Cooking Recipes from a Master Chef

Master Chef Julia Child

Hello everyone, I'm Julia Child. You might know me from my cooking show, "Julia Child: Lessons with Master Chefs". Over the years I have cooked with many master chefs. But ofcourse some of them have stood out in my mind. Beginning today I will post my favorite recipes here on MarlinsBaseball.com. These recipes will turn even the most amateur cookers into master chefs.

This week's recipe is casserole roasted chicken with garlic, lemon and watercress salad. This recipe is from the episode in which Jeremiah Tower had a guest appearance.

Jeremiah Tower

He is truely one of the best we've ever had on the show.

Ingredients for 6 Servings:

For the Chicken:

A 5 1/2 to 6-pound roaster chicken

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup olive oil

5 large heads of garlic, separated into cloves, unpeeled

3 sprigs fresh rosemary

4 lemons, halved crosswise

For the Salad:

1/4 cup very fresh-tasting walnut oil

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

12 bunches watercress

Special Equipment Suggested:

A covered casserole or roaster just large enough to hold the chicken comfortably

A bulb baster

A pastry brush

An oven-proof serving platter

Timing: Count on a good 2 hours in all - 1 hour for covered roasting, 1/2 hour for browning, and a 30-minute rest before carving.

Preparing the Chicken:

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Place all ingredients and equipment beside your main work area on a large tray or newspapers, and plan to dispose of and/or wash everything (including your hands) thoroughly with soap and hot water when you are through.

Remove the packet of giblets in the cavity, and reserve for something else. Remove any visible clumps of fat from inside the cavity, wash and dry them in paper towels, and set aside. Wash the chicken both inside and out under cold running water; dry thoroughly with paper towels.

Salt and pepper the cavity lightly, pour in a spoonful of olive oil, and stuff in a handful of garlic and rosemary. Squeeze in the juice of a lemon, and add the lemon halves. Truss the chicken, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and set it breast up in the casserole. Flatten the reserved pieces of chicken fat with your fist and lay them over the breast. Smash the rest of the garlic cloves with the flat of your big knife and lay them also over the chicken along with the remaining rosemary. Squeeze on the rest of the lemons, tossing the squeezed halves into the casserole.

Ahead-of-Time Note: The chicken is now ready for the oven, and may be prepared to this point two hours ahead.

Roasting the Chicken - 1 1/2 hours:

Set the covered casserole in the lower third of the pre-heated oven. Basting is really not necessary, but a quick peek now and then is useful just to see how things are going. You may also desire a quick basting with the accumulated juices, using a bulb baster.

After an hour, remove the cover and turn the thermostat up to 400 F. Continue roasting and letting the chicken brown.

When Is It Done? The thighs will be fairly tender when pressed; the drumsticks will move up and down in their sockets fairly well. When the bird is lifted, the last juices to fall from the vent end will be clear yellow with no trace of rose.

Remove the chicken to the serving platter, cut off the trussing strings, and return the chicken to the turned-off oven, leaving the door ajar.

Preparing the Sauce and Serving the Roasted Chicken and Salad: Drain the juices from the casserole through a sieve. Using a ladle, push the garlic to extract juice from it as well. Skim the fat off the surface in the remaining juices of the strained liquid. Whisk in the walnut oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the watercress into the sauce to coat well. Place the seasoned watercress around the chicken and drizzle with any remaining sauce.

Bon appetit.

I have a recipe for you as well.

Ingredients:

:spam

949705[/snapback]

I don't know why you would want the ingredients for spam but I do reccomend a nice recipe for spam cupcakes.

SPAM Cupcakes

For cupcakes:

2 (12-ounce) cans of SPAM

3 eggs, slightly beaten

2/3 cup quick cooking oatmeal

3/4 cup milk

For glaze:

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1 tablespoon water

4 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes

Cooking Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. For cupcakes, grate SPAM into a large bowl. Add eggs, oatmeal and milk; mix well. Lightly spray a regular size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each muffin tin two-thirds full with SPAM mixture. For glaze, combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Heat 20-30 seconds in microwave until sugar is melted. Lightly spoon glaze mixture over SPAM. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is set. Meanwhile, prepare 4 cups of instant mashed potatoes. Remove cupcakes from oven and top each serving with instant potatoes. Heat broiler. Return muffin tin to oven. Heat 1-2 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned. If desired, garnish with fresh chives or parsley. Makes 12 servings.

I have a recipe for you as well.

Ingredients:

:spam

949705[/snapback]

I don't know why you would want the ingredients for spam but I do reccomend a nice recipe for spam cupcakes.

SPAM Cupcakes

For cupcakes:

2 (12-ounce) cans of SPAM

3 eggs, slightly beaten

2/3 cup quick cooking oatmeal

3/4 cup milk

For glaze:

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

2 tablespoons white vinegar

1 tablespoon water

4 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes

Cooking Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. For cupcakes, grate SPAM into a large bowl. Add eggs, oatmeal and milk; mix well. Lightly spray a regular size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each muffin tin two-thirds full with SPAM mixture. For glaze, combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Heat 20-30 seconds in microwave until sugar is melted. Lightly spoon glaze mixture over SPAM. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is set. Meanwhile, prepare 4 cups of instant mashed potatoes. Remove cupcakes from oven and top each serving with instant potatoes. Heat broiler. Return muffin tin to oven. Heat 1-2 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned. If desired, garnish with fresh chives or parsley. Makes 12 servings.

949710[/snapback]

*dies*