The "Loria Needs To Sell" Thread

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

First off, whatever happens this offseason concerning the players this team decides to trade and acquire will not change my opinion on this subject. Jeffrey Loria in his time here as Marlins owner has done a terriffic job year in and year out shelling out the money to field a competitive product. He shelled out the cash for Pudge and took a gamble that this team could make the playoffs in 2003. We all know how that payed off. In the offseason that followed he and his group proceeded to begin negotiations on a new stadium at the Orange Bowl site. He put 192M of his own money into the project. For the 2004 season he put a team on the field that was in the playoff race until late August, in that same time he lost an estimated 20 million dollars. Then came January 2005 and he shocked the baseball world by dropping a 50+ million dollars on free agent Carlos Delgado, payroll was also bumped up to it's highest level in history. This he hoped would garner support in the state legislature for a bill that would bridge the 30 million dollar funding gap. As we all know, this failed.

Ten months after signing Delgado the teams financial future is bleek. The stadium deal is dead. The 30 million dollar gap is 100 million.

Loria took a gamble with the legislature and lost. It is apparent that he doesn't have the funds to get this stadium deal done, which in the end is most important. So it comes to this, I cannot give him a free pass. There is no way I can ever express my gratitude for what he has done. Yet I will never forgive him if he continues to hold down this franchise for his unwillingness to sell the team. It's time for an owner that has the $$$ to get things done. Two potential owners that pop into my head are Mikey Arison and Frank Codina. Both live in South Florida and have shown interest in the Marlins before.

The needs of the franchise have outgrown his pocketbook and it's time for him and the franchise to move on.

*awaits 1.456 "Shut up, the team is moving" posts*

Well, I'd like to see if someone out there wants the team, but...well, I don't think anyone does. Three owners have tried and failed to get a stadium here, the team is likely gone.

I didn't want to believe it, and really I still don't, but I don't see any reason to believe that the Marlins will be here. I'm not going to be overly dramatic and state this as fact, but Loria's sure setting his ducks in a row to play a game of chicken with MLB to simply force relocation.

they aren't moving... there's nowhere for them to move to

Las Vegas

Raleigh or Charlotte (Braves country)

Norfolk/Virginia Beach area (doubtful with Washington)

Montreal (if they built a stadium, the Canadian dollar is doing well)

Portland, OR

This team would do better as a third team in New York than in Florida w/o a stadium. And while a lot of you might have to start liking the Devil Rays or something, I could care less where the franchise plays - I haven't seen the Marlins in home whites since 1996.

Las Vegas

Portland, OR

This team would do better as a third team in New York than in Florida w/o a stadium. And while a lot of you might have to start liking the Devil Rays or something, I could care less where the franchise plays - I haven't seen the Marlins in home whites since 1996.

there are no ML-ready stadiums in any of those cities

No MLB team is moving back to Montreal. I can guarantee that. There isn't enough fan base in places like Portland and Northern Virginia to support a team.

Las Vegas is the most likely place for relocation, but I'm not sure that MLB will allow any teams to move there, since it is the gambling capital of the world. There's a reason why no other professional teams play there people.

First off, whatever happens this offseason concerning the players this team decides to trade and acquire will not change my opinion on this subject. Jeffrey Loria in his time here as Marlins owner has done a terriffic job year in and year out shelling out the money to field a competitive product. He shelled out the cash for Pudge and took a gamble that this team could make the playoffs in 2003. We all know how that payed off. In the offseason that followed he and his group proceeded to begin negotiations on a new stadium at the Orange Bowl site. He put 192M of his own money into the project. For the 2004 season he put a team on the field that was in the playoff race until late August, in that same time he lost an estimated 20 million dollars. Then came January 2005 and he shocked the baseball world by dropping a 50+ million dollars on free agent Carlos Delgado, payroll was also bumped up to it's highest level in history. This he hoped would garner support in the state legislature for a bill that would bridge the 30 million dollar funding gap. As we all know, this failed.

Ten months after signing Delgado the teams financial future is bleek. The stadium deal is dead. The 30 million dollar gap is 100 million.

Loria took a gamble with the legislature and lost. It is apparent that he doesn't have the funds to get this stadium deal done, which in the end is most important. So it comes to this, I cannot give him a free pass. There is no way I can ever express my gratitude for what he has done. Yet I will never forgive him if he continues to hold down this franchise for his unwillingness to sell the team. It's time for an owner that has the $$$ to get things done. Two potential owners that pop into my head are Mikey Arison and Frank Codina. Both live in South Florida and have shown interest in the Marlins before.

The needs of the franchise have outgrown his pocketbook and it's time for him and the franchise to move on.

*awaits 1.456 "Shut up, the team is moving" posts*

wake me when you get a clue regarding the real world. Anyone in Loria's shoes, be them with billions or simply millions are not going to simply continue to take a loss year in and year out. This franchise deserves better and the Loria regime has given the fans every opportunity to show their support for this franchise. They have not.

