Help me choose a college

Admin

I have narrowed down my list of colleges I wish to attend after I finish up this semester of junior college, and was hoping to get some helpful insight. My freinds and family are not much help because they dont really want me to go far. But anyway, here are the 10 finalists:

1. U of Illinois(Champaign, IL)

2. Northern Illinois(Dekalb, IL)

3. U of Kentucky(Lexington, KY)

4. U of Georgia(Athens, GA)

5. U of Florida(Gainsville, FL)

6. Cal State-Northridge(Northridge/Los Angelas, CA)

7. Southern Illinois(Carbondale, IL)

8. Virginia Tech(Blacksburg, VA)

9. Ohio State(Columbus, OH)

10. U of Lousiana(Lafayette, LA)

Feel free to weigh in, I have been studying broucheres and looking over housing diagrams and looking at the programs on their respective websites. And also feel free to throw a few other colleges around if you want. I am always open to suggestions. I am a journalism major, with an emphasis on sports.

My HS GPA was low, 1.82...I stopped caring about school after my sophmore year and cared more about partying and beer, and just kept it high enough to play baseball, but my ACT score, 26, is extremely decent. I didn't take the SAT because it's not required in Illinois.

My HS GPA was low, 1.82...I stopped caring about school after my sophmore year and cared more about partying and beer, and just kept it high enough to play baseball, but my ACT score, 26, is extremely decent. I didn't take the SAT because it's not required in Illinois.

You got accepted into Stanford with a 1.82 GPA? I don't buy it.

Go to Kentucky I'd say.

Florida is an equal-merit state, they will take the SAT and/or ACT without preference. Since you are not a late high school grad, could you mind telling us your year of graduation? Florida will consider you a freshman, but the low GPA is going to murder you.

In our state University system, the University of Florida is considered the flagship school. However all the schools are well supported and you will get the best education system-wide of any system of this size in the world.

UF has the best journalism program in the state because not only do they hold license to Gainesville's public broadcasters (WUFT TV & Radio), but they also hold the best commercial frequency licenses in Gainesville (WRUF-AM/FM). More info here: http://www.wruf.com/ and http://www.wuft.org/default.htm

I graduated in 2002 and left for basic training a few weeks later. Did 2 years in the Army. As far as my HS GPA, its why I'm trying to do better in college(being away for 2 years made it...difficult to get back in the swing of things). State testing wise I was one of the smartest kids in all of Illinois, and to go along with that I am trying to get my college GPA up around 3.5.

I graduated in 2002 and left for basic training a few weeks later.? Did 2 years in the Army.? As far as my HS GPA, its why I'm trying to do better in college(being away for 2 years made it...difficult to get back in the swing of things).? State testing wise I was one of the smartest kids in all of Illinois, and to go along with that I am trying to get my college GPA up around 3.5.

896142[/snapback]

OK then, your high school GPA is then going to be thrown out of consideration here in Florida. To be a transfer student, you must try to get the 2-year degree that your current college awards. Use that to seek a transfer to the school and if they accept the credits, you will have no problem. Is your current college an accredited institution? If so, by whom?

BTW, as a Journalism major...you should look at what licenses each school holds...I did this quick look for you:

1. U of Illinois(Champaign, IL) WILL

2. Northern Illinois(Dekalb, IL) WNIJ & WNIU

3. U of Kentucky(Lexington, KY) WUKY & WRFL

4. U of Georgia(Athens, GA) WUGA

5. U of Florida(Gainesville, FL) WUFT & WRUF

6. Cal State-Northridge(Northridge/Los Angelas, CA) KCSN

7. Southern Illinois(Carbondale, IL) WSIU

8. Virginia Tech(Blacksburg, VA) WVTF, WUVT, & WWVT

9. Ohio State(Columbus, OH) WOSU

10. U of Lousiana(Lafayette, LA) KRVS

Do a search for each of these licenses. If they turn up a webpage...look around. Make sure they offer a chance for Journalism students to intern and/or work at these places. Also look in the market's media, make sure some neighboring markets are included. See what it would be like to get a job and internship. Finally...which school looks best on the resume? Not only the degree, but also the work-study and the internship chances you could choose at each school.

My reasoning points to the University of Florida.

I graduated in 2002 and left for basic training a few weeks later.? Did 2 years in the Army.? As far as my HS GPA, its why I'm trying to do better in college(being away for 2 years made it...difficult to get back in the swing of things).? State testing wise I was one of the smartest kids in all of Illinois, and to go along with that I am trying to get my college GPA up around 3.5.

896142[/snapback]

OK then, your high school GPA is then going to be thrown out of consideration here in Florida. To be a transfer student, you must try to get the 2-year degree that your current college awards. Use that to seek a transfer to the school and if they accept the credits, you will have no problem. Is your current college an accredited institution? If so, by whom?

BTW, as a Journalism major...you should look at what licenses each school holds...I did this quick look for you:

1. U of Illinois(Champaign, IL) WILL

2. Northern Illinois(Dekalb, IL) WNIJ & WNIU

3. U of Kentucky(Lexington, KY) WUKY & WRFL

4. U of Georgia(Athens, GA) WUGA

5. U of Florida(Gainesville, FL) WUFT & WRUF

6. Cal State-Northridge(Northridge/Los Angelas, CA) KCSN

7. Southern Illinois(Carbondale, IL) WSIU

8. Virginia Tech(Blacksburg, VA) WVTF, WUVT, & WWVT

9. Ohio State(Columbus, OH) WOSU

10. U of Lousiana(Lafayette, LA) KRVS

Do a search for each of these licenses. If they turn up a webpage...look around. Make sure they offer a chance for Journalism students to intern and/or work at these places. Also look in the market's media, make sure some neighboring markets are included. See what it would be like to get a job and internship. Finally...which school looks best on the resume? Not only the degree, but also the work-study and the internship chances you could choose at each school.

