I've had enough.

GM

It's really simple. We are a backwater franchise. Why? We are constantly enduring this same old sad song. Its like a sterotypical love song when you lose that long time lover and are left wallowing in mistery. This is what this franchise and especially the politiocs in South Florida put me through.

After winning the 2003 World Series, a new stadium should have been upon us. Hell even the politicos and all essentially promised said stadium. But where is it? Its all a bunch of excuses constantly. And you know what? Said stadium is never arriving. If 2003 didnt get it here, nothing ever will. Let's face facts here people.

Now we are faced with the prospect of trading away our stars. People try to spin this off as a way for this team to get younger and better. I dont buy it. You 'might' get away with trading Delgado, but even still you are losing major production in the middle of your lineup. His signing last year was a last ditch desperation heave to try to get that stadium pushed through. He is gone and with him goes the viability of the Florida Marlins in Florida. So we are done as a baseball franchise in Florida.

A new owner as some are calling for solves nothing. The good Lord himself couldnt save this franchise in South Florida and now that we have come to understand that, its time to prepare for a future in another town, a town that will appreciate this franchise and give them the full support they deserve. What city? I'll leave that for others to debate. I will say this though, I'd love for this team to find its way to Brooklyn. This franchise would draw 3 million fans easily, will get a new stadium and will thrive. Guaranteed. But that won't ever happen sadly, even though its by far the best solution.

And to those saying let's trade Paul Loduca, what do you propose? We have no other real catcher in the organization. Willingham needs to be DH'ing, definitely not catching. Jorgenson cant hit. And who knows what else we have down in the minors, it surely isnt close to ready. No other decent catcher will be had for a cheap price which is what this franchise would want.

So there you have it. Flame away.

Guest Moneyball

These weekly OMG THE FRANCHISE IS LEAVING, FACE IT threads are getting old.

Says the person who had RIP Florida Marlins in his signature recently. One would say you promoted the idea more than any other

Yeah I did BUT I wasn't the founder of the 'movement'.

Meh.

Gloom and doom are much easier to spin than unsubstantiated positives. We've been in this position every offseason under since the 2002 season ended, and since then, we've had 3 consecutive winning seasons. We'll be fine, sky's been rumored to be falling since October of '02, and since then we've only enjoyed the greatest 3 year span in the team's history.

I love this team as much as anyone else, but there's no sense getting all worked up and stressed out about something out of our control. Whatever happens, happens.

Just have to hope that the front office makes smart decisions and fields a competitive team: whether if it's a team of veterans or a team of inexpensive young talent.

Call me a troll all you would like, I really dont care. Bottom line is that just becuase I dont post here often doesnt make me lesser of a Marlin fan. Hell I have been a member here since 2002, long before many of you wandered over here. I love when people call other's fandom into question, look if you dont want to believe this, then thats fine and your decision. But if you want to look at things objectively then go right ahead. I tend to think that those mentioning these things that I have touched upon tend to more on the objective side of things as they are tending to think more with their head and not their heart. Mind you, I'm not against thinking with your heart also, no matter what Mr. Loria has done wonders for this franchise, he brought us the 2003 World Series. A man can only lose money for so long, I hope he can find a market more deserving of this organization, whereever that may be, as its obvious thats not in Florida.

PS. To those wishing me well, its great to be back, hope you have all been well.

I disagree with you on Loria , a change of ownership would be welcomed . The Marlins need an owner who has more money simple as that . The stadium didnt get built because Loria is a nickel and dimer type guy who was only 30 to 45 million away from a new stadium and couldnt come up with the money to bridge the gap. I want the Marlins to stay and I want a new stadium but it is not the job of the city of Miami or the state of Florida to subsidize a stadium for one individual especially when this state needs to invest its revenue it many other things that are more pressing problems. Get rid of Loria , Get a real owner and watch how baseball grows in South Florida !

Meh.

Gloom and doom are much easier to spin than unsubstantiated positives. We've been in this position every offseason under since the 2002 season ended, and since then, we've had 3 consecutive winning seasons. We'll be fine, sky's been rumored to be falling since October of '02, and since then we've only enjoyed the greatest 3 year span in the team's history.

with all these hurricanes I thought the sky was falling?

Perhaps just the roof.

