We need names...

peteyrave

I've seen alot of talk about what the Marlins should do when it comes to trades and signings. Most of the suggestiong are for solid ballplayers nobody knows (or cares) about. I have another important issue to consider. Marketing to the casual fans. What I'm trying to say is we need big names casual fans know. We need to put butts in seats. I know what you're gonna say... "Winning will attract fans." Well you're wrong. If winning the World Series isn't enough than winning a few extra games won't be either. Right now we have Miggy. We need more. I think we should try for Gary Sheffield, if we can. Whoever it is, we need somebody marketable to the casual fan. A decade or two from now we can concentrate on good baseball and rely on tradition for fan support. But for now we need names. Unless you enjoy the idea of the Marlins leaving Florida. But that's just my unsubstantiated and uneducated opinion. :whistle

can we all just resign to the fact that miami is indifferent towards the marlins?

sure a guy like sheff or another big name would bring a slight jump in team interest, but winning and going to the playoffs is the only thing that will put a significant number of fans in the seats, and even that will be only temporary

A team that hovers over 500 all season is not going to sell tickets unless you have a high fan base ala cubs and the yankees of 2 weeks ago. Also it is we dont have a good fan base. The WhiteSox arent selling tickets either and we all know about them. A new stadium, new players nothing will bring people to the stadium except if you play the old hokie Miami Dolphins fight song.