in the NFL until the dolphins drafted him. he aint the typical athlete that just stumbled on to a tv career.

851076[/snapback]

Cefalo isn't the usual type of person.

i like this decision. joe rose has grown on me over the past few months of listening to him on 790

851113[/snapback]

ugh i hate that show. he just drops useless coments like "great stuff" and "that was fun to watch"

hell be alright as an analyst, but Mandich is better. but Cefalo is an upgrade over Howard David

i like this decision. joe rose has grown on me over the past few months of listening to him on 790

851113[/snapback]

ugh i hate that show. he just drops useless coments like "great stuff" and "that was fun to watch"

hell be alright as an analyst, but Mandich is better. but Cefalo is an upgrade over Howard David

851426[/snapback]

They could dig up Rick Weaver and he'd still be an upgrade over David...

Guest marlins02

I wanted Mad Dog. His shameless homerism is freaking awesome.

851812[/snapback]

yes, i loved how excited thta man would get when good s*** happened and how he'd trash the team when they f***ed up. :thumbup

Guest Fritz

I wanted Mad Dog. His shameless homerism is freaking awesome.

851812[/snapback]

yes, i loved how excited thta man would get when good s*** happened and how he'd trash the team when they f***ed up. :thumbup

851880[/snapback]

My favorite line of all time:

"The defensive line is dumb. Coach Wannstedt is dumbfounded."