Info on New Marlins:Ramirez/Sanchez/Delgado/Garcia,Petit/Jacobs/Psomas

courtesy of http://www.soxprospects.com/index.htm

lists Sanchez at 3 and Ramirez as 4th best prospects in their system

Hanley Ramirez, SS

Born: December 23, 1983, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Height: 6-1 Weight: 170

Bats: Both Throws: Right

Drafted: Not drafted

How Acquired: Undrafted free agent (July 2000)

ETA: mid-2006

Scouting Report: Athletic five-tool shortstop with great instincts, above average speed, and all-star potential. Makes excellent contact. Very good range with a top-notch arm. Displays power potential, but the numbers have yet to show it. Had some disciplinary problems earlier in his career, many of which have been attributed to dealing with a great deal of hype and earlier immaturity. Has been a model citizen in recent seasons. Almost all reports have listed Ramirez as the #1 prospect in the organization for years now - he signed at the age of sixteen. It has also been said that Hanley enjoys playing in front of large crowds, which actually has been reflected in his stats. He loves playing the game and almost always wears a smile on his face. He has adjusted well at nearly every level, improving his game preparation and self discipline annually. He has the tools and abilities to switch to center field or third base down the line. Highest ceiling in organization.

Anibal Sachez, RHP

Born: February 27, 1984, Marcay Aragua, VZ

Height: 6-0 Weight: 180

Bats: Right Throws: Right

How Acquired: Minor league free agent (Jan. 2001)

ETA: 2007

Scouting Report: Sanchez was raised around a lot of pro players while growing up in Venezuela. Throws a two-seam and a four-seam fastball that tops out in the mid-90s with excellent control. Also throws an excellent deceptive changeup and a consistently improving curve. Good confidence and poise on the mound. Previously experienced nerve problems in his throwing arm, which he has seemingly now fully recovered from. Learned English quickly. Front-of-the rotation potential.

Jesus Delgado, RHP

Born: April 19, 1984, Maracay, Venezuela

Height: 6-1 Weight: 205

Bats: Right Throws: Right

How Acquired: Undrafted FA (2001)

College: Long Beach State

High School: Fontana High School

Scouting Report: A hard-throwing righty, Delgado had TJ surgery two years ago. Hasn't played since the Dominican Summer League in 2001. Struggled at Augusta in 2004.

found this article from 11/18... Anibal and Hanley are playing Winter Ball right now in DR and Venezuela...

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ne...t=.jsp&c_id=bos

Highlighting the list for the Red Sox is Hanley Ramirez, the five-tool prospect who has received his fair share of hype the past several years. Ramirez is playing for Licey of the Dominican Republic.

Through action on Nov. 12, Ramirez, a shortstop, was hitting .250 with four doubles, one triple, no homers and three RBIs in 68 at-bats.

After spending last season at Double-A Portland, Ramirez is likely to open 2005 with Triple-A Pawtucket.

"Hanley is getting the opportunity to play with Licey and continue to face good pitching," said Cherington. "The most important thing at this point in his development is to continue to get AB's against good pitching." ......

Anibal Sanchez, the hard-throwing right-hander who is one of the best pitching prospects in the organization, is in Venezuela as well, working out of the bullpen for Magallanes.

"As per our agreement with Magallanes, Anibal will be used in a structured relief role," said Cherington. "This is not because we want Anibal to be a reliever but rather to control his workload. Continued improvement of his fastball command is an important goal for Anibal this winter."

In his first three games, Sanchez was 0-0 with a 9.82 ERA.

------

Jesus Delgado played in the Arizona Fall League for the Peoria Sagueros:

0-0, 4.08 ERA in 17.2 innings in 10 games

3 BBs, 10Ks, 8ER, 1HR

Baseball America lists Petit and Jacobs as 2nd and 4th best propects in Mets' system, as of 11/11/2005.

Yusmeiro Petit

Height: 6?0? Weight: 230 lbs.

Position: Right-Handed Pitcher [P]

Bats/Throws: R/R

DOB: 11/22/1984

Age 21 (Happy Birthday!)

Organization: New York Mets

Acquired: Signed by Mets out of Venezuela in 2001

Current Team: Capital City Bombers - South Atlantic League - A

Yusmeiro Petit was not on too many people?s radar screens when the Mets signed him out of Venezuela as an undrafted free agent in 2001. Many needed a translator just to pronounce his name [try: yoos-mir-O].

