Santorum says he's out of the 08 hunt.

Rune

Looks like Frist is the top Conservative in the field now that Santorum has claimed to have taken his name out of the hate for a presidential run in 08. He cites his uphill campaign to keep his seat against Casey who is up by 11 points in the latest polling.

Anything's possible and then again I didn't give Bush much a chance either.

I still don't see Santorum winning, for years he was a strong conservative but he never caused nearly as much controversy as he does now. Plus, I think he got by on his charisma and looks. Now it seems every week, we have a new controversy from him and now we have his book which perfectly sums up why he can't be president.

Pennsylvania, is a strong moderate state, our past three elected governors were all strong popular moderates and of course their's Arlen. I don't know how Santorum squeeked by for so many years, probably because The T loves the guy but a lot of things have changed since 00 and Santorum's mouth has gotten bigger.

Casey represents Pennsylvania perfectly, a strong catholic who is against gay marriage and abortion but is not looking for constitutional amendments to stop them. He also is a strong supporter of the middle working class and that equates to his success in his 04 campaign. His father was beloved in and out of the t and he shares many of the qualities that made his father such a beloved figure.

Philly and Pitt will certainly vote against the ultra conservative Santorum and I really think Casey's ideals will translate well enough in the t to make it close there and if the t is close. Their is no doubt Casey wins.

Yeah I figured it was a smart move by the dems to avoid letting the social issues take front and center so that Santorum couldnt run around the state talking gays and God. For dems, taking down Santorum is a little revenge for Daschle. I wish we had a candidate like Casey or Spitzer in Florida running for governer but it looks like the Florida dems are gonna botch it again with weak people running.

Guest markotsay7

Out of curiosity, how come it isn't ok for Accord to refer to democrats as liberals, but it's ok for you to refer to Republicans as conservatives?

Out of curiosity, how come it isn't ok for Accord to refer to democrats as liberals, but it's ok for you to refer to Republicans as conservatives?

874378[/snapback]

Are you freaking kidding me? Their's a difference between a moderate republican and a conserative.

Rick Santorum is certainly no moderate.

874378[/snapback]

In the sense that he would be the leading conservative in a race for the Republican primary, not necessary leading Republican. There will be conservatives and moderates vying for Republican nod and usually one candidate from either faction becomes the representative. For example in 2000, Gore was the moderate and Bradley was the liberal. In 2008, a guy like Santorum will try and get the support of the conservatives and a guy like McCain the moderates.

I'd much rather see Frist win the primary. Unlike Bush, he doesn't have the charisma to garner mainstream appeal. He does however have a chance to take the conservative nod.

I'd actually like Rudi just because the guy has so many skeletons in his closet it would be a miracle to get the relegious fully behind this guy.

You can tell the Dems are desperate to get one of theirs elected.

874428[/snapback]

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Honestly, what is the point of political partys? To get their own elected.

Trust me we have our eyes on 06. We have the chance to take Santorum out of office, put Warner of Virginia in the senate and replace Bill Frist with Ford jr.

Those are three moderates crucial to the success of the party and they all are in good shape to get the job done in 06.

I love how Dems are so interested in who will represent the Republicans in 08, 3 years from now. You can tell the Dems are desperate to get one of theirs elected. It aint happening. The Republican party is getting smarter. No, Frist will not win the nomination cause the Republican party knows he isnt electable.

874428[/snapback]

Its called being interested in politics and having a civil discussion about a topic. You dont honestly think Republicans arent just as keenly interested in who will run for the democratic side do you? Dont make me find countless pages where Republicans state that they HOPE Hillary wins so that they can win again. Or maybe I should post the political writings of a Republican who compared Hillary in 08 and Republican desires for her to get the nomination to dems in 1980 and their desires for Reagan to win.

I love how Dems are so interested in who will represent the Republicans in 08, 3 years from now. You can tell the Dems are desperate to get one of theirs elected. It aint happening. The Republican party is getting smarter. No, Frist will not win the nomination cause the Republican party knows he isnt electable.

874428[/snapback]

Haha. You just jinxed the Republican Party! :mischief

Bill Frist isn't the only strict conservative left in the GOP field if Santorum doesn't run, which I would need to see to believe.

Sam Brownback from Kansas is the sleeper candidate, he is uber-conservative and the far right loves him.

But Santorum appears to be so fried next year that he may not be able to run in 2008.

Yeah I figured it was a smart move by the dems to avoid letting the social issues take front and center so that Santorum couldnt run around the state talking gays and God. For dems, taking down Santorum is a little revenge for Daschle. I wish we had a candidate like Casey or Spitzer in Florida running for governer but it looks like the Florida dems are gonna botch it again with weak people running.

874374[/snapback]

Daschle beat himself , thune was/is an attractive candidate but Daschle drifted away from moderate views to the far left (in a conservative state no less) ...Plus it didnt help that he was recorded on video saying he was a proud DC resident kind of sounded as if he was a dc insider rather than a representative of South Dakota.........Onto Florida unfortunately for you {I assume you are a Democrat) the extreme left in Florida are the base of the Democratic party most of the money and votes come from Broward and Palm Beach , it is nearly impossible for a pro-life democrat or a moderate democrat to get through , even if one does he would have to turn to the left to sure up the base.....for statewide offices florida favors Republicans, Crist or Gallagher baring a scandal will beat the democratic challenger particularly if it is a liberal like Maddox or Davis

You can tell the Dems are desperate to get one of theirs elected.?

874428[/snapback]

Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Honestly, what is the point of political partys? To get their own elected.

Trust me we have our eyes on 06. We have the chance to take Santorum out of office, put Warner of Virginia in the senate and replace Bill Frist with Ford jr.

Those are three moderates crucial to the success of the party and they all are in good shape to get the job done in 06.

874430[/snapback]

Warner wont run in 06 , i dont think he would beat Allen anyways, he wants to run for President and entering a Senate race in which you may lose and would probably have to turn to the left thus tarnishing your moderate image wouldnt be advisable. Ford will have a hard time winning Tenn is a republican state even Al Gore couldnt carry it , and while I think Ford is one of the few moderates in the democratic party im sure he has casts some votes that would be hard to explain to the conservative majority in tenn and I'm sure the Republican party has a picture on file with Ford with Clinton and Kennedy.....As far as Santorum , he is always vulnerable but he always finds away to win Penn leans to the left , Santorum is pretty conservatove hard to explain but he always finds a way. I wouldnt put too much stock in the poll numbers right now it is going to be a close race in the end....if i was a democrat i would be more optimistic about the governor's races , The dems will win NY back , have an excellent chance in defeating Arnold in Cali , have a chance in Colorado, Ohio , and Alabama and Arkansas (believe it or not) as far as the Senate and the House they are going to stay Republican maybe a Net gain of 1-2 in the senate for the dems it wouldnt even change the dynamics of the senate if Santorum is defeated loss of one vote and if chafee loses , it isnt a loss really because he votes with dems most of time anyways........one more thing in this long post some dems are in trouble too senate race in minnesota , florida(even with Harris in the race Nelson is going to have a tough go) , Nebraska , and possibly North Dakota, toss Maryland in the categorey as well depending on who wins the democratic primary .