Civilization breaking down in NO and....

Shamrock

One of the factors is that it's liveable.

My dad always hated on New Orleans. He did some basic training in the south and was able to visit the non-titty areas to do some fieldwork. Anyways, he always said, "You'd have to be crazy to live there." Columbus is liveable. True, I was born here and I like it here because the most I have to deal with is the cold.

Put me in a place where there's frequent tornado touchdowns or chance of your whole state felling into the sea (sorry California) or even being covered by 20 foot waters and I just don't feel safe.

923050[/snapback]

So you're born in Louisiana. You went to LSU. You have family in Louisiana. You have a job in Lousiana.

But you know hurricanes have the chance to hit your area sometime in your lifetime there you get the hell out of dodge? Please...

Guest markotsay7

I don't buy that "in the projects" stuff Passion, because no matter how poor the area is you can't say NO ONE has any outside lines of communication. Come on, dood. Go find someone who knows and axe somebody.

"Hey, neighbor what's going on? When's this crap end?" That's what we did last year's blizzard when we went seven days wifout power. You find out through people.

And people not being able to choose where they live is the natural selection part. Sucks to say, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Choose your poison. I choose blizzards because I can stand the freezing cold and we have ways to effectively counter that (everyone around here has SOME kind of kerosene heater or otherwise). You can't fight big gusts of wind.

923014[/snapback]

I'm not trying to start an argument, but have you ever been to an impoverished or 'ghetto' area? Communication isn't exactly open and friendly. I guarantee you that specific details of the evacuation (and hurricane information) were not given to the poorer areas, and that vague descriptions of procedures were doled out.

Just a guess, at least.

923018[/snapback]

How impoverished are we talking about here? I mean I've been to one of the poorest regions in the world in a small little village in the Uxpanapa Valley of deep Mexico, so I have a small idea of waht impoverished is like.....

I mean its not like this wasnt all over the entire news...you would think there would be at least one person in your family that would catch a bit of news...hey this huge hurricane is coming, we better do something about it...and ya the media 'blacked' out the poorer areas from communication. even the newspapers 'mentioned' this little storm approaching in the sunday editions. I'm sorry but I dont buy the 'they had no clue what was going on excuse'

923036[/snapback]

It's not about having 'no' clue. It's about knowing vaguely what to do in those circumstances. Like I said, due to poor future tracking, the people of the area had less than 48 hours (more like 36) to get their sh*t together. Obviously, most people had somewhere else to go. Some people (a lot) didn't know exactly what to do, rather than not knowing what's going on.

923042[/snapback]

If I'm given 36 hours, I don't take my sweet ass time "getting my s*** together". I take what's valuable/necessary to me, load up my car, and haul ass in the opposite direction.

If someone told me right now that I had 36 hours to get out of here before the world's largest hurricane/tornado/lightning storm/disaster hit me, I'd be on the road in an hour heading northwest, no doubt about it. If I didn't have money? I'd get to wherever I could and sleep in my damn car. Nothing's more valuable than life and it's ridiculous to think that the reason that people wouldn't leave is because they couldn't get prepared in time. There should be no preparation. You take what you need and you move out.

923052[/snapback]

That's not a luxury available to all people. Like I said before, unless you've lived in a poorer area, you can't relate. You just can't.

923053[/snapback]

What luxury isn't available man? If they don't have cars, I understand. Past that, I don't, so an explanation would be appreciated.

I don't buy that "in the projects" stuff Passion, because no matter how poor the area is you can't say NO ONE has any outside lines of communication. Come on, dood. Go find someone who knows and axe somebody.

"Hey, neighbor what's going on? When's this crap end?" That's what we did last year's blizzard when we went seven days wifout power. You find out through people.

And people not being able to choose where they live is the natural selection part. Sucks to say, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Choose your poison. I choose blizzards because I can stand the freezing cold and we have ways to effectively counter that (everyone around here has SOME kind of kerosene heater or otherwise). You can't fight big gusts of wind.

