Hermida: Is he for real

The GS was the major highlite of last night and practically every Marlins Fan knows about it. The Kid got a GS on his first AB surprising everyone, but the point is it was only 1 AB. Now everyone thinks the kid is awesome, but the truth is, we need to know if the kid is for real!

I want to know everyone's opinion on this. I want some good arguements as to if he will be worth putting in for actual play time, possibly substituing him in the left OF and putting cabs at 3rd. Now I know one major comment that will be brought up multiple times that I hope is not used "but he hit a GS on his first AB"

We have seen even Mike Lowell hit a GS, remember the Rangers game? Well where are his helpful attempts now, give me reason as to why you think he will or will not be worth putting in! :thumbup

I like his approach and confidence as much as the result

lowell seems to just kind of stick his bat out there and then make a swing if he can pick up the ball

he's not really even taking good cuts right now

if hermida can go up there, see the ball and swing the bat then it's worth the chance in my opinion

I like his approach and confidence as much as the result

lowell seems to just kind of stick his bat out there and then make a swing if he can pick up the ball

he's not really even taking good cuts right now

if hermida can go up there, see the ball and swing the bat then it's worth the chance in my opinion

925242[/snapback]

I agree. We ought to give the kid a chance for a few games. You know he's gotten a lot of confidence after hitting that GS... maybe that will make him play better. He'll be more relaxed at the plate, unlike many rookies.

"Is he for real"? Well I do believe he's an actual, physical being, and definitely has mass.

Will he be any good? Well he was our top hitting prospect by anyone's measure, has been rated very high by almost every scouting report I've ever seen, and I've read that minor league coaches and scouts have said he's as ready for the bigs as Miguel Cabrera was.

That's about all I need to hear. Whether that all translates into stardom in the majors is now up to him, but the consensus is that he's a top prospect, and he's ready.

Personally I think being a patient hitter will help tremendously.

I'll copy what I posted in the Lowell thread...

Jeremy Hermida will automatically be the 3rd best hitter on the Marlins. Yes, he's young. Yes, he's a prospect. Yes, he's untested. But when it comes to hitters (pitchers are totally different)... if you can put up amazing stats at AA, you will put up good stats in the Major Leagues.

Hermida will get on base with a .400+ OBP and occasionally knock in runs. All it would take is 10 minutes of your time to reseach Baseball America, his stats, his tendencies, and a refresher course in charting prospects from Baseball Prospectus. Then there would be no arguement.

Hermida isn't just a good prospect. He's a special prospect. People are going insane about Jeff Francoeur. Hermida is every good as Francoeur, but he will also take 100 walks, while Francouer will be lucky to take 10.

He's the only guy to be #1 in our system 2 years in a row since Beckett (and he and Josh are the only guys to be #1 for 2 consecutive years). He put up good numbers at every level, and there isn't any scout you can talk to who won't tell you that Hermida is better than Francoeur (since they grew up very close to each other, the comparison will always be there).

He's beyond ready...problem is there isn't exactly a "spot" for him.

look the kid is good and ranked as a very good prospect, but the grand slam was partly luck... he reaaly just hit a homer in his 1st ab while the bases happened to be juiced. it takes a lot of luck for you to get up at the 1st ab ever and have the bases loaded... but there is no doubt hitting a gs while you are extremly nervous is petty studly. i think the kid is gonna be pretty good... maybe a spark to get us to october. i was one who said try an let lowel work out of it but he just cant do ity this year... so unfortunately we have to sacrifice gold glove defense to put miggy at 3rd... all you guys are setting hermida up to fail your expectations though.... yeah he hit a gs but you cant proclaim him babe ruth already.... like you guys did with vargas... the next clemens

if this kid is for real could you imagine our lineup next year. Two amazing hitters in miggy and delgado and a rising star in Hermida. THis kid is looking better than Francoeur!

925356[/snapback]

This kid has been ranked higher than Francoeur throughout his minor league career.

He will have a better career because he has a good OBP. Francoeur is cooling off right now a bit.

I remember when Met fans swore that Reyes was better than Cabrera. We know now that despite being complete opposite players, Cabrera is better and has more potential.

I expect the same from Hermida over Francoeur.

Uh, there's a reason he's been dubbed our future starting rightfielder the moment he was drafted. And unlike so many who were dubbed with such a lofty title, he's proven himself in the minors. I thought he was going to initially struggle as he did in the first few weeks of the promotion to the Florida State League and Arizona Fall League and as Cabrera did his first few weeks in the majors.

I was so flabbergasted last night that he was even up to bat. I was on cloud nine seeing him in a Marlins uni finally. Hermida is special and for the rest of the season, start him in left and bench Lowell as Hermida brought an obvious jolt with his grand slam. You could see Carlos taking big cuts, Enc hitting the homer, Easley almost hitting one out. He should play and then we will worry about Lowell in the offseason.

I was so flabbergasted last night that he was even up to bat. I was on cloud nine seeing him in a Marlins uni finally. Hermida is special and for the rest of the season, start him in left and bench Lowell as Hermida brought an obvious jolt with his grand slam. You could see Carlos taking big cuts, Enc hitting the homer, Easley almost hitting one out. He should play and then we will worry about Lowell in the offseason.925648[/snapback]

Thats what I was going to write.. after the homer the Marlins felt like if Hermida can do it why cant we.. :thumbup

Even if he struggles, you can't teach a player patience, and patience stays with you at every level. He can hit .230 and still have a .350 on-base considering he should walk a very good amount. I doubt he hits that low, though. The kid won't swing at bad pitches... That and the fact that his name isn't Mike Lowell.

We should stick him in the everday lineup. I'm sorry Mike, but you're done.

I'm not sure if all scouts woulda rated Hermida over Francoeur (Baseball America rated Francoeur higher, Baseball Prospectus rated Francoeur higher, John Sickels rated Francoeur higher), but I think Hermida has the superior approach----- The anti-Francoeur approach. Scouts love Francoeur because of his raw tools and scouts love Hermida because of his "old player skills".

I think Hermida will be like Brian Giles with speed in his prime.. though he might lose some of that speed.