Should Lowell be traded?

Trading AJ is a given, but I do not believe Lowell should be traded. No matter how bad things get, he shouldn't be traded.

Lowell is more than just a player on this team, Conine is retiring after this season and Lowell is going to be the new Mr. Marlin when that happens.

You can call it blind loyalty, but I don't want Lowell traded under any circumstance. Lowell stuck with this team through the bad times and we owe it to him to stick with Mike through the bad times, it will pay off in the end.

Unless we get Miggy-T from the O's, I can guarantee everyone on here will regret trading Lowell at some point in the near future.

Vote^^

I say no as well. I don't want to see Mikey traded, for the reason he can't do any worse than right now. I know its his contract and all, but I think his value for the rest of the season to us is more than what we would get for him. In fact, he's weighing down the rumored trades. If we don't include Lowell, we would probably get a better deal.

Lowell is more than just a player on this team, Conine is retiring after this season and Lowell is going to be the new Mr. Marlin when that happens.

You can call it blind loyalty, but I don't want Lowell traded under any circumstance. Lowell stuck with this team through the bad times and we owe it to him to stick with Mike through the bad times, it will pay off in the end.

864089[/snapback]

Luis Castillo should be the new Mr. Marlin.

Lowell is more than just a player on this team, Conine is retiring after this season and Lowell is going to be the new Mr. Marlin when that happens.?

You can call it blind loyalty, but I don't want Lowell traded under any circumstance.? Lowell stuck with this team through the bad times and we owe it to him to stick with Mike through the bad times, it will pay off in the end.

864089[/snapback]

Luis Castillo should be the new Mr. Marlin.

864444[/snapback]

Agreed. I'd pick Cabrera or Willis for that, but Castillo's the better choice because he played his first six years there and decided to stay with the team, rather than pulling a Pavano or a Burnett.

Is it confirmed that Conine's retiring after the season? I heard something about that shortly after the Marlins traded for him, but I didn't know if he'd go through with that, since baseball retirees often change their minds (haha... Clemens!).

Guest Fritz

We're out of it. I don't see a 46-25 run in this team and Mike Lowell is a cornerstone of the franchise. Let him play out of his slump and his contract.

Keep him. He has shown that he loves this team and he's devoted to it. Why should the Marlins turn their backs and trade him, especially after everything Mikey has done for us. We need more guys like Mike in the team. Keep him because people like him are so hard to find these days.

I think Lowell should be traded. Heres why:

Throwout this poor season and yes, his on the field performance is spectacular. However, he is eating up a lot of salary and he does not offer ANY clubhouse leadership. Give me a guy that will hit .270 and 15 HR and is the leader in the clubhouse and I will take him over Lowell's barely .300 with 25-30 HRs. The one negative that we have with such young talent is the lack of leadership in the clubhouse. I would love to hear stories in the herald about Lowell being a leader regardless of his on the field stats. He still anchors that defense and he still has had 4 extreamly good years before this one.

I love this guy. He is what made me excited about the Marlins. And I will be estatic if we don't trade him. But if we do, I will understand why. And above is the reason I will use to cope with it.

Its funny when I hear people say stuff like "blind loyalty" and "devotion" when some bench players are out hitting Mikey. I am the first one in line to say that it would be very sad to see Mikey go...but the truth is that when you have a $25 million contract and with the current economic state of the Marlins, we gotta let this guy go. It seems that Mikey cant get back to his old self and we need to make enough money room to get us another solid player in the offseason. If we just say.... "Oh, lets keep Lowell because of loyalty"...then s***.... lets stay at ProPlayer forever and forget about a newer and more profitable stadium because good old Wayne started the franchise."

I think Mikey is a great guy and "deserves" to play in his hometown...

BUT the fact remains the Mikey is going to still get paid regardless of what team he plays for and the Marlins will get stuck paying his huge contract when that chunk of our LIMITED funds could go to someone else...

There are two things I do not like about this trade....

1) We are not getting Daniel Cabrera....he is a cheap, yopng, and very talented... we need to get a young stud back in return and we are not getting that.

2) We are going to be stuck paying a large portion of Mikey's contract... I mean, if we are giving you Lowell AND Burnett, you better believe that we are not taking up a large part of his contract...

Trading AJ is a given, but I do not believe Lowell should be traded. No matter how bad things get, he shouldn't be traded.

Unless we get Miggy-T from the O's, I can guarantee everyone on here will regret trading Lowell at some point in the near future.

Vote^^

864046[/snapback]

I am in total agreement with Accord on this one....being a Lowell follower since his days at FIU, I can honestly say that he would be the next Mr. Marlin if Conine hangs them up and everyone in the big leagues tends to have a bad year sometime in their careers....unfortunetly for the Fish, Mikey's down year happens to be this one

if they are going to send him off in the next few days, it would suck being a Mikey fan but the club needs to do what they need to do and in Mikey's words "This is a business"

So if he does get dealt...I would like to be the first to say THANK YOU MIKEY FOR ALL THE FUN AND EXCITEMENT YOU BROUGHT OUR TEAM AND OUR COMMUNITY!!!!

Trade him, he is playing very poorly for almost 162 games now. His slump started after last all star break. I believe he has hit 11 homers in the past 160 games and his average keeps dropping. If Baltimore takes his salary why not dump it on them and get someone else who can play.

Trade him, he is playing very poorly for almost 162 games now. His slump started after last all star break. I believe he has hit 11 homers in the past 160 games and his average keeps dropping. If Baltimore takes his salary why not dump it on them and get someone else who can play.

864654[/snapback]

Exactly right. Although I am concerned with fan support as lukewarm as it is and with the Marlins' hopes of getting a new stadium dangling by a thread whether there won't be significant backlash if we trade Mike.