923014[/snapback]

I'm not trying to start an argument, but have you ever been to an impoverished or 'ghetto' area? Communication isn't exactly open and friendly. I guarantee you that specific details of the evacuation (and hurricane information) were not given to the poorer areas, and that vague descriptions of procedures were doled out.

Just a guess, at least.

923018[/snapback]

How impoverished are we talking about here? I mean I've been to one of the poorest regions in the world in a small little village in the Uxpanapa Valley of deep Mexico, so I have a small idea of waht impoverished is like.....

I mean its not like this wasnt all over the entire news...you would think there would be at least one person in your family that would catch a bit of news...hey this huge hurricane is coming, we better do something about it...and ya the media 'blacked' out the poorer areas from communication. even the newspapers 'mentioned' this little storm approaching in the sunday editions. I'm sorry but I dont buy the 'they had no clue what was going on excuse'

923036[/snapback]

It's not about having 'no' clue. It's about knowing vaguely what to do in those circumstances. Like I said, due to poor future tracking, the people of the area had less than 48 hours (more like 36) to get their sh*t together. Obviously, most people had somewhere else to go. Some people (a lot) didn't know exactly what to do, rather than not knowing what's going on.

923042[/snapback]

so again it comes down to ignorance which was the point entirely, just on various levels.

i need to find me a copy of sunday's NOLA paper....I'm sure there was some info in there on where to go..considering that on saturday they were recommending people to seek shelters, i'm sure there was info regarding shelters one could goto.

923048[/snapback]

A combination of ignorance and fear. If you've lived in the same place your entire life, it's not easy to leave within a 36 hour notice. If this was normal circumstances, and the future track had been accurate, there would have been a 4 or 5 day period during which experts would have advised evacuation.

Then, there surely would have been less people. It's hard to cite one specific reason for people staying in NO.

923051[/snapback]

you live in NOLA. you are below sea level to start with. you are on the gulf coast. the gulf coast has hurricanes. unless you are not very intelligent you should at least have a clue what to do when a hurricane is approaching. well either not intelligent or very stubborn.

My dad always hated on New Orleans.? He did some basic training in the south and was able to visit the non-titty areas to do some fieldwork.? Anyways, he always said, "You'd have to be crazy to live there."? Columbus is liveable.? True, I was born here and I like it here because the most I have to deal with is the cold.

Put me in a place where there's frequent tornado touchdowns or chance of your whole state felling into the sea (sorry California) or even being covered by 20 foot waters and I just don't feel safe.

923050[/snapback]

So you're born in Louisiana. You went to LSU. You have family in Louisiana. You have a job in Lousiana.

But you know hurricanes have the chance to hit your area sometime in your lifetime there you get the hell out of dodge? Please...

923054[/snapback]

They were told it was deadly serious. C'mon, man.

It's not like I haven't had oppurtunities to move other places... I have a lot of friends who live in LA and have tried to convince me to move there. It's just not happening. I've been in one earthquake ever and it's not worth it to me.

I don't buy that "in the projects" stuff Passion, because no matter how poor the area is you can't say NO ONE has any outside lines of communication.? Come on, dood.? Go find someone who knows and axe somebody.?

"Hey, neighbor what's going on?? When's this crap end?"? That's what we did last year's blizzard when we went seven days wifout power.? You find out through people.

And people not being able to choose where they live is the natural selection part.? Sucks to say, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.? Choose your poison.? I choose blizzards because I can stand the freezing cold and we have ways to effectively counter that (everyone around here has SOME kind of kerosene heater or otherwise).? You can't fight big gusts of wind.

923014[/snapback]

Just a guess, at least.

923018[/snapback]

923036[/snapback]

923042[/snapback]

If I'm given 36 hours, I don't take my sweet ass time "getting my s*** together". I take what's valuable/necessary to me, load up my car, and haul ass in the opposite direction.

