Spider-Man 3 Villains Revealed?

During an interview this weekend promoting Elizabethtown, Kirsten Dunst confirmed rumors to Zap2it that Thomas Haden Church will play Sandman and Topher Grace is Venom in director Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 3, opening in theaters on May 4, 2007.

"We have really great people though as the villains in this film, Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace -- Venom and Sandman," said Dunst, who plays Mary Jane Watson in the Spidey films.

"Maybe I wasn't supposed to say that," she added before reversing her claim. "It's the other way around. You're right," she conceded to a journalist.

Dunst has yet to receive a script for the third film that will begin shooting in January. "But I know the general story. There's a lot that they're trying to fit into this one."

If this turns out to be true, this movie will be great. I have wanted them to put Venom in one of the films since Day One. So let's hope she's right. :thumbup

Thomas Hayden Church is one of the most underrated actors going today. I loved him in Wings and even more in Sideways.

But Topher Grace will play arguably the most bad ass spiderman villian? Topher freaking Grace? If they make a scared puppy villian, he nails the job...but my god not Venom.

Spiderman continues to fall on the comic book movie ladder behind the new Batman franchise, X-Men franchise, and the soon to be released Superman movie. It does however beat out the atrocity that was Fantastic 4.

Tpher Grace? The skinny dude from That Seventies Show, right?

Playing Eddie Brock AKA Venom? Weak. Unless he put on 200 lbs' of muscle I don't buy it. Venom has to be this bulked up version of Spider-Man. He can't be another skinny guy.

But, with CGI and bodysuits, these days, who knows?

What I've heard is that Topher Grace AND Hayden Church play Sandman. I just don't see Foreman as Venom and Venom doesn't fit anywhere into the story arc. Brock has received nothing more than a quick reference and symbiote hasn't been mentioned at all. The only way this would work is if John Jameson somehow had the symbiote from the moon and even then, that doesn't follow the comic and will have comic book nerds errrr graphic novel enthusiasts pissed off. I'm willing to bet the villains will be Green Goblin II and Sandman.

What I've heard is that Topher Grace AND Hayden Church play Sandman. I just don't see Foreman as Venom and Venom doesn't fit anywhere into the story arc. Brock has received nothing more than a quick reference and symbiote hasn't been mentioned at all. The only way this would work is if John Jameson somehow had the symbiote from the moon and even then, that doesn't follow the comic and will have comic book nerds errrr graphic novel enthusiasts pissed off. I'm willing to bet the villains will be Green Goblin II and Sandman.

That's what I had read too.

There's no way they are going to have 3 villians in this movie. Would be far to much and make the movie a clusterf***. Green Goblin II and Sandman would be plenty although Venom is badass.

Dolph Lundren would be a good venom, since Eddie Brock was huge in the first place. Or Triple H as Venom(think of the dual audience that'd bring in: comic book nerds and wrestling nerds).

Oh and to the guy who wanted Venoms backstory, Spiderman's costume was destroyed in the Secret Wars and he used a fabric that was actually the alien symboite to fashion him a new one. He wore it for a while, until it's affects on him were too much and he rejected it. Eddie Brock, who had a vendetta against SM as well came into contact and merged with it to become Venom. In essence, he was a hero, but brutal. Well, he was a hero to everyone besides Peter Parker. They eventually formed a truce.

Sandman I'm not so sure of, but somehow his body merged with sand on a molecular level and he was one of the earlier SM bad guys...although he is a good guy now.

Don't hold your breath on Venom. There was supposed to be a scene in Spiderman 2 where John Jameson went to space and the symbiote attatched itself to the ship, setting up the Venom arc, but it was cut.

There's way too much stuff to do with Venom (Spidey gets the costume, rejects it, Spiderman ruins Eddie Brock, Brock finds costume, etc.) to set him up as the absolute badass he is, it's impossible to do in one movie adequately.

• 1 month later...