This Is The Year

In 2006:

1)Pierre, Delgado, Lowell, Castillo, LoDuca will be one year older.

2)Burnett and Gonzalez will not be here (Yes, I do believe some team is going to disgustingly overpay for him)

3)Jack McKeon most likely won't be here.

4)If Jones and Moehler keep it up one of them will definitely be stolen from us.

5)Encarnacion will probably not be here.

This is the year where things have to happen because our team is at its prime.

So I suggest to Beinfest and Loria, don't be afraid to make some changes, and don't be afraid to open the wallet a bit more, because this is the closest we will get to contention in the next couple of years.

+MarlinGuru

Just to argue for the other side (not to say that I feel this year is completely lost):

Hermida and Olsen will be ready to be depended upon.

Cabrera will be ready to bust out.

Delgado will have learned the NL.

Furcal/Nomar/Gonzalez will be on the market, I feel pretty comfortable assuming one of those three will be our SS.

Burnett's price may not be as high as expected (maybe simply Benson money?)

There's no reason to burn it up for this year, but there's not a reason to give up yet...let's revisit this on Sunday...

yeah, i think our farm system is incredible when it comes to pitching. and its only going to get better. i DO NOT want Nomar on this team. He's just not as good deffensivly as gozalez. and furcal will be expensive.

I think that there should be a sense of urgency, but outside of the team. You have to remember that this team still doesn't have a real home. And this is drawing some attention from MLB offices. South Florida is a baseball town but i think you have to be more successful that just one year. No doubt that '98 saw a lot of fans disapear because of the fire sale. and 2003 brought them back. post season apperances in 2004 and 2005 would have helped A LOT. The pre-season hype this team was getting and the fact that its not living up to it is hurting the already fragile fan base. South Florida doesn't root for a loser. So I believe 2005 is important not because of players, but because of fans.

In 2006:

1)Pierre, Delgado, Lowell, Castillo, LoDuca will be one year older.

856681[/snapback]

no one else ages?

856849[/snapback]

This was a pessimist's post. Otherwise there would some mention of our younger guys' coming closer to their primes

I disagree once again with Cubangm who seemingly only wants to get rid of Lowell and wants to do it at any cost, you are an ungreatful %&$@*!#. I bet you jumped for joy at the thought of us restructuring his contract before this season. And as far as Furcal, I would never EVER want him on this team, his defense(ya his range is there, but its only marginal better than Gonzos) is not in Gonzalez league. If we are going to spend money, spend it on the guy already here. Furcal is an error machine, and is probably the most overrated defensive SS besides Renteria. And his offensive production has been slipping in a contract year as well.

I disagree once again with Cubangm who seemingly only wants to get rid of Lowell and wants to do it at any cost, you are an ungreatful %&$@*!#. I bet you jumped for joy at the thought of us restructuring his contract before this season.

857867[/snapback]

Thank you man. I get so tired of hearing people trash Mike Lowell. First of all, they forget how much he has meant to this team since the last firesale. He and Luis are the only two I can think of that were with us through those dreadful years. Secondly, why would we be itching to cut ties with him? For 4+ years the guy has been super consistent, why does everyone automatically think he's washed up? Because he's 31?? He's basically still in his prime. His problems are mental now, but it should have never gotten this far. A decent hitting coach would have earned his money by coaching. If only we had a good one.