If someone told me right now that I had 36 hours to get out of here before the world's largest hurricane/tornado/lightning storm/disaster hit me, I'd be on the road in an hour heading northwest, no doubt about it. If I didn't have money? I'd get to wherever I could and sleep in my damn car. Nothing's more valuable than life and it's ridiculous to think that the reason that people wouldn't leave is because they couldn't get prepared in time. There should be no preparation. You take what you need and you move out.

923052[/snapback]

That's not a luxury available to all people. Like I said before, unless you've lived in a poorer area, you can't relate. You just can't.

923053[/snapback]

What luxury isn't available man? If they don't have cars, I understand. Past that, I don't, so an explanation would be appreciated.

923058[/snapback]

Ok, this is rediculous. It's easy to judge from the outside. I was in Andrew, I remember vaguely the panic and frustration. My father lost his boat, we stayed in South Florida, and we made it (luckily) without much material loss. Evacuation was mandatory then, and so it was here. You can't just say

"This is what I would do."

Look, if these people had a second chance at this, they would all have left. They made the wrong decision (I never said it was the right choice), and they have to pay the consequences.

But it's asinine and ignorant to pretend that you know what's going through the mind of these people when disaster is about to strike.

My dad always hated on New Orleans. He did some basic training in the south and was able to visit the non-titty areas to do some fieldwork. Anyways, he always said, "You'd have to be crazy to live there." Columbus is liveable. True, I was born here and I like it here because the most I have to deal with is the cold.

923050[/snapback]

923054[/snapback]

They were told it was deadly serious. C'mon, man.

It's not like I haven't had oppurtunities to move other places... I have a lot of friends who live in LA and have tried to convince me to move there. It's just not happening. I've been in one earthquake ever and it's not worth it to me.

923060[/snapback]

Again the factors that keep you in Ohio are not that it is a lower risk area for hurricanes or natural disaster but that you have a job there, schooled there, lived there for an extended period of time.

Thats what keeps someone in Lousiana from moving away.

You can not say just because of a certain place they live, 'they had it coming to 'em'. Thats just an absurd statement.

Guest markotsay7

923014[/snapback]

Just a guess, at least.

923018[/snapback]

923036[/snapback]

923042[/snapback]

923052[/snapback]

923053[/snapback]

923058[/snapback]

Ok, this is rediculous. It's easy to judge from the outside. I was in Andrew, I remember vaguely the panic and frustration. My father lost his boat, we stayed in South Florida, and we made it (luckily) without much material loss. Evacuation was mandatory then, and so it was here. You can't just say

923061[/snapback]

That in no way, shape, or form answered my question. What is this magical luxury that isn't available for these poor people to get out, if it isn't a lack of transportation?

I don't buy that "in the projects" stuff Passion, because no matter how poor the area is you can't say NO ONE has any outside lines of communication.? Come on, dood.? Go find someone who knows and axe somebody.?

"Hey, neighbor what's going on?? When's this crap end?"? That's what we did last year's blizzard when we went seven days wifout power.? You find out through people.

And people not being able to choose where they live is the natural selection part.? Sucks to say, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.? Choose your poison.? I choose blizzards because I can stand the freezing cold and we have ways to effectively counter that (everyone around here has SOME kind of kerosene heater or otherwise).? You can't fight big gusts of wind.

923014[/snapback]

Just a guess, at least.

923018[/snapback]

923036[/snapback]

923042[/snapback]

923052[/snapback]

923053[/snapback]

923058[/snapback]

923061[/snapback]

That in no way, shape, or form answered my question. What is this magical luxury that isn't available for these poor people to get out, if it isn't a lack of transportation?

923068[/snapback]

I can't answer that! I know they should have left, I am only giving reasons why they didn't!!

Hell, they could have run as far away from NO as possible, but they didn't. And I'm just trying to voice my opinion as to why.

Look, if these people had a second chance at this, they would all have left. They made the wrong decision (I never said it was the right choice), and they have to pay the consequences.

