Deion "Challenges" pros for relief

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens cornerback Deion Sanders challenged all professional athletes to donate at least $1,000 apiece through payroll deductions to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Flanked by teammates and Louisiana natives Ed Reed and Alan Ricard, Sanders on Friday called for each team in the NFL, NBA and Major League Baseball, as well as other pro sports, to help him reach a goal of $1.5 million to $3 million for the cause.

Red Cross

"The recent devastation of Hurricane Katrina in the aftermath of her wrath, there has been a loss of life, property, finances, homelessness and a multitude of atrocities. The people affected by this disaster is astronomical," Sanders said.

"As citizens of this country, we need to unite to help our brothers and sisters in their time of need. We must all stretch the boundaries of the giving as far as we are able to, knowing we will enrich the lives of others."

On Thursday, Louisiana native Warrick Dunn -- the NFL Man of the Year in 2004 -- made an emotional plea to NFL players to contribute at least $5,000 apiece to relief efforts, saying players have a moral obligation to help. The Falcons running back said the Saints shouldn't have to give, but getting the 53 players on the 31 other teams to donate the $5,000 would boost the relief effort by more than $8.2 million.

The Ravens players also called for fans to donate money, clothing and supplies to the ravaged Gulf Coast.

"Through unity, we can touch thousands," Sanders said. "This is in our own backyard. We feel this. Ed, Alan, feel this. I have friends, relatives that feel this pain. Help in any way you can."

Added Reed, "This is my backyard, this is a city we walked on just last week to play a game we love to play. This is real. Football is something we get to do, basketball, baseball. We're reaching out to other athletes."

Reed and the Ravens were in New Orleans to play the Saints at the Superdome just days before Katrina struck.

Reed's high school jersey was retired at St. Rose, La., in suburban New Orleans a week ago.

"It hurts us to talk about it," Reed said. "We know how bad it is in New Orleans, Alabama and Mississippi. These families don't have things to eat. Me being from down there, I know it's a lot worse than what we see on television. ... People see dead bodies around. It's horrific."

Reed, last season's NFL Defensive Player of the Year, has established a Web site, www.reedhurricanerelief.com, for people to donate funds to the American Red Cross.

The Ravens organization, which plans to donate $25,000 in addition to the players' efforts, will collect donations for victims of Hurricane Katrina on Sept. 11 when the team opens the season against the Indianapolis Colts.

Reed and Ricard said they have been in contact with family members, but not all of them.

"It hurts your heart to see New Orleans, the place where I'm from, looking like a Third World country," Ricard said.

In other Katrina developments:

? The New Orleans Saints, driven from the Superdome by the hurricane, will play their home opener against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium. It is not clear, however, when the game will be played.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Friday the game, scheduled for Sept. 18, is being moved to the Giants' home in East Rutherford, N.J.

okay, in no way am i taking away what deion sanders is trying to accomplish and there should be great gratitude towards him for that. but we're talking about guys that make millions and millions of dollars. 1K per person, isn't all that much...

think about it, bush just signed a 10.5 billion dollar bill for relief...and they can do 1.5 mil?

yao just signed a 100million dollar contract, and they're asking for 1 thousand dollars? i would challange athletes to give 2% of their annual earnings. two percent

two percent of an athlete that earns $500,000 is $10,000. peanuts...now how many athletes earn more than $500,000...

what he's doing is great, but i think it can be taken much further, after all, they get paid to play a game.

Don't criticise donations. Regardless of the percentage given, $1000 could very well save some lives.

927641[/snapback]

criticising no, i think it should be appreciated but with guys that make as much money as they do, i think its a little small.

927654[/snapback]

How much have you donated?

Don't criticise donations. Regardless of the percentage given, $1000 could very well save some lives.

927641[/snapback]

criticising no, i think it should be appreciated but with guys that make as much money as they do, i think its a little small.

927654[/snapback]

927705[/snapback]

Usually people who put down other donations as small donated nothing themselves

Deion saw how fans reacted to Warrick Dunn and Deion wanted some of that spotlight shining on him.

It's times like this when charities are really hurting, and i'm not talking about the Red Cross or Salvation Army. Anytime there is a huge disaster or something of this nature, everyone donates to that one particular cause and pretty much every other great charity out there gets neglected for at least a few months and really suffers. The money to help these people in New Orleans is there, but the resources aren't and no amount of money is going to change that.

If you have the means to donate money, then donate to a charity which desperately needs it and could really use every penny, like Make a Wish foundation or something along those lines. It's these great charities that everyone is going to forget about for months on end and it's not right at all.

That's 1.5 million more than they'd have otherwise. I don't see how that's bad at all.

How about you donate 2% of your income this year to some guy you don't know from a state you don't live in.

927641[/snapback]

927654[/snapback]

927705[/snapback]

No response. I guess we all know how much he donated.

927641[/snapback]

927654[/snapback]

927705[/snapback]

No response. I guess we all know how much he donated.

928741[/snapback]

alright if i din't have -$270.00 in my bank account right now i sure as hell would have already donated, and i still plan on it as well as raising some money with my girlfriend at my old highschool. some of you are absolutely so

you manage to manipulate a topic to change it from a discussion point to trying to throw something in someones face. ridiculous