Jorgy's parents catch his ML debut

Hotcorner

Herald link

Parents catch MLB debut

BY KEVIN BAXTER

Stan Jorgensen thought he was giving his son some good old fatherly advice about dreaming too big. Turns out he was giving a push.

Either way, it paid off Monday when his son, Ryan Jorgensen, made his major-league debut for the Marlins. Jorgensen, a catcher called up from the minors after Paul Lo Duca strained his hamstring Saturday, caught the 11th inning of Monday's first game, then started the nightcap.

''When he was 11 years old we were going to the ballpark,'' Stan remembered Monday. 'And I said, `You know, you have to think about things, because baseball's a short thing.' And he said, `No, I want to be a professional. I want to be a professional ballplayer.'

``It's something that every kid who picks up a ball thinks about. To see it come to fruition, it's exciting. It really is. It's a dream that a lot of kids have, but you never ever see it come to that point. And for Ryan just to have come as far as Triple A, that's a tremendous step right there.''

Stan, 61, and his wife Loweta, 58, flew in Monday from Houston, where he works for the FAA, arriving just after the first game started.

For Ryan, it took 5 ? seasons and more than 400 games in the minor leagues to get to that point. And after suffering though all those games with his son Stan, from his seat 36 rows behind the Coors Field plate, knew just want to expect on his son's first at-bat.

''I could have bet you $100 he was not going to swing at the first pitch,'' Stan said when Ryan let the first major-league pitch he saw go by for a strike. ``He's going to get a look at this guy.''

Jorgensen ended that first at-bat flailing at a Byung-Hyun Kim pitch to strike out. But that didn't lessen the thrill for the Jorgensens.

''It was nerve-wracking, but it's exciting,'' said Loweta, a math teacher. ``Even if it is the only time.''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.