Looking for modern music

Guest Juanky

Listen to some samples here through Amazon

I was never a fan of Coheed and Cambria, but my friend a couple of months ago became obsessed with them and basically forced me to listen to some of their pre-release tracks leading up to this album. I have to say, they were pretty damn solid even for my "there hasn't been anything good released after 2000" self. When the CD was released he gave me a copy, and it's easily the best album I've heard that's been released in the past few years. It takes a listen or two to get used to (if only because Claudio's voice is way out there and his lyrics aren't something you're used to if you listen to modern music) but it's very impressive. Besides having the cool concept that it follows a story that unfolds over the course of four CDs, it also incorporates plenty of throwback trademarks in music (you can spot some Police, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, Metallica, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd influences throughout different portions of the album). I really suggest anyone who gets the chance to give it a couple of listens, you won't be disappointed at all.

Mars Volta is really good as well, though I don't really catch the connection between the two's sound. As far as being creative and out there I definitely agree with you, but you got me on the sound.

Maybe they aren't that similar in sound. I really haven't listened to either for quite some time. I guess I relate the two because they both do very experimental work with their albums, telling narratives throughout all their songs. And they both have high-pitched singers.

I'll have to download some songs once I get home and check em out...

My old roomate a few months ago mentioned this band called Avenged Sevenfold (maybe now you might have heard some on 93.1, i think they were in Ft. Lauderdale this past Monday but I couldn't go) that is pretty good I think.

Heh, I first became familiar with Avenged Sevenfold because of a song they did for Madden. Never gotten around to actually listening to a good chunk of their songs, though.

I'm getting sick of 93.1, they are starting to be the same old garbage over and over with a bit of random sprayed in.

Well, if you can definitely check out the four Willing Wells. Other than that, it really depends on your interest. If you have a torrent problem I'd just recommend downloading the whole CD and listening to it in unison.

The Willing Wells:

Willing Well I- Fuel For The Feeding End

Willing Well II- From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

Willing Well III- Apollo II: The Telling Truth

Willing Well IV- The Final Cut

These are probably the ones that classic rock and metal fans will like the most. Look for some Led Zep in WWI, a little U2 feel in WWII, and for WWIV to ooze out Pink Floyd (just look at the title). You'll think David Gilmour was doing the second solo of The Final Cut. But my best advice is just to listen to the entire album in unison, it's one continuous story anyways.

Wow, much better then their earlier stuff that I really hated.

The Willing Wells are all great, I am a fan of long sprawling good rock songs, so those all tickled my fancy.

Welcome Home is a really nice song, I assume it is their single?

Thanks for the reccomendation Juanky.

Wow, much better then their earlier stuff that I really hated.

The Willing Wells are all great, I am a fan of long sprawling good rock songs, so those all tickled my fancy.

Welcome Home is a really nice song, I assume it is their single?

Thanks for the reccomendation Juanky.

Yeah, Welcome Home was the first single released. I think The Suffering was second.

that dood needs balls ... castrato anyone?

hmmm music in sweden is better

the hives

refused

the sounds

the soundtrack of our lives

sahara hotnights

acid house kings

the kills

the international noise conspiracy

sweden = heaven

bye

and coheed and cambodia is not my cup of tea

Haha, I thought I was going to Sawgrass Mills on Tuesday. :lol

Anyways, I got the CD at Coral Square this morning and there's some good songs, some meh ones, but plently of goodness. I couldn't listen to my iPod for most of the week though. I hate the Flintstones. :thumbdown