My reasoning points to the University of Florida.

896152[/snapback]

Hey thanks for all that info. I wanted to go to SIU, because they have a decent journalism program, but as for what I am hoping to do with it(sports), they really had nothing to offer besides the occasional showing of Saluki basketball games. The school I go to is accredited(by the state of IL if I am not mistaken), but I am not sure how it's credits transfer out of state, but that is easy to find out. My schedule this year(Mass Communication, Philosophy, English 178-creative writing, sociology, psychology, and speech)the credits are all transferable from my college throughout the state, so my guess is they should transfer to other colleges out of state. As far as U of I Champaign/Urbana goes, it is probably the #1 or #2 public school in the US(from what I have read), UNC Chapel Hill is a up there as well. But I think what gets it such a high rating is so hign based in the fields of science and law. Northern Illinois, someone on here told me actually, has the best journalism program in the state.

Hey thanks for all that info.? I wanted to go to SIU, because they have a decent journalism program, but as for what I am hoping to do with it(sports), they really had nothing to offer besides the occasional showing of Saluki basketball games.? The school I go to is accredited(by the state of IL if I am not mistaken), but I am not sure how it's credits transfer out of state, but that is easy to find out.? My schedule this year(Mass Communication, Philosophy, English 178-creative writing, sociology, psychology, and speech)the credits are all transferable from my college throughout the state, so my guess is they should transfer to other colleges.

896158[/snapback]

However, UF really gives plenty of chances for you to learn not only the product-side, but technical-side of journalism. From radio board op to TV anchor...they can do it all.

For SIU:

WSIU Radio has three professional news producers. We also have six paid student staff members and about 30 student volunteer news and sports reporters. Our students and volunteers work alongside professional staff members to produce our news coverage each day.

http://www.wsiu.org/aboutus/faq/faqfm.shtml

I've actually been interested in Florida for a long time. I have a great uncle who lives in Ocala who rants and raves about UF(mostly their medical center, but I guess he knows alot of people whos kids have attended there and had great success).

I've actually been interested in Florida for a long time. I have a great uncle who lives in Ocala who rants and raves about UF(mostly their medical center, but I guess he knows alot of people whos kids have attended there and had great success).

896163[/snapback]

I plan to attend FSU....so I am in no way a Gator lover, but for Journalism...this is an 800 pound gorilla on the block. If you are willing to put in the hard work, travel to Gainesville, and deal with life in Gainesville (both socially and academically) then welcome to the Sunshine State!

I've actually been interested in Florida for a long time.? I have a great uncle who lives in Ocala who rants and raves about UF(mostly their medical center, but I guess he knows alot of people whos kids have attended there and had great success).

896163[/snapback]

I plan to attend FSU....so I am in no way a Gator lover, but for Journalism...this is an 800 pound gorilla on the block. If you are willing to put in the hard work, travel to Gainesville, and deal with life in Gainesville (both socially and academically) then welcome to the Sunshine State!

896166[/snapback]

Thats cool, what do you plan to major in? I think I can handle living there, probably just like any other college. I have spent alot of time with my friends down in Carbondale(top 3 party school in the US). I want a place that partys, but not so much it takes priority over schoolwork.

Guest FishFanInPA

Well since your not into school and love partying, Go to Florida or Ohio State where partying is a major...There you can be just another dumb athlete who skates by because they coddle you.

1.82 with a 26? I should have applied to Stanford.

896184[/snapback]

Maybe, I wanted to go there but the tuition(like $34K per semester) was wayyy to high. And because I slacked in highschool my parents wouldn't help, figureing they'd be paying $$$ for me to drink beer in California. I see their perspective now, and back then they were probably right. This is why I joined the army.

Well since your not into school and love partying, Go to Florida or Ohio State where partying is a major...There you can be just another dumb athlete who skates by because they coddle you.

I wasn't into school in highschool, but my outlook has changed. And while coddleing would be nice, I dont know how good a shot I have of making the baseball team at a big D-1 school, espically Ohio State and Florida, who are generally good at baseball.

Go to Elon :cool

Out of those I guess go to Florida. Make sure you visit these schools and whatnot to make sure its where you wanna go and just don't go to it because of the 'name'

896212[/snapback]

I've heard of Elon but dont know much about it. Fill me in.

4. U of Georgia(Athens, GA)

5. U of Florida(Gainsville, FL)

8. Virginia Tech(Blacksburg, VA)

These are the three on the list I would attend. UF is a great school, but may not be worth out of state tuition, just like Georgia.

Where you get your undergraduate degree is overrated.

896220[/snapback]

Georgia's out of state tuition is actually quite cheap...about the same as I would pay to go to U of I, which is instate.

896128[/snapback]

wow. you must be like part-hopi, part-eskimo, and part-aborigine....and a first-round caliber shortstop.

896182[/snapback]

Hilarious!

Stereotyping qwnz!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.