Civilization breaking down in NO and....

Shamrock

To those of you who even have the guts to type these asinine posts I'd just love to see any of your reactions and emotions if you lost everything in your life in a natural disaster and become homeless and dependent on others for survival.

923123[/snapback]

Property can be replaced. Life cannot.

Again it comes down to

material > life

what an amazing mentality there

923124[/snapback]

Logic sides with your argument, but life is not black and white (or Life vs Material possesions). There could be a billion of reasons, that factored in people decisions. for example, a sense of adventure or someone having no faith in local authorities for whatever reasons. Most people tend to take irrational decision when they are put in a precarious situation.

In addition, we should not be judging others based on our standard of living. I just feel bad for them, since they are just human beings.

To those of you who even have the guts to type these asinine posts I'd just love to see any of your reactions and emotions if you lost everything in your life in a natural disaster and become homeless and dependent on others for survival.

923123[/snapback]

Again it comes down to

material > life

923124[/snapback]

And then come back to what life? You have no job, no home and everything is gone.

Have you noticed that 15 years later there are still people recovering from Andrew. It will take these people years, even a decade for them to recover again.

923125[/snapback]

Das is 100% correct and you are way off base.

You make a claim that the people did not leave because they did not want to leave their possesions behind. This, despite the numerous warnings, a category 5 hurricane coming and living in a city that is several feet under sea level. That my friend, is called stupidity. Nothing else.

The people who have no home to come back to still have one major advantage than the people who rode it out, they still have their life. Plan and simple, and that is the most important thing, at least that is what a sane person would say.

And to answer your question, I would be devestated if I lost everything, but I would rather be safe and alive at that time then dead.

Question to you: What did anyone have to gain by staying in their house with their "items"? Could they save their house by staying in it as opposed to evacuating? Answer that.

923153[/snapback]

Your argument is neither fair or valid. You have never been through such a disaster, so there is no way for you to grasp the mentality of the people who stayed.

Over 100,000 people stayed in NO, so there is obviously something more than 'stupidity' involved.

923123[/snapback]

Again it comes down to

material > life

923124[/snapback]

And then come back to what life? You have no job, no home and everything is gone.

Have you noticed that 15 years later there are still people recovering from Andrew. It will take these people years, even a decade for them to recover again.

923125[/snapback]

Das is 100% correct and you are way off base.

You make a claim that the people did not leave because they did not want to leave their possesions behind. This, despite the numerous warnings, a category 5 hurricane coming and living in a city that is several feet under sea level. That my friend, is called stupidity. Nothing else.

The people who have no home to come back to still have one major advantage than the people who rode it out, they still have their life. Plan and simple, and that is the most important thing, at least that is what a sane person would say.

And to answer your question, I would be devestated if I lost everything, but I would rather be safe and alive at that time then dead.

923153[/snapback]

They had 1 day to evacuate an entire city thanks to Mayor C. Ray Nagin who waited to the last minute and would have waited more if it wasn't for Max Mayfield over at the NHC.

Of course I agree with you that saving your life is more important than material possesions (and no I'm not insane if you're implying that). But the majority of people in this country if in a similar situation would do the same to protect there possesions and their property cause as usual, humanity believes it can defy nature's wrath. Also as much as we can blame people for staying in NO, Bolixi, Gulfport, etc. Many thought they could survive the storm because many homes in that area survived Camille which was more powerful and intense hurricane than Katrina, just smaller in size.

And trust me, some people after those disasters would rather be dead than alive because they can't handle situation. I remember speaking to one man a couple weeks after Andrew and he told me he would have killed himself if he actually would've found his gun which probably was blown away when his entire house was destoryed.

And as far as those who evacuated, who knows whats going through they're minds as we type. Some are strong enough to accept the catastrophe and other are probably considering suicide at this point.

You know what should be considered as stupidity and moronic (plus whatever words you wish to use) is that this entire catastrophy could've been avoided. There was a $14 billion dollar proposal that would have increased the height of the levees and preserve the wetlands that were sinking but as usual politician thought the price tag was to high and that the scenario (of catastrophic flooding) would probably would never happen. You also have to consider that other cities in the US have this same problem like Houston which also sinking but never at the speed of NO.

Question to you: What did anyone have to gain by staying in their house with their "items"? Could they save their house by staying in it as opposed to evacuating? Answer that.

Remember that city got western side of the eye which is technically the weaker side of the hurricane and many thought after the hurricane passed that NO had dodged the bullet once again. All of this people who took the chance probably would be alive if the damn levee system wasn't so damn old and outdated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.