Jayson Stark Marlins notes

wanks1212

There are mixed opinions on whether the Marlins are really going to move Carlos Delgado. But Juan Pierre might be a different story. "I think he's gone," says an official of one AL club. With the Marlins' stadium picture looking worse and worse, "they have to make moves [to trade some big names], just to show those people in Florida they're a step away from leaving," says one prominent baseball man. "I think, in the end, Delgado, [Miguel] Cabrera, Dontrelle [Willis] and [Josh] Beckett will stay. Almost anyone else could be gone."

The Marlins were hoping to let Alex Gonzalez walk and replace him with their most advanced shortstop prospect, Robert Andino. But scouts who have watched Andino in the Arizona Fall League say the most eye-popping thing he's done in Arizona is show just about zero effort: "He's been dogging it the whole time he's been out there," says one scout. "[Assistant GM] Dan Jennings had to go in there and chew his butt out. Then he played hard while Jenning was there. But as soon as he left, he went right back to dogging it. I'd doubt seriously they'd go in his direction after that exhibition."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/col...d=2220664&num=0

Like I said, Alex was the same way in his rookie year. Do you recall him not running out a grounder, and Torborg (or whoever was coach) getting all up in his grill?

I believe he was benched for a few games, actually.

He's just a kid--needs some discipline. We can do it!

If D train, Delgado, Backett and Cabrera are the only certainties, I'm cool with that. If these moves are necessary to make people agree to give money for the stadium, I'm all for it.

Guest Moneyball

That's the stupidiest theory I've ever heard from a so-called prominent baseball man.

If you are talkin about the trading away players to scare people, I agree. The fanbase would have soiled many many many pairs of clean underwear by now.

That's the stupidiest theory I've ever heard from a so-called prominent baseball man.

That's not the first time we've heard about Andino's motivation, has it?

You can be sure all this talk of shopping Delgado and nearly every other starter on the team is having a negative impact on season ticket sales. It's a good thing the sales office pushed real hard to get all of last years season ticket holders to renew before they made clear their off-season strategy.

f*** trading JP.

You're on record as stating you'd rather watching a losing team with Pierre than a winning team without him. The suggestion he might be benched for reasons other than injury drove you up the wall.

Or in the alternative, you could watch a winning team with him and a losing team without him, that is unless MLB allows Castillo to use a Segway to get around the bases.

That is only if you accept Pierre is a franchise player, which you do, I don't and Madman81 doesn't care as long as he gets to watch JP play as he didn't even become a Marlin fan until JP was traded here.

Actually, if you read my previous thoughts on Pierre, I would like to see the Fish sign Pierre to a three year contract in the range of, but below, $15,000,000.

That said, while I think his on base abilities (stealing bases, scoring runs) will really be needed this year ('06), I am not adverse to trading him before or during the '07 season or similarly before or during the '08 season. I love Castillo but I am convinced he can't be counted on for 700 PAs next season, and sadly, that's why I've come to the conclusion I have.

f*** trading JP.

The day that happens I will be extremely sad :( Pierre is IMO a franchise player, he just happened to have a bad season for his standards this year, and now most people want to trade him. I really don't get it. If it was only because of the money issues, but it seems as if some people around here do not really appreciate him anymore. So sad.

f*** trading JP.

You're on record as stating you'd rather watching a losing team with Pierre than a winning team without him. The suggestion he might be benched for reasons other than injury drove you up the wall.

Or in the alternative, you could watch a winning team with him and a losing team without him, that is unless MLB allows Castillo to use a Segway to get around the bases.

'03, trust me I have many reservations about Castillo & his health, but the guy still draws walks and almost ALWAYS hits well. Even if his stolen bases keep dropping off, he's a positive to the offense.

A key reason why his stolen bases totals have declined is simply that he's not been put in a different role.

Pure, unadulterated BS.

It's purely a matter of his quickness having evaporated. He bats from the left side, to his detriment and the team's, because he admits it makes up for his lost speed. That's why you so seldom see him bunting when he bats righty. And you do realize he was thrown out 7 of 17 times attempting to steal?

Here's a guy who last year hit an unbelievable .420 from the right side in '05 and he's still feels the need to bat lefty to get him down the line quicker. I'd love to see him get 400 ABs from righty in '06 and see what he can do.