I disagree with you on Loria , a change of ownership would be welcomed . The Marlins need an owner who has more money simple as that . The stadium didnt get built because Loria is a nickel and dimer type guy who was only 30 to 45 million away from a new stadium and couldnt come up with the money to bridge the gap. I want the Marlins to stay and I want a new stadium but it is not the job of the city of Miami or the state of Florida to subsidize a stadium for one individual especially when this state needs to invest its revenue it many other things that are more pressing problems. Get rid of Loria , Get a real owner and watch how baseball grows in South Florida !

Give me a break. Smart businessmen don't throw good money after bad. I don't care how rich a person is, he's an idiot if he spends one more thin dime chasing down a stadium in South Florida. The attendance last year was SHAMEFUL. Simple as that, shameful. For the first time in Marlins history, the team last year was supposed to win. They were STACKED. And what was the reaction of the so-called "fan-base?" 28th of 30 teams in attendance. F***ing ridiculous. The F***ing Pittsburgh Pirates, perennial doormats who haven't had a winning season in a DECADE, in a MUCH smaller metropolitan area than Miami, outdrew our sorry a$$es. Absolutely SHAMEFUL.

So continue with your delusions of a "real owner" -- and watch as the current owner continues to dump payroll until someone finally puts this franchise out of its misery and moves it to a real baseball town.

Owners don't buy baseball teams as philanthropic enterprises and throw money down the drain. Dream on. All of you. If you want a better product on the field, the fans are going to have to pay for it. Sports franchises are not a public good.

Give me a break. Smart businessmen don't throw good money after bad. I don't care how rich a person is, he's an idiot if he spends one more thin dime chasing down a stadium in South Florida. The attendance last year was SHAMEFUL. Simple as that, shameful. For the first time in Marlins history, the team last year was supposed to win. They were STACKED. And what was the reaction of the so-called "fan-base?" 28th of 30 teams in attendance. F***ing ridiculous. The F***ing Pittsburgh Pirates, perennial doormats who haven't had a winning season in a DECADE, in a MUCH smaller metropolitan area than Miami, outdrew our sorry a$$es. Absolutely SHAMEFUL.

So continue with your delusions of a "real owner" -- and watch as the current owner continues to dump payroll until someone finally puts this franchise out of its misery and moves it to a real baseball town.

An idiot would be someone who buys a baseball team yet doesnt have the funds to sustain it . Usually when you build up a business you have to spend money before you see a return on your investment, Loria knew what he was getting into with the fan base and if he really wanted baseball to work in Miami he would do what it takes financially to ensure the long term success of the franchise i.e. building the stadium. Usually a business owner would be happy with a city or state funding a substancial portion of a project that financially directly only benefits you (loria). You dont think he should invest a dime but you feel the city which truth be told isnt going to benefit all that much from new stadium should pay for Loria's stadium? To your point about the attendance , yeah it sucks it has slowly been improving but still sucks the one flaw i find with your argument is the fact they were supposed to win and attendance should jump because of that ....they were supposed to win BUT didnt they were basically a 500 team after May they really didnt play well for most of the season

Owners don't buy baseball teams as philanthropic enterprises and throw money down the drain. Dream on. All of you. If you want a better product on the field, the fans are going to have to pay for it. Sports franchises are not a public good.

I agree, if we want a better product we have to pay for it , just like if Loria wants a better stadium he should pay for it . The city ok's him around 200 million bucks , seems like they are certainly benefitting from a philanthropic enterprise ...you and I the taxpayer , and the guy is b?tching and moaning for more . Take the crow bar and open your wallet a bit more Loria !!!

An idiot would be someone who buys a baseball team yet doesnt have the funds to sustain it . Usually when you build up a business you have to spend money before you see a return on your investment, Loria knew what he was getting into with the fan base and if he really wanted baseball to work in Miami he would do what it takes financially to ensure the long term success of the franchise i.e. building the stadium. Usually a business owner would be happy with a city or state funding a substancial portion of a project that financially directly only benefits you (loria). You dont think he should invest a dime but you feel the city which truth be told isnt going to benefit all that much from new stadium should pay for Loria's stadium? To your point about the attendance , yeah it sucks it has slowly been improving but still sucks the one flaw i find with your argument is the fact they were supposed to win and attendance should jump because of that ....they were supposed to win BUT didnt they were basically a 500 team after May they really didnt play well for most of the season

I agree, if we want a better product we have to pay for it , just like if Loria wants a better stadium he should pay for it . The city ok's him around 350 million bucks , seems like they are certainly benefitting from a philanthropic enterprise ...you and I the taxpayer , and the guy is b?tching and moaning for more . Take the crow bar and open your wallet a bit more Loria !!!

