The Official "If You Were The GM" Thread

After another bad loss to the Phillies and seeing what everyone has to say about what the Marlins should do. I thought it would be a good idea to have everyone's ideas about what they would do if they could control the Marlins. Here is what I would do.

1. Fire Bill Robinson. Guy needs to go. He is not the complete problem with the team,but is a big part IMO.

2. Fire Jack. I know it seems like I'm firing people left and right, but I dont see any urgency from this team whats so ever. Again he is not the MAIN reason why we are doing bad, but things need to be shaken up. Historically, Jack has not had good seasons in his 3rd year of managing.

3. Trade AJ. I said earlier in the year that this guy is over rated and everyone hated on me. The guy has great stuff, but has a hard time winning games. I believe with this loss, he is now 2 games under .500 for his career. Not a quality ace, but could be a good 2-4 guy in the rotation that many playoff teams want. Teams would be willing to give ALOT for this guy.. As for who to get, the choices are hard. Ideally, a package with a young pitcher, a good bat for NOW, and maybe another role player/bullpen help for AJ/Juan would be great.

4. Give the "other players" more time for a consistent time. Aguilla, Easley, and Conine should be used more.

Thats all for now. We must remember here guys that sometimes roster don't work out. Look at all the Yankee's rosters, who were thought to be great and they just did not work. Lets hope thing changes. Big ups to Vargas who pitched very well tonight!!!

Fire Robinson.

Gauge the market for AJ, if we can't get any less than a new young middle of the rotation starter and an outfield bat, hold on to him and try to resign him in the offseason (he'll only get Kris Benson money, and he'll be signable for us). At the very worst he'll get us two picks.

Give Lowell the weekend, if he can't hit the cover off the ball in Philly, he won't ever right this season. Put Conine in left, and Cabrera at third.

Any worse than 5-5 on this roadie or 6 games out of the Wild Card/Division, sell in two weeks by driving a bidding war for Mota and Encarnacion, but hold AJ unless we get a Kazmir type deal...

If I'm the GM I make a move and shake-up the coaching staff. I let Jack, Robinson and Cox go. I hire Bob Boone as manager, Andre Dawson as hitting coach and Mike Mordecai as third base coach. Unless Boone has others in mind. I pull the trigger on a deal for AJ and try to package either Lowell or Encarnacion in that deal. I wait until August to ship the left-over player to a team desperate for the playoffs. I'm looking in return for these trades a starting pitcher, a relief pitcher and an outifelder. Cabs is now my third baseman. Of course I've resigned myself to wait until next year, while still trying to be comptetive for this year. I bring up more kids to see if they'll be able to hack in the show, players like Mike Flannery, Ronald Belisaro, Josh Wilson and Eric Reed. In September I run in Andino, Hermida, Jorgy and Padgett for a look see. After the year I thank JP for all his hard work and wish him well in his future endeavors. I then wait for my budget that I think will remain around the same to make my future moves. Not bad for the first 6 months on the job.

You trade AJ to the White Sox or Blue Jays for the prospects being talked about

or you move AJ and Encarnacion to the Yankees for Sheffield

you trade Lowell to whoever, you move Cabs to 3rd, and either bring up Hermida or put Conine or someone out there

JUST DO SOMETHING!

You trade AJ to the White Sox or Blue Jays for the prospects being talked about

or you move AJ and Encarnacion to the Yankees for Sheffield

you trade Lowell to whoever, you move Cabs to 3rd, and either bring up Hermida or put Conine or someone out there

JUST DO SOMETHING!

856212[/snapback]

If the Yankees pay for some of Sheffield's contract next year and Sheffield if cool with that, which I still don't think he is, I'm all for that deal. I've always thought AJ was overrated. He tries to K too many guys.

I don't think we could trade Lowell and his entire contract without packaging him with AJ. I still would see if the Jays would take AJ/Lowell/Johnson for Wells straight up without AJ signing a long term deal. If they could resign AJ, that would help them out in the future. I'm fine with our SP without getting a SP to replace AJ. We need to trade AJ for a big bat. We could always trade for a Redman type of pitcher.

1. Pierre

2. Castillo

3. Cabrera (3B)

4. Delgado

5. Wells (RF)

6. Lo Duca

7. Conine/Hermida (LF)

8. Gonzo

*DIES*

There are a couple moves that are obvious.

