Marlins discuss new contract with D-Train

Accord

Marlins discuss new contract with Willis

BY MIKE BERARDINO AND JUAN C. RODRIGUEZ

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

PHILADELPHIA - (KRT) - The Florida Marlins don't plan to offer a multiyear contract to Dontrelle Willis during the season, but his camp came away encouraged after a recent meeting with key front office officials.

Matt Sosnick, one of the pitcher's San Francisco-based agents, met last weekend in South Florida with Marlins General Manager Admin Beinfest and assistant GM Michael Hill. They didn't discuss specific terms but laid the groundwork for further talks after the season.

"It was a broad blueprint about how we want to approach it," Sosnick said. "The sense I got from them was it's going to be very reasonable. It's not going to be contentious."

Willis, who reached the All-Star break with 13 wins and pitched in Tuesday's All-Star Game in Detroit, is expected to qualify for salary arbitration for the first time this winter. That fact alone could push his salary from $378,000 to as much as $4 million next year.

Teams in a similar position often attempt to "buy out" a key player's remaining arbitration years. In Willis' case, that could mean an offer in the four-year, $20 million range.

"They were nice and fair," Sosnick said of the recent meeting. "They said if he pitches well, he will create his own market for what he makes, which I think is totally fair."

Sosnick and business partner Paul Cobbe are preparing for a potential arbitration case next winter, contracting the services of arbitration expert Rick Shapiro, but they don't expect the case to reach a hearing.

"If it went to arbitration, what are the Marlins going to say bad about Dontrelle?" Sosnick said. "What can you say about a guy who is totally community active, never missed a start his entire career, including the minor leagues, and is probably going to have 45 career wins?"

Sosnick and Cobbe also represent rookie lefty Scott Olsen. Should Double-A right-hander Josh Johnson be promoted soon, as some expect, the same agency would represent 60 percent of the Marlins rotation.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/12145841.htm

It's good to see them wanting to lock him up.

First and foremost we should lock up Cabs for a LONG, LONG, LONG time.

10 years $100 mill, perhaps...

:mischief2

858040[/snapback]

That's a hell of a contract. You're probably just as cut throat as Boras is. :mischief

858059[/snapback]

10 million a year for a young great ballplayer like Cabrera is nothing...welcome to 2005.

Guest Fritz

858040[/snapback]

That would be ideal...but Miggy could probably command more.

858061[/snapback]

I know, but $100 million is so pleasing to the eye and that number is probably outrageous to someone that started from such humble beginnings.

He could probably command $125 mill on the open market, but hopefully signing now and having more certainty would cause him to sign a cheaper deal.

858040[/snapback]

858061[/snapback]

I know, but $100 million is so pleasing to the eye and that number is probably outrageous to someone that started from such humble beginnings.

He could probably command $125 mill on the open market, but hopefully signing now and having more certainty would cause him to sign a cheaper deal.

858070[/snapback]

I agree...if you can get Cabs to a 10 year 100 mil, you almost have to do it. When he reaches his latter years of arbitartion, he'll command over 10 mil anyways.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

858040[/snapback]

That's a hell of a contract. You're probably just as cut throat as Boras is. :mischief

858059[/snapback]

10 million a year for a young great ballplayer like Cabrera is nothing...welcome to 2005.

858065[/snapback]

There's no way he signs a 10 year contract unless if it's for significantly more than 100 million. Who knows what changes the market will see in that span? And considering that JIMMY ROLLINS is getting 8 million a year now, Cabs could probably demand 10 million a year now (though luckily arbitration prevents that). I'd like to see the Marlins lock him into a six or seven year deal, in the 55-65 million dollar range. That is fair since we'd be buying out his arby years, and still paying him what should be a very competetive rate for his post arbitration years. He would come out of the contract at 28 or 29, right in the prime of his career, and ready to net a record contract.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

858040[/snapback]

858061[/snapback]

858070[/snapback]

:lol Wiley Americans using culture shock to muscle poor immigrants into signing less than fair contracts...

I don't understand how the Marlins begin talking to Dontrelle who can't leave for at least 4 more years, yet they haven't even contacted Burnett who is a free agent next year. Also, the Marlins should not sign Cabs to a deal now. He is locked up cheaply for 5 years; there is no reason to sign him to a big deal.

858040[/snapback]

858059[/snapback]

858065[/snapback]

There's no way he signs a 10 year contract unless if it's for significantly more than 100 million. Who knows what changes the market will see in that span? And considering that JIMMY ROLLINS is getting 8 million a year now, Cabs could probably demand 10 million a year now (though luckily arbitration prevents that). I'd like to see the Marlins lock him into a six or seven year deal, in the 55-65 million dollar range. That is fair since we'd be buying out his arby years, and still paying him what should be a very competetive rate for his post arbitration years. He would come out of the contract at 28 or 29, right in the prime of his career, and ready to net a record contract.

858074[/snapback]

Oh I know, im not saying he is going for 10 years...but 10 million a year how ever long the contract is, is well worth it....

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Oh I know, im not saying he is going for 10 years...but 10 million a year how ever long the contract is, is well worth it....

Agreed.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I don't understand how the Marlins begin talking to Dontrelle who can't leave for at least 4 more years, yet they haven't even contacted Burnett who is a free agent next year. Also, the Marlins should not sign Cabs to a deal now. He is locked up cheaply for 5 years; there is no reason to sign him to a big deal.

858079[/snapback]

What precisely is his arbitration/ eligibility schedule? Anybody know?

858079[/snapback]

1. Dontrelle is likely going to be a super-two case and will be eligible for arbitration this year.

2. The team has contacted AJ. An offer was on the table this spring. It was rejected. The team doesn't negotiate in the middle of the season.

Guest markotsay7

Glad to see they're taking the initiative.

When are they doing this with Cabrera? We all know pitchers are greater injury risks than position players and Cabrera has more than proven himself.