Rumor: MLB to freeze team sales for a period

CapeFish

The sale process for the Washington Nationals seems to have been compounded by the possiblity that 2 other Major League franchises may be up for sale. In order to clear up the situation, I have gotten the sense that Major League Baseball has stopped the sale of the Washington Nationals. No word what will happen with the Nationals for the next 2 months, but buyers are waiting. The 2 other teams were not named but I think one could be the Marlins. The Marlins took a big financial hit, as did most of South Florida, after Wilma. No word if Loria is interested in selling, but there are buyers ready and willing. Interest in a Marlins sale may come to a strong push in 2007.

I hope this is true. Loria as owner will hurt us more as time passes.

Ignorance is bliss. Jeffrey Loria has done more for the franchise than any previous owner and more than likely any future owner that keeps the team in Florida. He put money into the team, he put out a winning product every season he has been the owner. Open your eyes child and realize that no owner can make it work in Florida without a new stadium and the inherit revenue it brings. Be thankful for what he has tried to do and what he has done instead of badmouthing what should be his legacy when he does give up on the franchise in Florida eventually whether that be by selling it or by moving it to a place where the team can flourish in the way he has dedicated himself to have it be.

Without Jeffrey Loria, the Marlins would still be bottom feeders, we wouldn't have won the WS in 2003 much less made the playoffs, we wouldn't have Delgado right now, the list goes on.

Just because another owner may have more money, does not mean that they would be a good owner.

Guest Moneyball

I'm not damaging his 'legacy'. I'm just saying the obvious. Loria doesn't have the dough to get a stadium built here or anywhere. If he doesn't have the dough he should sell. The longer he waits the more it hurts us with the quality of the product on the field. I'm willing to take my chances on a new owner who is loaded enough to keep this team in Miami.

Loria has been a great owner. But it's time for him to leave.

I'm loyal to the Marlins, not the owners.

I don't believe this rumor is true. MLB has a lucrative stadium deal in hand from DC (that DC is trying to weasel minor concessions from, but that's beside the point. DC has no leverage) AND a large sale price. They wouldn't jeopardize either as it sets a precedent for all future team transactions - including these two rumored clubs. Finalizing the sale of the Reds, I could see, but delaying for two years while a search is commisioned to find an owner of the Marlins and/or another franchise? No. Also I do not see Loria selling the franchise without getting one in return. He's not losing gobs of money really, just severe operating losses and weakened credit. He doesn't have the collateral to "move up" (there is no down, now that the Expos are in DC, every other team has favorable lease terms or plays in a better or equal market). This rumor, or idea as I suspect it might be, makes no sense.

I don't believe this rumor is true. MLB has a lucrative stadium deal in hand from DC (that DC is trying to weasel minor concessions from, but that's beside the point. DC has no leverage) AND a large sale price. They wouldn't jeopardize either as it sets a precedent for all future team transactions - including these two rumored clubs. Finalizing the sale of the Reds, I could see, but delaying for two years while a search is commisioned to find an owner of the Marlins and/or another franchise? No. Also I do not see Loria selling the franchise without getting one in return. He's not losing gobs of money really, just severe operating losses and weakened credit. He doesn't have the collateral to "move up" (there is no down, now that the Expos are in DC, every other team has favorable lease terms or plays in a better or equal market). This rumor, or idea as I suspect it might be, makes no sense.

The freeze isn't for two years. Maybe 2 months in the DC club's case. The freeze for the other teams is until a deal is struck for the Nats. However as a negotiating ploy, the DC club's sale has no timeline.

Ignorance is bliss. Jeffrey Loria has done more for the franchise than any previous owner and more than likely any future owner that keeps the team in Florida. He put money into the team, he put out a winning product every season he has been the owner. Open your eyes child and realize that no owner can make it work in Florida without a new stadium and the inherit revenue it brings. Be thankful for what he has tried to do and what he has done instead of badmouthing what should be his legacy when he does give up on the franchise in Florida eventually whether that be by selling it or by moving it to a place where the team can flourish in the way he has dedicated himself to have it be.

THIS IS A STRONG POST!! You are totally right!! I dont understand why people are jumping on Loria's back for? This guy has done nothing but good for the marlins! What are you mad that he wants to cut payroll? His has been the most honest owner yet... I mean Henry was like "I dont have enough money to build a stadium" the following year he buys the red sox for 700 Million! THAT GUY IS AN ASSWHOLE and just wanted out! Loria likes to win and In my opinion is trying his hardest to not only keep a wining team on the field but to keep them in this city! Moneyball you hope its true?? This doesnt mean that Yea, there will be a rich owner coming to Miami to build us a stadium. This rumor is more like Yea, there is a BIG-TIME RICH owner waiting for the Marlins to come to Las Vegas!!

The freeze isn't for two years. Maybe 2 months in the DC club's case. The freeze for the other teams is until a deal is struck for the Nats. However as a negotiating ploy, the DC club's sale has no timeline.

OK. So the two have nothing to do with eachother. In fact most people expected this. The Nationals sale will put a lot of money into MLB's coffers to be divided up amongst the 29 other teams. The current owners - unless they're blown away by offers and desperately seeking out - will want to be there when the check comes in the mail.

I believe Pittsburgh is for sale, Oakland may move with or without it's present ownership, The Reds and D'Rays just changed hands, the Twins certainly would like a new own.

I don't think the Marlins are one of the teams perceived to be for sale. Quite the opposite.

Mark Cuban was interested in the Pirates, but the Pirates have stated they are not for sale.

Oakland was sold before the 2005 season to Wolff.