Cabrera goes to third. Lowell to the bench. Conine goes to left.

You have better offense and better defense.

Without alot of thought as to trades and pitching, I can't go further but the idea of just bringing up the kids isn't realistic.

We are the same number of games out as we started the day. All is not lost.

For once in my life I am actually going to post something serious. I like the idea of moving Cabrera to third if Lowell never comes around (give him two more weeks). But I am not entirely sure that Conine would be that great of a hitter right now. I am also not so sure Hermida would be the best bet right now either. It just seems too iffy. But at the same time, what do we have to lose?

For once in my life I am actually going to post something serious. I like the idea of moving Cabrera to third if Lowell never comes around (give him two more weeks). But I am not entirely sure that Conine would be that great of a hitter right now. I am also not so sure Hermida would be the best bet right now either. It just seems too iffy. But at the same time, what do we have to lose?

856259[/snapback]

I seem to be using that phrase a lot when talking about the Marlins. I think the Front Office should use that as this year's Phrase.

--FLORIDA MARLINS BASEBALL--

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE??

For once in my life I am actually going to post something serious.? I like the idea of moving Cabrera to third if Lowell never comes around (give him two more weeks).? But I am not entirely sure that Conine would be that great of a hitter right now.? I am also not so sure Hermida would be the best bet right now either.? It just seems too iffy.? But at the same time, what do we have to lose?

856259[/snapback]

I seem to be using that phrase a lot when talking about the Marlins. I think the Front Office should use that as this year's Phrase.

--FLORIDA MARLINS BASEBALL--

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE??

856297[/snapback]

Funny, but true... sometimes.

Bullpen has become #1, they have been god awful the last few games. If we can get Wagner for a reasonable price then get it done, if not then Baez would be fine with me. Also when we do a A.J./Enc deal make sure we get an additonal arm in that deal.

Need a bat, Sheff is still my main man of choice but he will be whining and crying then entire time he's in teal so no go. I still love Dunn, he's that massive powerthreat we can stick in the #5 slot behind Delgado and Cabs plus we can get him a little cheaper then we could Sheff.

A.J. will be gone and I love that Chacin guy the Jays have and if we can get him and Batista for A.J./Enc/Prospect then DO IT.

We'd be literally selling the farm but I really want to see this team make it, it needs to make it because it will be a disgusting disappointment if they don't.

Lineup and Pitching crew when done though would look sick.

1. Pierre.

2. Castillo

3. Delgado

4. Cabrera

5. Dunn

6. Lo Duca

7. Lowell

8. Gonzalez

Beckett

Willis

Chacin

Olsen

Moehler

Mecir

Messanger

Mota

Jones

Batista

Wagner (If we get Batista I have no problem with not getting him, but your bullpen can NEVER be to deep)

Bullpen has become #1, they have been god awful the last few games. If we can get Wagner for a reasonable price then get it done, if not then Baez would be fine with me. Also when we do a A.J./Enc deal make sure we get an additonal arm in that deal.

Need a bat, Sheff is still my main man of choice but he will be whining and crying then entire time he's in teal so no go. I still love Dunn, he's that massive powerthreat we can stick in the #5 slot behind Delgado and Cabs plus we can get him a little cheaper then we could Sheff.

A.J. will be gone and I love that Chacin guy the Jays have and if we can get him and Batista for A.J./Enc/Prospect then DO IT.

We'd be literally selling the farm but I really want to see this team make it, it needs to make it because it will be a disgusting disappointment if they don't.

1. Pierre.

2. Castillo

3. Delgado

4. Cabrera

5. Dunn

6. Lo Duca

7. Lowell

8. Gonzalez

Beckett

Willis

Chacin

Olsen

Moehler

Mecir

Messanger

Mota

Jones

Batista

Wagner (If we get Batista I have no problem with not getting him, but your bullpen can NEVER be to deep)

856348[/snapback]

If you switch Lowell and Enc in your trade to the Blue Jays, I'm cool with that. GET RID of Lowell if we trade AJ. Paying him $16 million over the next two years will kill us.

This is what i would try to do, might not happen or maybe?

I Love A.J but something has to happen and if that means trading him to make this team better then lets do it, heres my trade thought.......