He was better known to the baseball cognoscenti of Venezuela. He?s no secret to hitters or other teams: Petit is overpowering the South Atlantic League hitters with the Capital City Bombers in 2004.

The 19-year-old has an outstanding 8-1 record with a 2.14 ERA in 71.1 innings pitched. Demonstrating his Maddux-like control, Petit has already punched-out 101 batters while giving up only 20 walks. No surprise from one of the better Venezuelan players. They usually meet stiffer competition and major league talent in their leagues in the off season.

Yusmeiro was recently selected to pitch in the South Atlantic League All-Star Game, which will be played in Charleston, SC later this month.

We expect to see him in many more all star games in the years to come. If he keeps pitching at this pace, he should move up to the Double-A before the end of the season. He?s a fast track player who enters the MLN FAB50 at number thirty-three.

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/fe.../062204.33.html

-----

I had the opportunity on Tuesday to pop in and see Yusmeiro Petit. I only got to see him pitch a few innings behind the plate, and the rest of it was from the side due to his low pitch counts.

Yusmeiro Petit?

The first thing behind the plate that you notice about Petit is his arm action?

Funky type pitchers can be categorized as 'slingers,' while some can throw over the top, and some can short arm it. I'm not sure there is a current category to describe what Petit's arm action looks like from behind the plate. The only way I can describe it is to say that it's certainly true that he can make his stuff seem faster than it is. He lived at 87-89 mph and it felt like it was in the low 90's range?

However, his fastball is very straight, so he can't live out over the middle of the plate. He is going to be a pitcher that will need to move the ball around and hit corners to be effective in the major leagues?

I didn't see a slider in the few innings I watched. Everything was either fastball or change-up. What I loved is that the fastball at 87-mph and the change at 80- to 82-mph looked very similar. And there was no change in the arm action?

Most describe his change-up as average at best, but I absolutely loved it. Petit's arm action can really help if he not only changes locations in and out, but also if he changes planes up and down. The potential is there for great things if his control is good and he learns hitter tendencies. If not, even despite the arm action, his stuff is still hittable?

Before I offer up an opinion on how he stands, it is relevant to say that I think he's a pitcher you need to see multiple times to get a true feel of. I left the ballpark hoping that Philip Humber would be a better prospect as the best pitching prospect in the organization?

I don't see Petit as having ace stuff, but rather middle of the rotation type stuff with a worst case scenario career of being similar to Steve Trachsel in terms of numbers. There is no doubt in my mind that he will pitch in the major leagues, it's just that I don't see his ceiling that high at the moment?

Best case scenario would be a 'Greg Maddux-type' pitcher given his lack of true velocity - and how many pitchers can have that comparison made? However, he is young and he's the type of pitcher I would move slowly through the minors. True power pitchers can be promoted without seasoning, but finesse pitchers should be handled with care?

With that being said, if I were running the organization, he'd be in AA this year and AAA next year - unless he just flat pitches lights out. I guess the best way to categorize how I feel about him would be to talk about his trade value. If a true All-Star became available, Petit isn't untradeable. But he's also not someone that should be moved for an average middle-reliever, either?

After a few days of thinking, I'd be torn on whether or not I'd give up Yusmeiro Petit for Octavio Dotel right now. I like Petit, but I don't think he can continue the 'sub 2.50 ERA, ten strikeouts per nine innings pitched' type results at a higher level?

http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/2005/5/16/863374.html

-----

Jacobs, 25, batted .310 with 11 homers in 100 at bats with the Mets after being called up in mid-August.

Petit, who turned 21 yesterday, is considered the Mets' top pitching prospect. He was 9-3 with a 2.92 ERA last year at Double-A Binghamton.

-----

Jacobs Trying To Catch On At First

by: Joe McDonald | Publisher and Editor-in-Chief | Sunday, April 17 2005

BINGHAMTON, NY - Going into last season, Mike Jacobs was the big catching prospect for the New York Mets. After being named 2003 Mets Minor League Player of the Year by hitting .329 with 17 homers and 81 RBI for AA Binghamton, the San Diego native moved up to AAA and was primed to make his Major League debut in late 2004.

Unfortunately, Jacobs?s season was ended on June 14 when he underwent surgery to repair his right labrum. It was a setback and put the catcher into a situation he never experienced.

"It was scary," Jacobs told NY Sports Day. "After never being hurt before, even as a little kid growing up, the first thing that enters your mind is ?Am I going to recover from this? How long is this going to take??"

