Marlins Notes

PBMarlin

From the sounds of the below the Marlins are trying to dump Lowell, Delgado and Pierre. If that happens the team is really in a firesale mode. :mad

Pierre being shopped: Delgado and third baseman Mike Lowell are not the only Marlins being shopped by the front office. Center fielder Juan Pierre is being dangled as a third starting player the Marlins are willing to unload.

"They are pushing those three names hard. They want to get something done," said an American League source with knowledge of Florida's off-season strategies.

Pierre is entering his final year of arbitration after making $3.4 million in 2005, the final year of a four-year, $7.5 million contract.

He batted.276 with 181 hits in 2005, the first year since 2002 that he hit below.300 with fewer than 200 hits. He stole 57 bases, his second-highest total, but the Marlins might be worried about over-paying for a player who might be on a downslide.

The Cubs are said to have some interest in Pierre.

Wiley out?: The front office still wants Mark Wiley to return as pitching coach, but new manager Joe Girardi wants to give that job to former pitcher Jimmy Key.

Wiley rejected offers from the Mariners and the Royals because he preferred to stay close to his family in Boca Raton and the Marlins indicated to him that he would return.

Key, a four-time All-Star who retired in 1998, played with Girardi and the 1996 New York Yankees.

Sounds to me like they'll probably move two out of the three. Very doubtful they can move all three. My hope is that they move Lowell and Pierre and keep Delgado. I really don't think the team will be any worse off without those two. If they move all three, then I think it's clearly a rebuilding year. A lot like 2002 when the FO moved Johnson and Wilson.

Sounds to me like they'll probably move two out of the three. Very doubtful they can move all three. My hope is that they move Lowell and Pierre and keep Delgado. I really don't think the team will be any worse off without those two. If they move all three, then I think it's clearly a rebuilding year. A lot like 2002 when the FO moved Johnson and Wilson.

and floyd and dempster

I don't mind rebuilding. This team looked good on paper but did nothing. Let's start over.

No fault of Delgado's. He did everything he was supposed to do. I'd hate to see Lowell and Pierre go, but I can see some logic (aside from money) there. Plus, I really think if Delgado is traded, no high priced free agent will ever sign with the Marlins until there is new ownership. These guys will be marked as guys who cannot be trusted.

I don't mind rebuilding. This team looked good on paper but did nothing. Let's start over.

That's my attitude completely. :thumbup

As long as the commitment is there to have a better team in '07, '08, I'm all in favor of a rebuilding project. Bring in stopgaps at 2B, SS, put the net $12-15 million saving over two years into contracts to the three or four key guys, keep enough core players to keep us competitive in the interim, and move forward.

Guest Moneyball

If they trade Delgado I will never trust Loria, Samson, Beinfest and Co.

If there is a firesale it leads me to believe they are on there way out of South Florida. This market will not handle another firesale. They know it.

With that more broken promises.

Trading Delgado is not neccesarily bad for the team. If they trade him, or JP, or Lowell, it is for the good of the team. You trade for young, major league ready, inexpensive, talented and hungry players.

They won the WS with a tiny payroll. Trimming payroll is not a sign of giving up. It must be done in a market such as this.

Guest Moneyball

Trading Delgado is not neccesarily bad for the team. If they trade him, or JP, or Lowell, it is for the good of the team. You trade for young, major league ready, inexpensive, talented and hungry players.

They won the WS with a tiny payroll. Trimming payroll is not a sign of giving up. It must be done in a market such as this.

You don't trade a guy like Delgado and get better.

This move will hurt the team off and on the field. All the improvements ( although not as much as we'd like) in attendance and the credibility of the team will be flushed down the toilet.

This move will hurt the team off and on the field. All the improvements ( although not as much as we'd like) in attendance and the credibility of the team will be flushed down the toilet.

I disagree... first, you will probably get 2-3 players for him in a trade. And second, the payroll you free up will allow you to sign a one or two free agents...

Simply having Delgado doesn't make this team good, as last year showed... Getting quality help to make the overall team better makes this team good... as long as Beinfest pulls the right triggers and makes the right decisions, which I am confident he will, then they should do it.

Guest Moneyball

I disagree... first, you will probably get 2-3 players for him in a trade. And second, the payroll you free up will allow you to sign a one or two free agents...

Simply having Delgado doesn't make this team good, as last year showed... Getting quality help to make the overall team better makes this team good... as long as Beinfest pulls the right triggers and makes the right decisions, which I am confident he will, then they should do it.

I'm not very confident Beinfest will pull the right trigger.

Murton plays left field, right? Based on the numbers he put up last season, I think he's MLB ready right now. Perhaps we can trade Willingham along with Lowell and another good prospect to an American League team for some payroll relief and a couple of prospects or a couple of relievers. So, Murton in LF, Patterson in CF, and Hermida in RF. Me likes.