AJ/Enc/Prospect(kensing/or bazardo/ or tank) for......Wells/batista/chacin

if they dont give us chacin, then we take...wells/batista/cash

then we trade Willingham/vargas ....for Javy Vazquez/cash

Pierre(CF) Starting 5

Castillo(2b)

Cabrerra(LF/3B) 1. beckett

Delgado(1B) 2. willis

Wells(RF) 3. vazquez/chacin

Lowell(3B) or Hermida (LF) 4. mohler

Lo Duca© 5. olsen

Gonzo(SS)

Bullpen

Mecir

valdez

de los santos

AA (when he comes back)

7th inning Batista

8th inning mota

9th inning jones

Thats what i would do, dont know if this would be capable of happening but i think it is good, and it was set up good for next year too :thumbup

Need a bat, Sheff is still my main man of choice but he will be whining and crying then entire time he's in teal so no go. I still love Dunn, he's that massive powerthreat we can stick in the #5 slot? behind Delgado and Cabs plus we can get him a little cheaper then we could Sheff.

1. Pierre.

2. Castillo

3. Delgado

4. Cabrera

5. Dunn

6. Lo Duca

7. Lowell

8. Gonzalez

Beckett

Willis

Chacin

Olsen

Moehler

Mecir

Messanger

Mota

Jones

Batista

856348[/snapback]

If you switch Lowell and Enc in your trade to the Blue Jays, I'm cool with that. GET RID of Lowell if we trade AJ. Paying him $16 million over the next two years will kill us.

856353[/snapback]

I still want Lowell's defense at third and eventually he will turn his hitting around. I rather wait for him to turn it around then watch him do it in a Jays uniform. We all know Lowell will come back to himself eventually, and like I said lets have him here when he does.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I still want Lowell's defense at third and eventually he will turn his hitting around. I rather wait for him to turn it around then watch him do it in a Jays uniform. We all know Lowell will come back to himself eventually, and like I said lets have him here when he does.

I don't think anyone knows that lowell will come back to his old form. Moreover, I don't think many THINK that he will come back to his old form. Also, about your earlier moves, how do we get out hands on Dunn? If we are trading AJ, Enc, and a prospect to Toronto, what do we have left over that can be sent over to Cincinatti for Dunn? He's still a pretty decent commodity that will require more than just a couple of low level prospects.

I don't think anyone knows that lowell will come back to his old form. Moreover, I don't think many THINK that he will come back to his old form. Also, about your earlier moves, how do we get out hands on Dunn? If we are trading AJ, Enc, and a prospect to Toronto, what do we have left over that can be sent over to Cincinatti for Dunn? He's still a pretty decent commodity that will require more than just a couple of low level prospects.

856400[/snapback]

We have a fairly thick farm and have quite a few prospects to wheel and deal plus that is all the Reds will really want, they are the biggest sellers this year I think and we should jump on it. A package of Vargas or Olsen/Willy/Johnson and maybe another lower quality pitcher like Chad Bentz or Ben Howard. I have a feeling alot of prospect pitchers may be traded which is why they took so many in the draft.

As for Lowell, your right no one knows. It's just amazing how this is happening, I mean players slump and they can slump for a long time, I know been there done that. But this is insane, you cannot just lose it all of a sudden like that and never get it back. If he doesn't though, then I suppose the best solution would be bench him or cut him like we did Leiter and bring up Hermidia and move Cabs to 3rd. Honestly I think he will break out of it, and I'd love for him to be in teal when it happens cause it will be vicious.

856387[/snapback]

If you believe that Lowell will eventually turn around his batting, then you don't trade him, but you do bench him NOW, not in a couple of weeks when the season may be lost.

My last choice would be to trade Lowell (but if it happens, so be it), but just trying to think outside the box:

Lowell to the bench, Cabrera to third (he can't play outfield anymore), the season ends, Gonzalez signs elsewhere, Luis to SS, Lowell to second, Cabrera stays at third.

Don't like the idea, feel free to disagree. It's just an idea.

Further, AJ and Vargas to New York for Sheffield, Encarnacion for a reliever, Conine to left, Sheffield in right.

