Jeff Conine

FreshFish

I'm beginning to worry he will sign somewhere else in the offseason.

889562[/snapback]

I think alot of us thought the same about Easley last year when he was hot. So hopefully Big Dog takes the hometown discount and stays here in South Florida, cause I love seeing him out there.

I'm beginning to worry he will sign somewhere else in the offseason.

889562[/snapback]

He just opened up a restaurant here, there's NO WAY he is going to sign somewhere else. He's either going to re-sign with us or retire.

889592[/snapback]

There was a story in one of the South Florida papes (today?) saying that he wanted to start somewhere- so if he gets that chance with someone, he could walk.

i think niner still stays...florida is his home, he won 2 titles here and he knows how much the fans still love him...everywhere else he is ho hum, just another player...in miami...he is mr marlin...i would be willing to bet that mckeon probably doesnt return next year and the marlins will still try to shop lowell in the offseason...and a platoon of conine/hermida or another outfielder would be very appealing

easily hasn't been there?

nice job niner

889568[/snapback]

he's batting like .225

889579[/snapback]

gonzo batted .230 last year, but he also dropped bombs and RBIs....I'd much rather have last years gonzo than this years much less productive one.

easily has very much been there for the fish

.230 average or not

I believe from comments Conine has made twice now during the season, just little remarks to radio guys (on 790, since I don't listen to QAM), that he sees this as his last season and a transition into radio or tv.

889719[/snapback]

If he does, I'll miss seeing him play but will try to tune in to whatever I can that he's involved in. I think he'd make a great manager one day personally. Just something about him.

Don't have that retirement ceremony just yet:

Vet Conine shows he's still useful

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Staff Writer

Posted August 4 2005

ST. LOUIS ? Since spring training Jeff Conine has said he was still an everyday player. Now he's getting a chance to prove it.

Wednesday, Conine made his seventh consecutive start at first base in place of the injured Carlos Delgado (elbow). Not only has Conine provided stellar defense, he has made a steady offensive contribution.

Conine accounted for the Marlins' first run Wednesday, fouling off three Matt Morris two-strike pitches before driving in a run with a groundout. Tuesday against Chris Carpenter, he accounted for the Marlins' only run with a sacrifice fly. He also had one of their three hits, giving him a .348 average (8 for 23) in his past six games.

"I'm not surprised," Conine said. "I still feel like I'm capable of playing every day. I think that's why they've still got me. I can step into three different positions and, hopefully, give them a consistent performance on a daily basis if somebody gets hurt."

A free agent at season's end, Conine may be looking for something more than a utility role next season. At 39, he remains remarkably well conditioned, and his numbers are representative of that.

Through Tuesday, he was batting .292 and reaching base at a .360 clip. The power numbers haven't been as steady. Conine's .390 slugging percentage is about 60 points lower than his career average through 2004.

"Starting every day somewhere would be the ideal scenario," Conine said. "If that opportunity doesn't present itself, then you have to look at geographically what suits you and your family the best and go from there."

Conine would be a great fit for a team in need of full- or part-time first-base help. He's a serviceable left fielder. At times he has looked shaky in right, but at first Conine is a difference maker.

"It's my preference," he said. "If I had to pick one of the three I'd pick first base over any of them. You're more into the game there. It's more exciting, and I feel that's my best position."

I think he'll stay. Nothing against him or either of them, but no one was banging down the door offering Easley a starting infield job last winter. I don't see a strong market for a firstbaseman/corner outfielder of Niner's skill level. That is not to say he is not a productive ballplayer or couldn't be a productive starter. Anyways... Conine knows how well respected he his here and the opportunity that may come with the breakng in of rookie Hermida.

I think he'll stay. Nothing against him or either of them, but no one was banging down the door offering Easley a starting infield job last winter. I don't see a strong market for a firstbaseman/corner outfielder of Niner's skill level. That is not to say he is not a productive ballplayer or couldn't be a productive starter. Anyways... Conine knows how well respected he his here and the opportunity that may come with the breakng in of rookie Hermida.

890143[/snapback]

Power is what teams are looking for from corner OF's and 1B, and Conine seems to have declined in that area (only 2 this year I think). That and his age may make teams avoid looking at him as a starter. I'd sure like him to be back next season.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.