It?s taken almost a year, but the 24 year-old left-handed hitter is now back to full strength. After being in Major League Spring Training, Jacobs took a step back and was sent back to Binghamton to split time between catcher and first base. He is learning how to play the new position and feels that this move is the best for his career.

"After talking with our coaches and front office, they reassured me that it?s not a demotion, but they want me to save me my arm and work at first," Jacobs said. "They didn?t have any at bats at first base in AAA."

With Craig Brazell, Brian Daubach and Luis Garcia splitting time at first base in AAA, Jacobs has found everyday play for the BMets and is finding the transition going smoothly. He had some experience at first, but this is the first time he played the position on a regular basis.

"I feel comfortable, since I played some first base over the last three years, since I was at St. Lucie," Jacobs said. "It?s not really a tough position to play."

Jacobs still looks at himself as a catcher and is behind the plate three or four times a week. With Doug Mientkiewicz solidifying the first base position and Mike Piazza in his last year of his contract, being a backstop is still his ticket to the Majors.

"If this was a move strictly to first base, I would probably be against it, but I am still catching," Jacobs explained. "I am still on the roster and still one step away. If someone gets hurt, I can get called up."

New Yorkers may remember Jacobs as the first backstop on the 2001 Brooklyn Cyclones and drove in the winning run in the 10th inning of the inaugural game at Keyspan Park. Jacobs said the large crowds at Coney Island "excited him" and the experience helped him later in his career.

Right now the catcher, who has a large tattoo of his name on his back, is trying to make it one borough north of Brooklyn. Beside his work at first, Jacobs is also working on his skills with the tools of ignorance. He has free reign to call games, but has to learn many of the players in the Eastern League.

"It takes some time, bit it?s not hard. We sit down before the game and look at the other team," Jacobs explained. "Sometimes [the coaches] talk to you in between innings, but I have pretty much free reign."

Besides all that work, he also needs to be the big stick in the BMets lineup.

"I need to go out and have another solid year," Jacobs added. "And just show [the organization] that I am still the same guy who tore it up here two years ago."

If he does, the Mets may have their catching heir for Piazza.

http://www.nysportsday.com/news/bing/1113730318.html

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/garcia-harvey.htm

Harvey Garcia

Born: March 16, 1984

Height: 6-2

Weight: 170

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

Drafted: Not Drafted

How Acquired: International free

agent (Jun. 2002)

ETA: 2008

Scouting Report: Garcia's fastball tops out around 96 mph, with excellent command . Very confident on the mound. He relies very heavily on his fastball, but he occasionally utilizes an average breaking ball and a unrefined changeup.

- placed on 40-man roster on 11/18/2005

- 2005 Stats at Greenville: 2.01 ERA, 32G, 44.2IP, 54K/18BB=3.00K/BB

- 2005 South Atlantic League All-Star

- ranked 26th overall Red Sox prospect by soxprospects.com

http://mets.scout.com/2/315704.html

Grant Psomas

Position: Third Base

DOB: December 9, 1984

Height: 6?3?

Weight: 195

Bats: Right

Throws: Right

- Baseball America ranked him as best in Mets' system in "Strike Zone Discipline"

- The New York Mets selected Grant Psomas in the 15th round of the 2004 draft out of West Virginia University. Originally drafted as a shortstop, the Mets moved Psomas over to third base to man the hot corner for the Brooklyn Cyclones.

(SCOUTING REPORT FROM NOVEMBER 2004)

Playing shortstop for the West Virginia Moutaineers in 2004, Psomas hit .343 with 9 home runs and led the team in assists with 155. WVU Coach Greg Van Zant raved about the athletic ability of his former shortstop. ?He is very athletic, and can play any position on the field?, Coach Van Zant told NYfansonly.com. ?There is no doubt in my mind that he can play third base.? And after the Mets drafted Ryan Coultas, the Mets did exactly that and moved Psomas over to third base to take advantage of his power.

Brooklyn Cyclones manager Tony Tijerina said the move to third was made because the Mets felt Psomas looked better as a third baseman, especially with his power potential. ?Grant we feel profiles better as a third baseman. He has the potential to put up big power numbers, and a corner position like third suits him better.? So while the Mets felt Psomas would be served better at third base, Psomas' college coach concurred. Said Van Zant, "?Grant has lots of power, he hits the ball a long way. He has as much power as any college hitter I have seen this year. At our field the distance is 325 down the line and 370 in the gap. We also have 100 foot high light beams by the left center and right center field, and Grant has hit the top of those poles many times. He certainly has the potential to hit the ball over 450 feet."