So the 2005 team is

Pierre

Castillo

Delgado

Sheffield

Cabrera

LoDuca

Conine

Gonzalez

*pitcher*

Beckett

Willis

Moehler

Olsen

Valdez

(Alfonseca)

(Spooneybarger)

Jones

Mota

Mecir

Bump

*pitcher 1*

*pitcher 2*

*pitcher 3*

(*pitcher 1-2-3* may ultimately be filled with AA or Spooney)

Easley

Lowell

Harris

Aguila

Treanor

Lowell will come back to his old form folks. He is a great defensive player as wel. I think seriously he should be considered to be kept even with the high contract. He took one for the team in less cash to stay here. We can support him through that.

My moves are the following

AJ and Enc to the White Sox for McCarthy, Marte, Brian Anderson/Mike Sweeney (one of those two), and Contras (salary dump for them not too bad a pitcher for us)

I would then spin off McCarthy to TB for Baez

I would Place a platoon of Connie (Righty)/ Hermida (lefty) in Right field for us.

I would then try to move for a good solid starter like Redman or vazquez (if we can afford him). Sending off Vargas/johnson/willy something along those lines for him Or perhaps Sweeney/Anderson that we aquired from the White sox.

I would also give Leitter to the Yanks for a Player to be named later and cash 4 mill (so we can pay off that bad move before)

Starting rotation

Beckett (when back)

Olsen

willis

Moehler

Vasquez (sp)

bullpen

AA (when back)/spunny when back

Resop

Mota

Baez

Marte

Jones

valdez (long relief)/ moheler if needed for long relief

I think those are the best moves to be made. It would shake up the team but not tear it totally apart.

First, I notice that many people are talking like the Marlins can make 2 or 3 MAJOR trades. However, in professional sports, that is very unlikely, especially in this age when economices are a major factor in most transactions. If you look at professional sports history, unless you're holding a fire-sale, most teams make 1 major trade and if a 2nd is made, they are considered finished with their moves and are praised for being "very active." The only time that I saw anything close to a non-fire-sale trading spree in professional sports was in basketball when Pat Riley 1st came to the Heat and traded 2/3rds of the roster at the trading deadline. On that trading spree, there were about 4 trades, but only the one that brought in Tim Hardaway was considered a MAJOR trade. Other than that, you really don't see that level of activity.

OK, with that said; the fact is that the Marlins have the pieces in place for 1 major trade and another decent 1 or 2, so you have to consider what do you want to do overall before you start trading wildly and realize at the end that you don't have any other bargaining chips to finish your goals. With that in mind, I would have to say that I would focus on getting another quality SP (2 since you're trading AJ), 2 solid dependable relievers, and an OF that has a nice bat. Also, we need to change the entire coaching staff along with Jack.

For the SP and OF, the Marlins may have the opportunity for their 1 major trade. They have Minnesota and Toronto on the phone. I would go in 1 of 2 directions. If I go with Toronto, obviously Lowell isn't needed there because they have alot of 3Bs there, so this would be a deal involving AJ and Encarnacion. I would definitely look at Chacin and a player that can play OF solidly. Now, many people keep saying go for Vernon Wells, but realistically, that isn't going to happen even if you added Lowell because remember, Lowell has no value to the Jays. So a guy that the fish can consider bringing in return is Alex Rios or Reed Johnson, who simply replace Encarnacion's bat and Rios is a young potential star if you can get Toronto to budge. Now, with Minnesota looking at Lowell, I would stay firm on having Rios. If they don't budge, I go to Minnesota looking to make a major deal beyond just trading Lowell. If the Toronto deal works with Rios, I just deal Lowell along with some "prospects" for a SP like Joe Mays or Kyle Lohse along with a RP like righties Jesse Crain or Matt Guerrier who are solid and young and hopefully OF Lew Ford. If the Toronto trade doesn't work, I would then add AJ Burnett, who may seriously interest Minnesota and ask for Jasque Jones, Kyle Lohse, and either of the above-mentioned relievers. I would then send Juan Encarnacion to the team that offers the best SP in return. I would stay away from the Orioles deal entirely unless they offer something that can't be refused. What can make any of this happen is people's perception of AJ's value.