Las Vegas

Portland, OR

I've been saying this since last year I believe. Brooklyn would approve a stadium last month to bring a team to the city. Of course you would have to do something about the Mets and Yankees...but if MLB truly wants to get serious about this, they will find a way to make it happen. Any of those other cities though at this poitn are more viable than the place we are at now.

Las Vegas

Portland, OR

there are no ML-ready stadiums in any of those cities

I'm sure they can work something out for a temporary solution while a stadium is completed.

No MLB team is moving back to Montreal. I can guarantee that. There isn't enough fan base in places like Portland and Northern Virginia to support a team.

Las Vegas is the most likely place for relocation, but I'm not sure that MLB will allow any teams to move there, since it is the gambling capital of the world. There's a reason why no other professional teams play there people.

Ya its mainly due to the stigma first of gambling, second of Las Vegas not being big enough. Vegas can at this point support one big time franchise. They are a big time booming metro area, they just need to do a real study to see what they can and will support more, baseball or basketball. I dont know, but I am sure one of them defintiely could succeed there easily.

And there isnt exactly enough of a fan base in South Florida to truly justify staying here.

Guest Moneyball

Das, I never said he has to continue to take losses. I said he needs to sell to someone who has the money to get a stadium deal done.

why would an owner want to pay for their own stadium?

The owner would only pay for a portion of it. The city of Miami's money could be worked into the deal.

Das, I never said he has to continue to take losses. I said he needs to sell to someone who has the money to get a stadium deal done.

why would an owner want to pay for their own stadium?

The owner would only pay for a portion of it. The city of Miami's money could be worked into the deal.

And how much do you think said owner should be willing to front? Didnt Loria offer a significant chunk at one point in time and that still was not enough?

I mean damn other than the Giants no franchise has really had to front any 'real, significatnt' cash up front for their stadium and even in the Giants case it was privately funded so they didnt really pay much themselves. I mean I guess Miami is just cheap and just want to continue to support mediocore teams that have either a) never won or b) havent won in 20 years.

Great priorities, treat your only winning franchise as red headed stepchildren. Excellent business sense in the long run.

An owner with enough money to build a stadium can make a ton of money off the stadium and off the Marlins. Think about all the events they could have during the offseason... just think of all the money that Huizenga makes. If the stadium is built in downtown Miam or the Orange Bowl, the owner can make a shiat load of money. Trust me. Not only that, but the value of the stadium itself is likely to increase for the foreseeable future. Face it, Loria just simply doesn't have the money to do well financialy in So. Florida. It's time for a new owner.

With all the hurricane damage in the last few years, I dont expect the state of FLorida to throw any money into a stadium at all... With no fan base and no stadium support, Selig is a ******* idiot if he does nothing to help or thinks that the team will survive just fine and dandy in Miami...

Sadly, this team will either move (but as some say: move to where?) or it will fold...

An owner with enough money to build a stadium can make a ton of money off the stadium and off the Marlins. Think about all the events they could have during the offseason... just think of all the money that Huizenga makes. If the stadium is built in downtown Miam or the Orange Bowl, the owner can make a shiat load of money. Trust me. Not only that, but the value of the stadium itself is likely to increase for the foreseeable future. Face it, Loria just simply doesn't have the money to do well financialy in So. Florida. It's time for a new owner.

And when Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Baltimore, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Houston, etc etc etc etc have built their teams stadiums, why the hell should our owner have to pay for ours?

Pittsburgh is a crap market and they built their team a stadium.

The Marlins have suitors ready to buy and keep them in Miami. Loria does not want to sell. Loria doesn't have the money, but Loria doesn't want to lose his place as an MLB owner. After the Nationals sale, things will get interesting.

There are people aligned with city of Miami's mayor's office who would like to steal the franchise for twenty cents on the dollar, I would hardly call them suitors.

The Marlins have suitors ready to buy and keep them in Miami. Loria does not want to sell. Loria doesn't have the money, but Loria doesn't want to lose his place as an MLB owner. After the Nationals sale, things will get interesting.

There are people aligned with city of Miami's mayor's office who would like to steal the franchise for twenty cents on the dollar, I would hardly call them suitors.

There are private buyers ready to buy the team and keep them in Miami. Nothing will happen until another game of Loria Musical Chairs is played.

There are private buyers ready to buy the team and keep them in Miami. Nothing will happen until another game of Loria Musical Chairs is played.

And who specifically would those buyers be and how in god's name do you know this with the certaintity you offer in your post?

Team ownership is not so much about having money, but having the proper leadership skills to set the right tone, hire the right people and designate authority. Seems like you have no problem with Loria's leadership skills. It's his lack of cash you are concerned about. What suggests to you that a person with deeper pockets would do as well or better of a job as Loria? What suggests to you that a person with deeper pockets would be willing to take on losses? Any one who purchases this team is viewing it as much as a business decision more than a way to have fun and reward fans.

I repeat... Major League Baseball will never let an owner into its ranks that will stab them in the back and set a new precedent of increased private funding of stadiums. They'd be rejected before they even walk into the room.

Also, does Loria seem the type to you to admit defeat and sell the team?