AJ deal on hold

Shamrock

A.J. Burnett - S - FLA - Jul. 20 - 10:05 am et

The deal now on the table that would send A.J. Burnett to the Orioles is currently on hold because of Mike Lowell's salary.

It sounds as if a trade was agreed to before Orioles owner Peter Angelos stepped in. The Orioles were to receive Burnett, Lowell and Eric Reed in exchange for Admin Bigbie, Jorge Julio, Steve Reed, Steve Kline and Hayden Penn. However, the Orioles have now asked the Marlins to pay about half of the $21 million Lowell is still owed. If talks fall apart, the Red Sox, White Sox and Blue Jays would reenter the picture. Jul. 20 - 10:05 am et

Source: Miami Herald

c/o rotoworld. Sorry if already posted.

I'm not saying it's a great deal or even a good one, but you have to include the payroll cleared as an actual player signed in 06. Some will go for raises and such, but the rest will be spent on either one part or several. If it's one part it probably nets us a talented player.

I love it! Let's keep them! Why fix what isn't broke, please, just aquire a strong reliever you idiots!

867238[/snapback]

I've been suggesting this for over a month. Another starter wouldn't hurt either.

867247[/snapback]

You don't think it's broke? They're at .500 when they should've been the best team in the NL! It's plenty broke, although I don't think the O's deal is the way to fix it either.

Guest Juanky

I'm not saying it's a great deal or even a good one, but you have to include the payroll cleared as an actual player signed in 06. Some will go for raises and such, but the rest will be spent on either one part or several. If it's one part it probably nets us a talented player.

867263[/snapback]

The only good thing to this deal is payroll cleared. And yet, Angelos wants us to cover a chunk of Lowell's strategy? That's really lame, sorry.

I'm not saying it's a great deal or even a good one, but you have to include the payroll cleared as an actual player signed in 06.? Some will go for raises and such, but the rest will be spent on either one part or several.? If it's one part it probably nets us a talented player.

867263[/snapback]

The only good thing to this deal is payroll cleared. And yet, Angelos wants us to cover a chunk of Lowell's strategy? That's really lame, sorry.

867282[/snapback]

Depends on if you still think this team can win. The 2 complications with this situation...(1) Will the potential team take on Lowell's salary? (2) do they have a good chance to resign AJ.

People forget those and merely see players going to one team to another.

Guest Juanky

- The Orioles don't want to take Lowell's salary

- They probably can resign AJ

I think, right now with all the offers we've seen, we're better keeping him and going all out for another ring.

- The Orioles don't want to take Lowell's salary

- They probably can resign AJ

I think, right now with all the offers we've seen, we're better keeping him and going all out for another ring.

867307[/snapback]

Where do you upgrade to win then? Lowell is deadweight. I think you need to consider the long-term financial viability of the franchise. I'm on the fence when it comes to winning now. If Beckett comes back firing awesome starts we have a slim chance. If he doesn't we are screwed.