Jason Vargas

Hotcorner

I don't know what it is about the kid, but he just seems so comfortable out there. Like he isn't fazed at all about all this. With such a short stint in the minors you'd think he'd feel a little overwhelmed, but I guess that's where college can help. He throws easy, doesn't get rattled, throws strikes, just really seems to stay within himself. (I don't even think the two hit batsmen really would've affected him much. If his pitch count wasn't getting up there, I'd have let him try & pitch out of it). Heck, he can even swing the bat!

Even during the postgame interview you get the sense that he's very level-headed.

It's way too early to start throwing all this praise on him, but the kid's just impressed the hell out of me in a short time. I said the same thing after his first appearance in relief. You can see why he was a high draft pick. I'm relieved the FO didn't part with either he or Olsen at the trade deadline.

Nice outing kid! :thumbup

Very nice outing indeed.

Now this may be getting way ahead of myself, but Vargas has proved that really the sky is the limit considering how composed he is at such a young age. With that in mind, counting on him as a productive member of our 2006 rotation seems realistic, as long as the expectations are in line with that of a #4 starter. Couple that with what we've seen from Olsen, and I think there are two solid options for the rotation, without us having to sign a veteran journey-man as a fifth-starter. Knowing that we have 4/5 of our rotation locked up for next season is a real advantage, and I think it may help us make great strides to keeping this team intact for 2006. I mean, between Hermida, Olsen and Vargas contributing, and subtracting Leiter (deferrals excluded) and Encarnacion's money, we have around $6 million to play with just off the bat.

With each solid outing, Vargas just gets me more and more excited

Guest Guest

Very nice outing indeed.

Now this may be getting way ahead of myself, but Vargas has proved that really the sky is the limit considering how composed he is at such a young age. With that in mind, counting on him as a productive member of our 2006 rotation seems realistic, as long as the expectations are in line with that of a #4 starter. Couple that with what we've seen from Olsen, and I think there are two solid options for the rotation, without us having to sign a veteran journey-man as a fifth-starter. Knowing that we have 4/5 of our rotation locked up for next season is a real advantage, and I think it may help us make great strides to keeping this team intact for 2006. I mean, between Hermida, Olsen and Vargas contributing, and subtracting Leiter (deferrals excluded) and Encarnacion's money, we have around $6 million to play with just off the bat.

890711[/snapback]

Yes, having 4/5ths of the rotation locked up is a good sign. Hopefully, Olsen comes back strong from his elbow injury and gets more MLB time this season so he is ready to take the rotation spot next season. If Olsen and Vargas get enough time, we might not have to look for another starter on the free agent market at all, we could re-sign Moehler, hoping his asking price doesnt become too high, or rely on someone such as Josh Johnson or Logan Kensing(dont kill me for saying that) to win the job out of ST. But the best case scenario is we find some way to resign AJ.

Very nice outing indeed.

Now this may be getting way ahead of myself, but Vargas has proved that really the sky is the limit considering how composed he is at such a young age.? With that in mind, counting on him as a productive member of our 2006 rotation seems realistic, as long as the expectations are in line with that of a #4 starter.? Couple that with what we've seen from Olsen, and I think there are two solid options for the rotation, without us having to sign a veteran journey-man as a fifth-starter.? Knowing that we have 4/5 of our rotation locked up for next season is a real advantage, and I think it may help us make great strides to keeping this team intact for 2006.? I mean, between Hermida, Olsen and Vargas contributing, and subtracting Leiter (deferrals excluded) and Encarnacion's money, we have around $6 million to play with just off the bat.

890711[/snapback]

Yes, having 4/5ths of the rotation locked up is a good sign. Hopefully, Olsen comes back strong from his elbow injury and gets more MLB time this season so he is ready to take the rotation spot next season. If Olsen and Vargas get enough time, we might not have to look for another starter on the free agent market at all, we could re-sign Moehler, hoping his asking price doesnt become too high, or rely on someone such as Josh Johnson or Logan Kensing(dont kill me for saying that) to win the job out of ST. But the best case scenario is we find some way to resign AJ.

890718[/snapback]

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Knowing, right now, that Vargas is 100% ready to contribute (notice I did not say be an ace) as a productive member of the rotation eliminates the need to waste money on journey-men like Valdez and Moehler to plug the rotation for next year. Instead of spending $800K on one of those guys (Olsen and Vargas will combine for less than that), it's more to put back in the money pool that is alloted to Beinfest, and knowing that money that you previously had "earmarked" is now available is a real coup for this franchise.

Essentially, I think the chips are in place for the Marlins to try to negotiate with AJ in a serious manner...and I mean right now.

I mean, as recently as a month and a half ago, we thought the Marlins were going to have to find a way to find three new starters for the 2006 rotation, now...it's AJ, only AJ.

