Orioles still favored to get Burnett

sportsbamer

While the Orioles wait for a decision from the Florida Marlins concerning a possible trade for pitcher A.J. Burnett, Baltimore may be sorting out what its rotation will be if its makes the deal. All indications are that the Orioles are still the heavy favorites to land Burnett. Sources say nothing has changed the last two days and that Baltimore is still offering the best deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5071700194.html

Admin Bigbie has no place in our OF. His OPS and Slugging % are on par with Alex Gonzalez. Not what we want in the OF.

Julio is a project but certainly can help our pen. Good live arm that tends to lose focus, alah Mota. The O's have been looking to deal Julio for a while now. They have added the likes of Grimsley, DeJean, Kline and Reed the past two seasons...they are not a team loking to deal away solid pen help.

Hayden Penn is a decent pitching prospect but all of the proposed deals seem to offer us a solid arm.

I really hope we look elsewhere. The Orioles deal simply does not thrill me in any way.

Hayden Penn is 20 years old, he has a great changeup , he has a 2 seam fastball that runs about 94-96 mph with decent movement, he also has a pretty good curveball. He was lights out in AA, then when called up he had 6 quality starts than got hit hard in his last 2, his best start was when he went 6 innings and I believe only allowed 1 or 2 runs against the Red Sox. Since going back down to AA he hasnt pitched well.

Admin Bigbie is an average player, he still has potential but I am being realistic and saying he is average and has deceptive speed.

Jorge Julio will go through stretches in which he is lights out as he did all season until about early od mid June and since we have seen the other side of Julio in which sometimes he is OK and others he is horrible.

here take a look at these spectacular statistics

| Hayden Penn 49 | P Current Status: Minor leagues

Full Name: Hayden Penn

Born: 10/13/1984

Birthplace: Santee, CA

Height: 6'3" Weight: 195

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

College: N/A

MLB Debut: 05/28/2005

2-2

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

2005 2 2 6.75 7 7 0 0 0 0 33.1 39 27 25 6 19 14

Career 2 2 6.75 7 7 0 0 0 0 33.1 39 27 25 6 19 14

Career Stats | Splits | Game Log | Hit Chart | Postseason & All-Star

Last 10 Games:

DATE OPP W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO

MAY 28 DET 0 0 1.93 0 4.2 5 1 4 4

JUN 02 @BOS 0 0 3.60 0 5.1 4 3 3 3

JUN 07 @PIT 0 0 3.52 0 5.1 3 2 3 0

JUN 13 HOU 1 0 4.71 0 5.2 7 5 2 1

JUN 19 COL 1 0 4.23 0 6.2 5 2 2 4

JUN 24 @ATL 0 1 6.07 0 2.0 8 7 2 1

JUN 30 CLE 0 1 6.75 0 3.2 7 5 3 1

Totals 2 2 6.75 0 33.1 39 25 19 14

Quick Splits:

vs. Left: .275 vs. Right: .303 Home: 5.66 Road: 8.53

Day: 3.24 Night: 10.26 Grass: 6.75 Turf: ---

Current Month: --- Last 30 Days: 10.22

Last Three Seasons:

Year Team W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO

2002 No Major League Stats Available

2003 No Major League Stats Available

2004 No Major League Stats Available

When Penn was called up he wasnt getting his usual velocity on his fastball consistently and was reluctant to use it, some of him getting rocked I think was due to inexperience. He made some rookie mistake, such as throwing 3 consecutive changeups, the first two worked but the third went a long way off the bat.

here take a look at these spectacular statistics

| Hayden Penn 49 | P Current Status: Minor leagues

861169[/snapback]

being that he is 21 and making his debut already, thats not too bad

and he certainly held his own the first time thru the league

When Penn was called up he wasnt getting his usual velocity on his fastball consistently and was reluctant to use it, some of him getting rocked I think was due to inexperience. He made some rookie mistake, such as throwing 3 consecutive changeups, the first two worked but the third went a long way off the bat.

861170[/snapback]

thank u for proving my point we are damn sure not out of the playoff hunt...so therefore we need somebody that is ready now! why rebuild for next year when some players wont even be back next year.. this is the year to win the world series now get it done! :thumbup oh and by the way this kid hasnt pitch more than 6 2/3 innings

I wouldnt put much stock in those numbers. He wasnt ready for the majors and many have said that if they knew Bedard was going to be out so long they wouldve called up someone else but thought giving Penn 2-3 starts would be good to give teams a chance to see him for trading. Not to mention he got no run support and faced some pretty good teams, dont remember them all, I know he faced the Braves, Tigers, Red SOx 2 times I think.

861170[/snapback]

thank u for proving my point we are damn sure not out of the playoff hunt...so therefore we need somebody that is ready now! why rebuild for next year when some players wont even be back next year.. this is the year to win the world series now get it done! :thumbup oh and by the way this kid hasnt pitch more than 6 2/3 innings

861173[/snapback]

Well, that wasnt your point. You said it was bad because they are below average players and I just wanted to make it clear that they are not. Wether they fit the Marlins , I will let you decide.

While the Orioles wait for a decision from the Florida Marlins concerning a possible trade for pitcher A.J. Burnett, Baltimore may be sorting out what its rotation will be if its makes the deal. All indications are that the Orioles are still the heavy favorites to land Burnett. Sources say nothing has changed the last two days and that Baltimore is still offering the best deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5071700194.html

861146[/snapback]

i like that deal..especially if daniel cabrera is in it but that ain't gonna happen and i'm not sure if i like the boston deal better or not. i like arroyo a lot and if hanley ramirez is in there that would be awesome he's gonna be good i saw him play in the futures game