Psomas backed up his coaches' praise with excellent defense at third base for the Cyclones and displayed good gap power at the plate. Despite hitting just .233 in his first taste of professional baseball, Psomas showed good patience at the plate. Grant Psomas was the only positional player drafted by the Mets in 2004 to be in the Cyclones Opening Day lineup and set a Cyclones' record for games played at third base with 61 games. How did Grant feel about switching positions? ?I never played third before, but I am making the adjustment pretty well and just hope to keep on progressing? Psomas said. When asked to compare the two positions, Psomas went on to say: ?Just that you don?t have much reaction time at third, ball gets on you quicker. The biggest difference is just getting to know how to handle the position and how the ball will come on to you.?

-----

Batting and Power. Psomas is a much better hitter than his .233 batting average for the Cyclones indicates. He is extremely patient at the plate and tied for the team lead in walks despite being a rookie. Psomas also has much more power than his home run total shows and has the chance to be a decent power hitter for the Mets. He's has the selectivity and power to hit .290 with 20+ home runs each year.

Base Running and Speed. Psomas is quicker than most third baseman and has the ability to steal some bases. He's a smart base runner and will catch fielders napping at times if they don't pay attention to him.

Defense. Psomas is very athletic and has the ability to play any of the infield positions. He has a strong arm and makes accurate throws to first base. Psomas has soft hands and makes a lot of plays others can not. Defense is certainly his strong suit.

Projection. It is a little premature to project Psomas' development at this time. There's talk among some Mets' officials that Psomas could eventually be switched over to second base where he would be an even better prospect with his power. He has the athletic ability to handle anything that comes his way. He's a prospect "sleeper" at this point.

ETA. N/A. Psomas' timetable will certainly be dictated by which position he settles in playing. If he does move over to second base, Psomas could rise through the system a lot quicker than if he remains at third base. Psomas should be in low-A ball in Hagerstown next season and from there a better ETA can be established.

Hanley Ramirez - SS - Marlins

Marlins acquired SS Hanley Ramirez, RHP Anibal Sanchez, RHP Jesus Delgado and RHP Harvey Garcia from the Red Sox for RHP Josh Beckett, 3B Mike Lowell and RHP Guillermo Mota.

Ramirez would benefit from a year in Triple-A after hitting .271/.335/.385 with 26 steals in 39 attempts for Double-A Portland last season, but he becomes the heavy favorite to start at shortstop for the Marlins. He'll be decent defensively and get better as time goes on. Offense figures to be a problem, though he'll probably still enough bases to have some value in NL-only leagues. While he has All-Star potential, he may not be an above average regular until 2008 or even 2009. Nov. 24 - 11:36 pm et

Anibal Sanchez - S - Marlins

RHP Anibal Sanchez was traded from the Red Sox to the Marlins in a seven-player deal.

Sanchez may have been Boston's No. 3 pitching prospect, but he still ranks among the top 20 in baseball. He throws in the mid-90s and has a plus curve and a developing change. He's something of an injury risk and he could probably use another full season in the minors, but there's a lot to like here. Nov. 24 - 11:32 pm et

Jesus Delgado - R - Marlins

Right-handed relievers Jesus Delgado and Harvey Garcia were sent from Boston to Florida in the Josh Beckett deal.

The Red Sox liked both young relievers enough to put them on the 40-man roster last week, even though neither has made it to Double-A yet. Delgado, 21, reaches the mid-90s with his hard sinker, making him a potential setup man. He might debut in the second half of next season. Garcia, also 21, had a 2.01 ERA and a 54/18 K/BB ratio for low Single-A Greenville last season. He's not the prospect that Delgado is, but he has a chance. Nov. 24 - 11:28 pm et

Yusmeiro Petit - S - Marlins

Marlins acquired RHP Yusmeiro Petit, 1B Mike Jacobs and 3B Grant Psomas from the Mets for 1B Carlos Delgado and cash.

Psomas' inclusion makes this even better for the Marlins. The 2004 15th-round pick hit .300/.403/.551 in 350 AB for low Single-A Hagerstown and .305/.383/.415 in 118 AB for Single-A St. Lucie last season. He ranked somewhere between 10th and 15th amongst Mets prospects. Petit remains the top property in the deal. He could probably use a half season in Triple-A, but the Marlins are likely to let him compete for a rotation spot in spring training. While immediate success may not come, he projects as a long-term No. 3 starter. Nov. 24 - 7:39 pm et

Mike Jacobs - 1B - Marlins

First baseman Mike Jacobs was traded from the Mets to the Marlins in a four-player deal.

