Alex v other SS's

musk

So since we had a off day yesterday and its going to be a slow post day besides the usual "oh we can do it this year boys" that gets posted 89 times a day i decided to start a little short stop debate. put your marlins baias aside and look at talent and numbers. Taking money and contract status out of the equation tell me why you would/would not pick one of these short stops over alex. (if you have any that i havent listed go ahead and add them. i tried keeping the big names out of here like tejada and renteria because those are obvious choices.)

Nomar

R. Furcal

D. Eckstien

C. Izturis

i like furcal. He holds the intangebles like speed, range, and a canon for an arm. hes a threat on the basepaths and a decent contact hitter. a good 2 spot hitter. But ever since 2001 alex's errors have been almost been cut in half from 26 to 16. however this year i think hes going to hit the 20 mark again. and hes 7th on the list of most errors in the bigs. he;s have an off year at the plate and you can expect around 20 errors from him a season (while getting 31 in 2003 he made up for it at the plate hitting .292 w/ 15 hrs. an average that alex could only dream of).

Yeah i know this post was kind of started a couple of days ago but it wasn't given its proper respect.

he's having an off year at the plate??

Have you looked at his average?

Sure, the power isn't there right now, but still.

869845[/snapback]

Off year at the plate?? have you looked at LOWELL's average? if you're going to say furcal just flat out sucks at the plate then you'll have to give lowell the same respect. everyone says lowell is having an off year (which he is) and so is furcal. and the power is there, he can easily hit 15 hrs this year which you can expect from him.

the reason alex's errors are high at all is because he gets to balls that other players cant get to, he has very few straight up errors.

i like furcal even though he's had a somewhat slow start, he can hit for power and average and is a fast mother f***er.

you also cant deny ecksteins speed and hustle, but he's just another leadoff man we dont need

yeah, furcal is also a leadoff man but he has good power and speed so can be used in the 8th spot

So since we had a off day yesterday and its going to be a slow post day besides the usual "oh we can do it this year boys" that gets posted 89 times a day i decided to start a little short stop debate. put your marlins baias aside and look at talent and numbers. Taking money and contract status out of the equation tell me why you would/would not pick one of these short stops over alex. (if you have any that i havent listed go ahead and add them. i tried keeping the big names out of here like tejada and renteria because those are obvious choices.)

Nomar

R. Furcal

D. Eckstien

C. Izturis

i like furcal. He holds the intangebles like speed, range, and a canon for an arm. hes a threat on the basepaths and a decent contact hitter. a good 2 spot hitter. But ever since 2001 alex's errors have been almost been cut in half from 26 to 16. however this year i think hes going to hit the 20 mark again. and hes 7th on the list of most errors in the bigs. he;s have an off year at the plate and you can expect around 20 errors from him a season (while getting 31 in 2003 he made up for it at the plate hitting .292 w/ 15 hrs. an average that alex could only dream of).

Yeah i know this post was kind of started a couple of days ago but it wasn't given its proper respect.

869844[/snapback]

How are any of those 4 on the list? I like Nomar but he is hurt and hasnt played 150+ games since 2003 now

what have any of them done to deserve to be ahead of him?

I'll take the still cheap, 22 year old, stolen base leader. Not for only this year however, but for the future. If it were ONLY this year, I'd probably take Agon or furcal. Eckstein is a product of his environment. No thanx on him.

I was talking about Jose Reyes of course. If he can learn ANY plate discipline, the guy will be UNREAL.

I'll take the still cheap, 22 year old, stolen base leader. Not for only this year however, but for the future.

I'm talking about Jose Reyes of course. If he can learn ANY plate discipline, the guy will be UNREAL.

869863[/snapback]

yes but arent we talking about a future SS for the marlins not for the mets? :mischief2

no... its a SS debate. Nothing was said about the Marlins actually ACQUIRING the guy. Reading comprehension is your friend.

869868[/snapback]

hah sarcasm outta a new york fan. expected. my bad that i misinterpreted the original post. was making the assumption that since alex is a FA at the end of the season that we were comparing him to others that would make a nice replacement. :thumbup

by far reyes has the best upside. if he could get his patience down a bit better at the plate he would be top notch to me.

A-Gon's offense is down from last season, batting average notwithstanding. He's hitting for a good average, but it's almost completely empty. His plate discipline is as bad as it's always been. I think more than half of his walks are intentionals. All this said, his defense and lack of a competent replacement make him pretty valuable to us.

A-Gon's offense is down from last season, batting average notwithstanding. He's hitting for a good average, but it's almost completely empty. His plate discipline is as bad as it's always been. I think more than half of his walks are intentionals. All this said, his defense and lack of a competent replacement make him pretty valuable to us.

869876[/snapback]

sorry i have to disagree. but im not trying to start s*** here. alex still has horrible swings, that is a fact, but his plate discipline has been much better then last year. he draws way more 3-2 counts then he ever did before. not to mention he has 25 walks up to this point. last year he had 27 the whole season!! i would def say thats improved patience over last year. his OBP is 63 points higher then it was last year. OPS is 20 points higher. SB total is higher. only thing down are his power #'s but is it that important for our #8 hitter to have supreme power. id much rather him be more patient and draw more walks and hit for singles then try to put one out every at bat and have a higher chance of striking out.

just my 2 cents

Anyone who thinks Furcal is somehow a great defensive player, needs to have their eyes checked, just like anyone who think Aramis Ramirez is a great defensive third basemen.

I will take AGon anyday over Furcal because of the defense and the fact that AGon is probably going to be a better hitter in the long run, compared to Furcal.

one person has actully responded to the actual reason for this post; which SS would you take regardless of what team your root for and taking out the obvious choices of renteria and tejada.

I think Furcal is one of the top 10 SS in this league. And I garuntee you I'm with the majority on this one.

This is not a Alex Vs. the world debate (maybe i should have titled the post different. my bad on that one). I just wanted to see if anyone, given the oppertunity, would take another SS other than Alex putting team loyalty and fan bias aside. And what that other SS would bring to the table that Alex may not.

869845[/snapback]

Off year at the plate?? have you looked at LOWELL's average? if you're going to say furcal just flat out sucks at the plate then you'll have to give lowell the same respect. everyone says lowell is having an off year (which he is) and so is furcal. and the power is there, he can easily hit 15 hrs this year which you can expect from him.

869849[/snapback]

Do you read?

869845[/snapback]

869849[/snapback]

Do you read?

869912[/snapback]

i thought you ment it as if i was understating his struggles at the plate.

869845[/snapback]

869849[/snapback]

Do you read?

869912[/snapback]

i thought you ment it as if i was understating his struggles at the plate.

869933[/snapback]

No, I mean't it as his average is over .280. .281 infact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.