Guest Guest

Very nice outing indeed.

Now this may be getting way ahead of myself, but Vargas has proved that really the sky is the limit considering how composed he is at such a young age.? With that in mind, counting on him as a productive member of our 2006 rotation seems realistic, as long as the expectations are in line with that of a #4 starter.? Couple that with what we've seen from Olsen, and I think there are two solid options for the rotation, without us having to sign a veteran journey-man as a fifth-starter.? Knowing that we have 4/5 of our rotation locked up for next season is a real advantage, and I think it may help us make great strides to keeping this team intact for 2006.? I mean, between Hermida, Olsen and Vargas contributing, and subtracting Leiter (deferrals excluded) and Encarnacion's money, we have around $6 million to play with just off the bat.

890711[/snapback]

890718[/snapback]

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Knowing, right now, that Vargas is 100% ready to contribute (notice I did not say be an ace) as a productive member of the rotation eliminates the need to waste money on journey-men like Valdez and Moehler to plug the rotation for next year. Instead of spending $800K on one of those guys (Olsen and Vargas will combine for less than that), it's more to put back in the money pool that is alloted to Beinfest, and knowing that money that you previously had "earmarked" is now available is a real coup for this franchise.

Essentially, I think the chips are in place for the Marlins to try to negotiate with AJ in a serious manner...and I mean right now.

I mean, as recently as a month and a half ago, we thought the Marlins were going to have to find a way to find three new starters for the 2006 rotation, now...it's AJ, only AJ.

890722[/snapback]

I like the way you think T-Swift, nice to see we are on the same page :thumbup . But money earmarked by Valdez and Moehler, which would probably come to around $2.5-3 million this offseason to retain them, isn't going to be enough, the roughly $6 million we will save by Hermida replacing Enc is where the good stuff happens. By replacing those 3 afformentioned veternes with Olsen, Vargas, and Hermida, we save close to $8 million, almost there for what it would take to resign AJ. Having Hampton and Pudge's money off the books will help as well...but in attempting to resign AJ, we must also not neglect the fact that Big Tex, D-Train, and Cabs will all be getting big paydays all too soon. Pierre as well. But luckily, as I have stated before, with Delgado, Mikey, Lo Duca, and Castillos' contract parameters already known, it will be easier to work around them. Hopefully, enough will be earmarked to give Pierre a 2 or 3 year deal(just eliminate that last year of arbitration), give Gonzo a 3-4 year deal, and make a run at AJ. It's more than just wishful thinking, it's a strong possibility. As I have also said before, we already have Alfie back, another year of arby for Mota, and Villone another year, we can replace Mecir and Reidling/De Los Santos in the pen with Resop/Messenger(save even more of those dolla dolla bills), keep enough to resign Jones, and make a run at a dependable vetern such as Seanez(he wanted to stay here all along you know). The final cog in the wheel is a dependable, yet cheap, bench: Easley, Treanor, Willingham, and Aguila(we all have faith in all of these guys...and not one of them are anything near resembling expensive). Whoa, I just picked my own brain. Hope that was an intelligent rant, I dont have too many of them.

OK, here's the way I see it:

The Marlins went into this season expecting this to be their window of opportunity with a dominant rotation and offense because of age/contract issues (mainly, Leiter and AJ). I know I'm over simplifing this, but with our entire infield (aside from short) under contract at a fixed amount for next year, and Pierre the only arbitration eligible position player, or lineup is pretty set. Our bullpen will have some comings and goings, but with the money we shed from dead-weight (like Mota's $4 mil) we'll plug holes and find a way to keep 2 of our 3 closer/setup men to go along with Villone as our 7-8-9 answer at least early on. Factor in the inevitable Resop and Messenger fulltime promotions and I'd say our bullpen is also pretty set, perhaps not dominant, but set. That leaves only the rotation and the bench as areas to address.

With the rotation (when AJ was deemed an unaffordable luxury) we had to find a way to sign (assuming we wanted to be competitive) a capable #3, a good #4 and hope for the best for a #5 at the minimum. Just for simplicity's sake, figure Kevin Brown for $5 mil as the #3, Moehler at $900K for the 4 and whoever for $250K as the 5 in the rotation...that's roughly $6 mil in earmarked money that is now reduced because of Vargas and Olsen's emergence. Couple that with Encarnacion's money being replaced by Hermida, and Gonzalez' pay-raise coming from the difference in Enc's/Hermida's salaries (I figure there'll be around $2 mil left over, giving Gonzalez a $5 mil salary for '06) and we actually have freed up $8 mil that was previously alloted for needs. (Gonzalez' $3.4 million becomes $5, Enc's $4.5 comes off with the difference between his and Hermida's salaries paying Gonzalez' raise with the difference left over, and the rotation money which was alloted for 3 players is now reduced to the need for one).