Even if the Marlins trade Paul Lo Duca, it's expected that they'll leave Jacobs at first base and give him the starting job against right-handers. Expectations may be too high after he hit .310/.375/.710 with 11 HR in 100 AB last season, but he could hit .280 with 20-25 homers in 450-500 at-bats. If he opens the year batting fourth or fifth, $12 wouldn't be too much to spend. Nov. 24 - 7:33 pm et

All c/o of Rotoworld.

It'll be nice having these players for the next ~5 years until they all get close to free agency and we trade ALL of them for more prospects :plain .

In five years we will know whether or not we have a stadium so thats kind of silly to say. If we have a stadium, I wouldn't be suprised to see more players staying.

I know, I was just kidding/being sarcastic in light of all the crap that's been going on.

It'll be nice having these players for the next ~5 years until they all get close to free agency and we trade ALL of them for more prospects :plain .

In five years we will know whether or not we have a stadium so thats kind of silly to say. If we have a stadium, I wouldn't be suprised to see more players staying.

I know, I was just kidding/being sarcastic in light of all the crap that's been going on. Its 1 am. :(

I can't tell sarcasm... :p

• 2 weeks later...

Travis Bowyer

B/T: R/R

HT/WT: 6-3/215

Born: August 3, 1981, Lynchburg, VA

Resides: Big Island, VA

How Obtained: Twins' 20th round pick in 1999 June draft.

In return, the Marlins get Bowyer, a fireballing righthanded reliever whose fastball tops out at 98 mph, and Tyler, who finished the year at high Class A Fort Myers. Bowyer, a 20th-rounder in 1999 who fought his way onto the 40-man roster last winter, saw his profile rise markedly after a strong showing at Triple-A. He pitched in the Futures Game, earned a September callup and went to the Arizona Fall League this season. He might have the biggest fastball in the system, having touched 100 mph in Arizona and pitching at 95-97 mph. The pitch has late life and boring action, but too often it?s the only pitch he can command. His slurvy breaking ball isn't close to being a finished product and his changeup has all but disappeared--though that was what he went to Arizona to work on. He ended up allowing 28 hits in 15 Fall League innings.

Baseball America http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/...02castillo.html

Everyone knows Twins righthander Travis Bowyer can bring excessive heat, topping out in the high 90s with his plus fastball, but Bowyer is in the AFL to focus on bringing a quality secondary pitch to the table for next season. Bowyer, who started off as the setup man at Triple-A Rochester in 2005, quickly moved to the closer role?throwing almost all fastballs while mixing in the occasional changeup during a successful first half. Bowyer racked up 17 saves and carried a 2.12 ERA before the all-star break. The second half was a different story, however, as Bowyer worked on a curveball and struggled with its command. ?I don?t know if it?s a curveball or a slider?it?s more of a slurve or whatever you want to call it,? Bowyer said. ?But that?s what I?m here working on, just trying to figure out what it?s going to be and how to locate it properly. I need that third weapon.?

Bowyer played a part in Surprise shortstop Brandon Wood?s now legendary day last Monday when he hit four homers during a 20-1 win against Grand Canyon. ?I?ve given up three home runs out here, but that one . . . I have no idea how he got it. It was 97 (mph) and about six inches off the ground. Whatever. Shoot, I don?t know. But he drove it like 400 feet. It really ticked me off because I thought there was no way he was even going to swing at it. It wasn?t hittable, except to him, I guess.?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/2005a...1021gordon.html

2004: Began season at Ft.Myers...did not allow a run in 9 of 10 appearances, going 1-0, 1.15 (15.2 ip, 2 er) with one save, April 13-May 10...was 2-0, 0.00 (7.2 ip) with one save in 4 appearances, May 21-29...promoted to New Britian, June 2...played in Florida State League All-Star Game, June 12 at St. Lucie...did not allow a run in 10 appearances (19.2 ip), June 2-28...was 3-1, 1.53 (17.2ip, 3 er) with two saves in 9 appearances, July 4-28...season high 4.1 innings, August 25 at Trenton...season high 7 strikeouts, September 2 at Harrisburg...had combined batting-average against of .185 (60-325) with left-handeds batting .200 (28-140) with two homers and righthanders batting .185 (32-173) with one homer.

