Question for Out of State Marlins Fans

FreshFish

Even when I was little I didn't like the Cardinals, due to how they are shoved down our throats in Southern Illinois. And of course, nothing cool about being a Cub fan. Well, in the Cristmas of 92(maybe, or possibly my 9th b-day in '93), my mom got me a teal Marlin cap. Well, to make her happy, I wore the hat everywhere and watched every game I could, and they became my fav team pretty quick.

Even when I was little I didn't like the Cardinals, due to how they are shoved down our throats in Southern Illinois. And of course, nothing cool about being a Cub fan. Well, in the Cristmas of 92(maybe, or possibly my 9th b-day in '93), my mom got me a teal Marlin cap. Well, to make her happy, I wore the hat everywhere and watched every game I could, and they became my fav team pretty quick.

903971[/snapback]

pretty nice story :thumbup

Thanks

Never liked the Phillies and thought jumping on board with an expansion team was cool....Thank god i didnt decide to root for the Rockies...

Plus my grandmother in Pembroke Pines sent me tons of newspapers from Florida about the Marlins and I took a shine to them.

Born and raised in Miami lived there for 25 years had season tickets for the fish from 95-97 then after the WS in 97 I did not renew my season tickets in part because I was pissed at Huizinga and in part because I had quit my job and I was starting college. In 2003 I started my season tickets back up in my last year of graduate school I was pretty busy then so I only had the weekend package for the fish but what a year, I am one of the few who can honestly say I had season tickets in both world series runs. But after I finished my Masters degree I got a job in Minnesota that I could not turn down so I am living here now... But I still get to Miami for about 10 games a year and I also make anual road trips to Miller Park when the fish play and this year since they play the Cubs immediately after the Brewers I am going to my first Game at Wrigley to see the fish at the end of this month. Next year we are driving to the new park in St. Louis.

my spot in upstate NY really doesn't have a local team ... lots of yankee and mets fans to be sure, but in reality the pirates, indians, jays and even phillies are closer geographically

so i really didn't have a favorite team ... i had a few teams i liked, but none to really call my own

the expansion happened and I decided to pick one of the two ... the marlins just looked cooler and ended up putting a minor league affiliate just down the road a ways and I became hooked

Just slowly got into baseball a few years ago when I went to a White Sox and Astros game. Why Florida? I love the state, have been to every county, hope to move there in two years, and it's nice to see a "lunch pale" team succeed from humble beginnings.

Hopeful future Orlando resident

-Steven, 22, New Orleans

I wish people would realize that Southwest Florida, the Treasure Coast, the interior Lake region, and all of Monroe County belong to South Florida.

904101[/snapback]

politically yes, geographically no... Just look where USF is :lol

904123[/snapback]

Geographically no? Lee County and Collier County are on the same level as Palm Beach and Broward Counties. Monroe County is further south of Miami-Dade County.

No ties. As a young kid I was fascinated by marine animals and became a Miami Dolphins because of it. By the time of the time of the Marlins birth, I was getting into the minor leagues and subscribing to Baseball Weekly. I thought it would be cool to follow a team from its start. My family held no baseball allegiences.

i was born in mercy hospital in miami and lived in homestead until i was 5 when my family(air force) moved to germany in 1987...we lived there for 2 years and then moved to north conway new hampshire where i started 2nd grade...then we moved to kissimmee florida and i finished 2nd grade there, then we moved to massachusetts before 3rd grade and i have lived here ever since...every summer and christmas i would go down to visit my dad who also lived in homestead and i would play at red berry's baseball world and i remember red berry talking about the giants possibly moving to florida and i was so excited that florida would finally have its own mlb team...and then the announcement came that south florida would have the marlins...and i was hooked instantly...i went to my first game in 93 against the mets and my dad took me to many games until about 2000 when he no longer was a baseball fan because my new stepmom wasnt a baseball fan...so with our relationship not going so well and my chances to see the marlins dwindling...ive always done my best to follow my fav team...i got the chance to see my marlins take on the red sox at fenway park in 03 and see mikey hit the game winning homer as i screamed and cheered and got booed and spit on and pushed...as a marlins fan i got to see livan hernandez's first start, counsells first start, and so many other great memories...i love the marlins, i always will and i will always believe that they if they dont have a home in miami, they have a home in my mind, my heart, and my soul...

I became a Marlins' fan while living in Texas. It was Easter of the year 1993 and I had a Marlins' hat in my Easter basket. I didn't know what it was at first so my Dad had to tell me that it was one of the two new baseball teams. Being 10 years old, I thought that was the coolest thing ever. I've been hooked ever since. I'd just like to thank my Dad for not getting me a Rockies hat. :thumbup

I live in California and Jason Vargas caught my eye. Great pitching! I hope to visit Miami next year.

904182[/snapback]

I hope you stay a fan for the long haul. Through the ups and downs, this is a great team to love. :thumbup

904193[/snapback]

Thanks, I plan on it! I'm ready for the game today too! :marlins

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.