Hope everyone followed my logic.

The big question is does AJ want to be here? I think it isn't about money and that he wants to leave. Delgado's extra money should be (I'm too lazy to look at the actual numbers) taken care of by Hamton's freed up money. We should have about $8 million extra for Conine/Enc. AJ is at over $3 million. I'd let Gonzo leave to save about $4 million for him on this year's budget to resign AJ.

I just think AJ doesn't want to be here and some big market club will offer him idiotic level of money. If we give him $8-$10 million a year, what will Beckett, Willis and Cabrera want? That is the big question.

The big question is does AJ want to be here?? I think it isn't about money and that he wants to leave.? Delgado's extra money should be (I'm too lazy to look at the actual numbers) taken care of by Hamton's freed up money.? We should have about $8 million extra for Conine/Enc.? AJ is at over $3 million.? I'd let Gonzo leave to save about $4 million for him on this year's budget to resign AJ.?

I just think AJ doesn't want to be here and some big market club will offer him idiotic level of money.? If we give him $8-$10 million a year, what will Beckett, Willis and Cabrera want?? That is the big question.

890780[/snapback]

Well (and I know this changes hourly) the Yankees aren't interested in him for big money because they were burned badly by Pavano and Wright. They're not interested in taking another pitcher from a pitcher's park who hasn't experienced the AL East. Who knows what's up with the Orioles, and that leaves just the Red Sox and Angels as "big" spenders to contend with us...because let's be realistic, AJ isn't extremely interested in Toronto, even with Arnsberg there.

To me, it was always an issue of having AJ "grow up" before any form of long-term investment was made (and how his money could be used to shore up the rotation in '06). Well, thanks to Vargas, the latter is no longer a problem.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see us go long term with Beckett and Willis and just buy out their arbitration years and two years of free-agency, but thanks to injuries (Beckett) and inconsistencies (Willis) it seems as if AJ may be the smartest long-term investment, while arbitration lets us delay the decisions on Beckett and Willis...go figure.

PS: Yeah, the deferred money roughly makes up for the amount owed to Delgado, while the Leiter money ($3 mil) should offset Beckett's raise through arbitration and leave some left over for Dontrelle.

Guest Guest

The big question is does AJ want to be here? I think it isn't about money and that he wants to leave. Delgado's extra money should be (I'm too lazy to look at the actual numbers) taken care of by Hamton's freed up money. We should have about $8 million extra for Conine/Enc. AJ is at over $3 million. I'd let Gonzo leave to save about $4 million for him on this year's budget to resign AJ.

I just think AJ doesn't want to be here and some big market club will offer him idiotic level of money. If we give him $8-$10 million a year, what will Beckett, Willis and Cabrera want? That is the big question.

890780[/snapback]

Well, Enc is gone, so that is not a big issue, and Conine could retire, or take a hometown discount. I doubt we will offer Conine anything real big, and that we wont pursue Enc at all. Thats the good thing about arbitration, we can delay giving Beckett, Willis, and Cabs the big money now and focus it on someone like AJ, and during that span hope new revenue streams open up for us to do the same thing with the afformentioned players(new ballpark, for example). It's a very nice system and one of the few good things about the money parity in baseball being the worst of all 4 sports...well its a good thing if an orginization knows how to allocate money well.

The big question is does AJ want to be here?? I think it isn't about money and that he wants to leave.? Delgado's extra money should be (I'm too lazy to look at the actual numbers) taken care of by Hamton's freed up money.? We should have about $8 million extra for Conine/Enc.? AJ is at over $3 million.? I'd let Gonzo leave to save about $4 million for him on this year's budget to resign AJ.?

I just think AJ doesn't want to be here and some big market club will offer him idiotic level of money.? If we give him $8-$10 million a year, what will Beckett, Willis and Cabrera want?? That is the big question.

890780[/snapback]

Well, Enc is gone, so that is not a big issue, and Conine could retire, or take a hometown discount. I doubt we will offer Conine anything real big, and that we wont pursue Enc at all. Thats the good thing about arbitration, we can delay giving Beckett, Willis, and Cabs the big money now and focus it on someone like AJ, and during that span hope new revenue streams open up for us to do the same thing with the afformentioned players(new ballpark, for example). It's a very nice system and one of the few good things about the money parity in baseball being the worst of all 4 sports...well its a good thing if an orginization knows how to allocate money well.

890792[/snapback]

With Beckett and Willis it's a good thing, but it'll bite us in the ass with Cabrera. He can't be allowed to reach arbitration, but he still has another year. Only Willis is reaching arbitration as a super-two.

Guest Guest

I agree, we should lock up Cabrera before his arby years get here, which we should have a better idea of our ability to do that after the winter meetings/spring training. On a side note, though, isn't it nice to see me contribute intelligently to a thread every now and then lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.