My next deal would involve another RP, maybe a package that involves Josh Willingham and any other "prospects," other than Hermida and Olsen, (definitely Logan "batting practice" Kensing) to see who is willing to give up a strong reliever for prospects. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and Seattle are the most likely of those types of teams. Baez would be my priority, but I will not cross over the line of being suckered like the Mets did with Kazmir. If not Tampa, I would see Pittsburgh about Mesa and see if a package of prospects could also land us Redman too as insurance for Beckett. If not them either, I would see Seattle, but it may be a little more difficult to get them to give up Guardado. If none work out, I would see Kansas City about MacDougal and his current status.

Also, I'll say this; I would have tried Al Leiter for a week in the bullpen before letting him go to see if I could get something out of him for that money. He would see time only against lefties. If he works out, great; if not bye-bye. Well, he's gone any way, so I would grab up anyone that is breathing and can stand in the bullpen---preferably a lefty. Is Jesse Orozco still interested in getting lefties out? Hell, I think that he retired too early, he was only 75. I'm sure that he could get lefties out all the way until he is on his death bed.

After my transactions, I would say bye to Jack and his entire coaching staff and would welcome Davey Lopes and allow him to choose his own staff with me only suggesting to bring in Whitey Herzog as a bench coach and to consider Mike Mordecai somewhere down the line. Why did Jack and his staff make it pass the All-Star Break?

I would also hand over Davey Lopes the button to destroy the leg restraints that Jack installed on our baserunners.

Now, here is how the team would probably look under Lopes:

Lineup if the Toronto gives Rios after both trades:

Pierre

Castillo

Delgado

Cabrera

Rios/Conine

LoDuca

Ford/Conine

Gonzalez

Lineup if Toronto doesn't give up Rios:

Pierre

Castillo

Delgado

Cabrera

Jones

LoDuca

Conine

Gonzalez

SPs:

Beckett

Willis

Mays/Lohse

Moehler

Olsen

RPs:

Baez/Mesa/Guardado/MacDougal

Jones

Mota (if I don't include him in a package)

I. Valdez (ditto)

Redman (if aquired, really just here as insurance)

Crain/Guerrier

Mecir

????? (whatever warm body that I can get for Leiter)

:hat

First, put a gun to my head because I put together a great team and I get nothing in return.

Then after I calm down I go to Tallahassee and put the gun to THEIR head and blame the team's problems on the stadium deal.

Then while I sit in jail waiting trial I start on the trade market.

- Get TOP dollar for AJ. No more picks. We have enohgh young pitchers and our farm system will take care of that (ie: Olsen and Beckett). See if you can get some guys you can afford to keep for 3 years.

- DO NOT sign Alex if he decides he wants to negotiate for more money. His bat isn't worth it and although he makes some nice plays he screws up the routine ones. But if he takes your first offer than sign him up because he is still a underrated SS.

- Trade Beckett. This guy is so inconsistent and injury prone we may not be able to get much for him. But trade him now while value is high. OR since you have him for a couple of more cheap years keep him but move him down in the rotation (5 spot?)

- Kiss the feet of Dontrell Willis and Brian Mohler for at least keeping this team in the media's eye (mostly willis).

Then as I get out of jail on a pleade of insanity I will call up Walt Jockety and ask him how he became such a stud in the FO.

The end!

First, put a gun to my head because I put together a great team and I get nothing in return.

Then after I calm down I go to Tallahassee and put the gun to THEIR head and blame the team's problems on the stadium deal.

Then while I sit in jail waiting trial I start on the trade market.

- Get TOP dollar for AJ. No more picks. We have enohgh young pitchers and our farm system will take care of that (ie: Olsen and Beckett). See if you can get some guys you can afford to keep for 3 years.

- DO NOT sign Alex if he decides he wants to negotiate for more money. His bat isn't worth it and although he makes some nice plays he screws up the routine ones. But if he takes your first offer than sign him up because he is still a underrated SS.

- Trade Beckett. This guy is so inconsistent and injury prone we may not be able to get much for him. But trade him now while value is high. OR since you have him for a couple of more cheap years keep him but move him down in the rotation (5 spot?)

- Kiss the feet of Dontrell Willis and Brian Mohler for at least keeping this team in the media's eye (mostly willis).

Then as I get out of jail on a pleade of insanity I will call up Walt Jockety and ask him how he became such a stud in the FO.

The end!

856528[/snapback]

:slap