Are you really complaining that Loria is "only" putting up a couple HUNDRED MILLION for this stadium? Unbelieveable.

I agree, if we want a better product we have to pay for it , just like if Loria wants a better stadium he should pay for it . The city ok's him around 200 million bucks , seems like they are certainly benefitting from a philanthropic enterprise ...you and I the taxpayer , and the guy is b?tching and moaning for more . Take the crow bar and open your wallet a bit more Loria !!!

Are you really complaining that Loria is "only" putting up a couple HUNDRED MILLION for this stadium? Unbelieveable.

Dude your unbelievable , are you complaining that Loria , who is the owner of the Marlins , which last time i checked is not a state or city run business is entitled to 200 million tax dollars for his private business? The city should pay 350-400 million bucks for a stadium while the roads and schools in miami crumble . A 200 million dollar contribution i think is enough . Let Loria pay for his stadium

Dude your unbelievable , are you complaining that Loria , who is the owner of the Marlins , which last time i checked is not a state or city run business is entitled to 200 million tax dollars for his private business? The city should pay 350-400 million bucks for a stadium while the roads and schools in miami crumble . A 200 million dollar contribution i think is enough . Let Loria pay for his stadium

Other cities do this....and most times intelligent cities try to tie in a new stadium with a number of other improvements in and around the city and many times when done correctly, a new stadium is an amazing economic boom for a city and in the long run becomes a win/win situation for all parties. Obviously some missed that course along the way.

Seriously... where have you been over the past three years to make the statement Loria hasn't made a strong investment in this club?

Don't like the stadium game? Go follow amateur baseball, oh, wait, it happens there too. This is how the game is played.

Factually wrong on a number of counts. Not disrespect meant but...

The city is only contributing in kind of about $40 million.

Most of those dollars come from taxes collected on tourists and cannot be used for purposes such schools, roads or other purposes other than what they are earmarked for, so it isn't "you and I" the taxpayer.

Lastly, Loria has been opening his wallet since the day he got here, and finally, common sense is dictating what needs to be done, rather than his overwhelming desire to win at any cost.

Other cities do this....and most times intelligent cities try to tie in a new stadium with a number of other improvements in and around the city and many times when done correctly, a new stadium is an amazing economic boom for a city and in the long run becomes a win/win situation for all parties. Obviously some missed that course along the way.

There have been several studies that have looked at the issue and they have concluded that a new sports stadium rarely has any long term benefits on the financial health of a city or state. Usually owners get a tax break or pay no taxes at all on the land. Second most of the high paying jobs are temporary and alot of time the employees are out of city or state. Third most of the jobs that remain are low wage part time jobs. If you could guarantee the stadium would have some practical use like a hurricane sheltor I could see the value to the community otherwise i dont see why the city or the state should buy Loria a stadium. If you were a business owner i doubt seriously you would expect a city or state to pony up 200 million dollars to help your business . Loria is NOT ENTITLED too one dollar of city or state money , it sucks that he cant afford to build it but it is not the cities or states problem

Guest Moneyball

There have been several studies that have looked at the issue and they have concluded that a new sports stadium rarely has any long term benefits on the financial health of a city or state. Usually owners get a tax break or pay no taxes at all on the land. Second most of the high paying jobs are temporary and alot of time the employees are out of city or state. Third most of the jobs that remain are low wage part time jobs. If you could guarantee the stadium would have some practical use like a hurricane sheltor I could see the value to the community otherwise i dont see why the city or the state should buy Loria a stadium. If you were a business owner i doubt seriously you would expect a city or state to pony up 200 million dollars to help your business . Loria is NOT ENTITLED too one dollar of city or state money , it sucks that he cant afford to build it but it is not the cities or states problem

The city is only contributing in kind of about $40 million.

Most of those dollars come from taxes collected on tourists and cannot be used for purposes such schools, roads or other purposes other than what they are earmarked for, so it isn't "you and I" the taxpayer.

Lastly, Loria has been opening his wallet since the day he got here, and finally, common sense is dictating what needs to be done, rather than his overwhelming desire to win at any cost.

:rolleyes:

It's either a new ballroom for the Miami Beach Convention Center, or a new stadium.