politically oriented music

catchoftheday

A lot of "political based music", especially these days, is just filled with regurgitated, uneducated "fight the power" quotes...i.e. "No blood for oil"

Now, a lot of the vietnam stuff actually had some original thought and I dig a lot of it because of it. I don't always agree, but I respect it.

One of my favorite politically oriented songs of all time, "Biko" by Peter Gabriel, dealing with the Apartheid in South Africa and the killing of Steven Biko while he was held in police custody...

When I try to sleep at night

I can only dream in red

The outside world is black and white

With only one colour dead

You can blow out a candle

But you can't blow out a fire

Once the flames begin to catch

The wind will blow it higher

And the eyes of the world are

watching now

watching now

....just a couple of my favorite exerpts from this one.

A lot of "political based music", especially these days, is just filled with regurgitated, uneducated "fight the power" quotes...i.e. "No blood for oil"

Now, a lot of the vietnam stuff actually had some original thought and I dig a lot of it because of it. I don't always agree, but I respect it.

865554[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I respect some of it but I honestly dont really care much about it ... there are some bands that I would go out of my way and find out stuff about them based on their views ... but then again I come from a punk rock background

heres some stuff that you might not have heard of, and that are of this day and time, so they tend to talk a lot about todays world

? the International noise conspiracy (total 60?s 70?s garage with james brown. sweedish. one of the greatest vocalist of all time)

? propagandhi (dirty dirty mouths and a lot of anger)

? kasabian (cool anthemic rock with a rebellion and freedom type of feeling)

I guess you also have to give a shout to RATM for their politically oriented messages. Although I see that ZacK de la Rocha has continued on with it...

865769[/snapback]

Off topic but Audioslave=173 times better than RATM :whistle

865771[/snapback]

Hardly.....

I guess you also have to give a shout to RATM for their politically oriented messages. Although I see that ZacK de la Rocha has continued on with it...

865769[/snapback]

Off topic but Audioslave=173 times better than RATM :whistle

865771[/snapback]

I like AudioSlave too, but better than RATM? Hardly.

Rage Against the Machine and U2 suck. All of RATM's songs sound the same. It's like listening to Kid Rock. It's always that same rhythm and lack of melody. Gross. As far as U2, Bono is a good guy and does a lot for people, but the music is just not to my liking.

I prefer music with a personal emotion or an extremely hypnotic sound.

Maddox had me laughing this time

I love music that has communal origins to it such as punk or hip-hop/go-go or bluegrass.

But I dislike Crimethinc.

The PlanitX bands, Hot Water Music and many others do a good job of singing about personal politics which is a lot easier to get into than issue politics.