A.J Or Pavano

I was watching ESPN earlier and they had the guy from Baseball Prospectus (can't remember his name) and they were discussing trades ect.

Anyway, he was asked to compare Pavano vs AJ.

He said AJ was like 5 times better than Pavano and that he was sure the Yankees knew that by now and were regretting paying him all that money.

:lol thought that was pretty funny.

Pavano is probably a "smarter" pitcher than AJ. Because he doesn't have overpowering stuff like Burnett, he has to resort to being more of a finesse pitcher, throwing pitches on the corners, and changing speeds often.

I do believe that Pavano isn't a fluke. Like most pitchers, he has struggled in the switch from the National League to the American League. Heck, even Randy Johnson has had difficulty adjusting to the American League and having to pitch against that extra batter; the DH.

If I had to pick someone on my team it would be Carl Pavano. I think he give you more bang for your buck and is generally more consistent than Burnett.

Nevertheless, do not underestimate Burnett. If he can keep learning like he has over the past two seasons, he will easily be a 20 game winner, and a dominant pitcher.

Whatever the variation in ability, Carl has had a breakout season, AJ hasnt. AJ has the stuff to be THE ace of any staff in baseball, but whilst Carl was here, he was consistent, something AJ has never been. Carl is a great no 3 starter, just that after last year he was expected to be an ace, which he clearly isnt.

867487[/snapback]

that about says it.

Pavano is probably a "smarter" pitcher than AJ. Because he doesn't have overpowering stuff like Burnett, he has to resort to being more of a finesse pitcher, throwing pitches on the corners, and changing speeds often.

I do believe that Pavano isn't a fluke. Like most pitchers, he has struggled in the switch from the National League to the American League. Heck, even Randy Johnson has had difficulty adjusting to the American League and having to pitch against that extra batter; the DH.

If I had to pick someone on my team it would be Carl Pavano. I think he give you more bang for your buck and is generally more consistent than Burnett.

Nevertheless, do not underestimate Burnett. If he can keep learning like he has over the past two seasons, he will easily be a 20 game winner, and a dominant pitcher.

867604[/snapback]

You know after the second half of the season last year, I thought AJ was finally learning how to pitch. This year shows he still hasn't developed that consistency. I imagine he will learn how to pitch eventually. The real question is when.

No one really talks about it because he went in for TJ surgey & missed the next season...

But 2002 would've been considered AJ's breakout season, had he stayed healthy. And really if you look at it, it is a terrific season regardless.

Record was 12-9 but he very easily could've had 4 or 5 more wins that season.

3.30 ERA

204 innings - allowed just 153 hits (lowest hits per 9 inn from any pitcher)

203 strikeouts

7 complete games

5 complete game shutouts

how about holding opposing batters to a .209 average??? :blink:

Whatever the variation in ability, Carl has had a breakout season, AJ hasnt. AJ has the stuff to be THE ace of any staff in baseball, but whilst Carl was here, he was consistent, something AJ has never been. Carl is a great no 3 starter, just that after last year he was expected to be an ace, which he clearly isnt.

867487[/snapback]

almost totally agree. the part about carl being consistent and AJ not wa the best I thought. And yeah, AJ had the stuff to be an ace but he's a "thrower" not a "pitcher" (read La Russa's book for an explination of the 2). Carl is a pitcher.

Plus, I would say its harder to throw in the AL. you dont have the pitcher hitting for an easy out so teams are built around slugging. I would say it takes a little more to make up a lineup in the NL because you have the pitcher hitting and you have to play a little more small ball.