2003: Season-high 3 game win streak, April 5-May 10...tied season high 5 strikeouts, May 10 vs. Brevard County...did not allow a run in 7 of 9 appearances, May 31-June 24...tied season high 3.1 innings, August 2 at Vero Beach...was 0-0, 1.26 (14.1 ip, 2 er) with one save, August 2-30...was second on club in games and third in strikeouts.

2002: Did not allow a run in 7 appearances, going 1-0 0.00 (13.2 ip, 0 er), April 19-May 14...was 3-1, 1.13 (16.0 ip, 2 er) with two saves in 11 appearances, June 22-July 18...season high 7.2 innings and 7 strikeouts, August 28 at Kane County...was second on club in games and fifth in innings pitched and strikeouts.

2001: Was 2-1, 1.99 (22.2ip, 5 er) in 4 starts, July 2-20...season high 9 strikeouts July 14 at Burlington...tied season high 6.0 innings, July 20 at Bristol...was fourth on club in games started.

2000: Was 1-1, 1.93 (14.o ip, 3 er) in 3 starts, July 4-14...season high 7.0 innings, July 20 vs. Orioles...season high 2 game win streak, going 2-0, 3.38 (16.0 ip, 6er) in three starts, July 20-August 1...season high 6 strikeouts, August 1 vs. Red Sox...tied for club lead in games started, tied for third in innings pitched and was fourth in strikeouts....tied for third in league in games started.

1999: graduate of Liberty (VA) High School and began professional career at GCL Twins.

http://www.redwingsbaseball.com/meettheteam/BowyerT.html

Bowyer, 24, impressed the Marlins this year in the Arizona Fall League -- he played on the same club as the Marlins prospects, the Grand Canyon Rafters. He collected 23 saves and compiled a 2.78 ERA at Minnesota's Triple-A affiliate in Rochester, N.Y., last summer during a season in which one scout called him the "best reliever in the International League."

He could become the Marlins' closer in the very near future.

cbssportsline.com

had a 2.78 ERA and a 96/40 K/BB ratio in 74 1/3 for Triple-A Rochester last season. He also struck out 12 in 9 2/3 innings for the Twins. He got lit up in the Arizona Fall League at the end of the year, but that's because he was concentrating on his slider and not using his 95-98 mph fastball to blow hitters away. Bowyer isn't polished enough to move into the closer's role right away, but he'll probably have a spot in the Florida pen coming out of spring training. He'll be a sleeper for 2006 and keeper leaguers would be smart to pick him up.

rotoworld.com

Scott Tyler

POSITION: Pitcher

HEIGHT: 6'5"

WEIGHT: 235

BATS: Right

THROWS: Right

BORN: August 20, 1983

HOMETOWN: Philadelphia, PA

RESIDES: Fort Myers, FL

HOW OBTAINED: 2nd-round selection in 2001 draft

The jury is still out on Tyler as well. A second-rounder in 2001, Tyler is physically imposing with a large, stiff 6-foot-5, 240-pound frame, and he continues to struggle with his delivery and command. He battled knee problems in 2005, leading to questions about his durability and strength. When he's healthy and on his game, Tyler pitches at 92-94 mph with a hard curve and decent changeup. He throws from a three-quarters arm slot, which doesn't take advantage of his height. While he's been primarily a starter for the majority of his career, a move to the bullpen might be his best option.

Baseball America http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/...02castillo.html

NOTEWORTHY: 2001 graduate of Downington (PA) High School...member of College Scholarship Plan.

CAREER:

2003: Ranked as Twins' 6th-best prospect by Baseball America...Was second on club in games started and strikeouts, tied for second in wins, and was third in innings...was 12th among minor league starters in K/9 (9.31)...

2002: Twins? Minor League Player of the Week, going 2-0, 0.00 (11.2 ip), with 15 k?s, August 17-23...allowed 11.17 BR/9 and had 12.23 K/9...led club in wins and innings...led league in strikeouts, tied for second in wins, and was sixth in ERA...2002: led Appalachian League in strikeouts, tied for second in wins, and finished sixth in ERA...Twins' Minor League Player of the Week, August 17-23, after going 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 15 K's in 11.2 IP

http://miraclefans.com/players/tyler.html

Bowyer is going to be a monster. I'll go out on the limb and say he'll definiteloy be our closer by 2007 and probably sometime in 2006.

I hope you are right, but I doubt the 2006 projection. From the reports I've read, he should probably spend another year in the minors. It seems unlikely at this point we'll get a proven closer to bridge the gap, but we may be suprised. I say bring back Jones... if he would even consider returning at this point that is.