But it's asinine and ignorant to pretend that you know what's going through the mind of these people when disaster is about to strike.

923065[/snapback]

well the poverty excuse was thrown around and the 'they dont have that great of communication was thrown around' so thats doing the same thing you say we shouldnt be doing.

and yes i forget where we live sometimes....there are ignorants all around you no matter where you are. those with 1/8 a brain found a way...in a panic induced state even.

923065[/snapback]

well the poverty excuse was thrown around and the 'they dont have that great of communication was thrown around' so thats doing the same thing you say we shouldnt be doing.

and yes i forget where we live sometimes....there are ignorants all around you no matter where you are. those with 1/8 a brain found a way...in a panic induced state even.

923072[/snapback]

I'm throwing out opinions, and ONLY based on my past experiences.

923065[/snapback]

923072[/snapback]

I'm throwing out opinions, and ONLY based on my past experiences.

923075[/snapback]

as am i. most people are stupid. end of story. i mean take san antonio. every time it floods the same areas are low water crossings where your car will get washed away. every time it floods there is some dramatic high water rescue because some idiot went around the barracades....why?

stupidity. never doubt the stupidity of people.

Fellas, I see too much devil's advocate going on here.

Here are some simple common sense facts:

1. Every poor person is not dumb and/or ignorant.

2. I am sure almost every person who stayed, to a man, knew that a powerful hurricane was coming their way.

3. The people who chose to stay in their house and "ride out the storm", below sea level and are suffering now were either stubborn, stupid, ignorant or all three.

4. There is no excuse to not go to a shelter when you live in a city like NO, which is the most vulnerable city in the entire United States to a hurricane.

To say people deserved this is cruel, however, for the people that stayed, they assumed the risk and basically asked for trouble by doing so.

I have compassion for them, however, I can offer very little sympathy for those who disobeyed the MANDITORY evacuation order and refused the FREE evacuation transportation. I offer more for the people in the Superdome who are suffering despite heading the warnings the best they could, yet they are still alive.

What in the world is wrong with you people on this thread? Have you ever thought that most of the people who stayed in their homes in NO are hard working citizens who have worked hard to achive what they have. It isn't easy to just leave everything you've worked for in life. To expect people to just forget about what they have because a hurricane is coming is total BS! It isn't materalism or stupidity or stubburness. Even those who evacuated possibly have no homes or life to get back to.

To those of you who even have the guts to type these asinine posts I'd just love to see any of your reactions and emotions if you lost everything in your life in a natural disaster and become homeless and dependent on others for survival.

To those of you who even have the guts to type these asinine posts I'd just love to see any of your reactions and emotions if you lost everything in your life in a natural disaster and become homeless and dependent on others for survival.

923123[/snapback]

Property can be replaced. Life cannot.

Again it comes down to

material > life

what an amazing mentality there

923123[/snapback]

Again it comes down to

material > life

923124[/snapback]

And then come back to what life? You have no job, no home and everything is gone.

Have you noticed that 15 years later there are still people recovering from Andrew. It will take these people years, even a decade for them to recover again.

923123[/snapback]

Again it comes down to

material > life

923124[/snapback]

And then come back to what life? You have no job, no home and everything is gone.

Have you noticed that 15 years later there are still people recovering from Andrew. It will take these people years, even a decade for them to recover again.

923125[/snapback]

Das is 100% correct and you are way off base.

You make a claim that the people did not leave because they did not want to leave their possesions behind. This, despite the numerous warnings, a category 5 hurricane coming and living in a city that is several feet under sea level. That my friend, is called stupidity. Nothing else.

The people who have no home to come back to still have one major advantage than the people who rode it out, they still have their life. Plan and simple, and that is the most important thing, at least that is what a sane person would say.

And to answer your question, I would be devestated if I lost everything, but I would rather be safe and alive at that time then dead.

Question to you: What did anyone have to gain by staying in their house with their "items"? Could they save their house by staying in it as opposed to evacuating? Answer that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.