R.I.P Florida Marlins

musk

Let me preface this by saying I'm not automaticlly signing off on next season. I still support the Marlins but not as "die-hard" as I would have if this news hadn't come out.

The team has lost any and all legitimacy it has gained since the '97 fire sale. Players and franchises have no respect for this organization seeing as how they not only dispense young/cheap talent, but despense players who picked to play for this franchise over another. Being a verteran for the Florida Marlins means 1 thing, you have the job security of someone on The Apprentice.

I love this team. I tried my hardest to make it to as many games as possible (I didn't miss a home series this season, my first season in South Florida since 2002). But I understand what the team is doing and why they have to do it. With no stadium and quite possibly the worst fanbase for any professional team in America, I want them to move. They need to find a stadium somewhere and people who appreciate a major league baseball team.

In order for there to be a "team" there must be 3 things: Franchise Players (players that you can count on to be there and perform and which the FO makes it a point to keep them there), a community devoted to the team, and a team devoted to the community. To me, there is no "Florida Marlins" left. Although the team has shown devotion to the community over the past decade, the community has not reciprocated these feelings. Hence the team has been forced to discontinue its support for the community. I no longer feel a tie to the Florida Marlins and have begun the grieving period. I have to accept the fact that I can no longer call them "my team" because the only thing that connected me, the hometown spirit, has been taken away. Its hard to say this, but its something that I have to come and realize. The team is leaving me just as the community has left them.

I hope that by the stroke of a miracle the Marlins can get a stadium in the heart of downtown Miami. I hope by the stroke of a miracle that they can stay here and somehow field a team that is competitive every year. But it will require just that, a stroke of a miracle.

Admin and Dave, I'm sorry. I'm sorry this community could not support your quest to legitimize this team after its historicaly embarassing moments (fire sale '97, constatnt change of ownership). I'm sorry this community has put you at the bottom of the priority list. Good luck in finding a community that will nuture and support you in your never ending endevore to create a world class baseball organization.

Marlins Fans, don't be upset. They are doing the right thing and you know it. Our community, whether it is the placement of the stadium, weather paterns, political redtape, or plain citizens, just cannot support a baseball team. We have had 12 years to show that South Florida can be a legitimate baseball market and we have failed. We have been awarded 2 Championships in 10 years. More than the Miami Heat, Florida Panthers, and the Miami Dolphins have awarded us in more than 30 years. We show little or no support for teams outside of the Miami Dolphins unless they have high priced talent (see: Heat, Panthers). It is a shame that the Florida Marlins, who arguably have the best management of ANY professional sports team in South Florida, cannot be shown the same respect as these other teams when they do infact sign high priced talent and do field a team that can be a legitamate contender for many years to come. It's sad, but it's the way it has to be.

R.I.P. Florida Marlins. Thanks for the joy, the heartache, the championships, and giving this community a chance.

Marlins Fans, don't be upset. They are doing the right thing and you know it. Our community, whether it is the placement of the stadium, weather paterns, political redtape, or plain citizens, just cannot support a baseball team.

The community CAN support a baseball team. The problem is that the people running the community and running the baseball team are absolute morons that don't know how to count to 10.

I really beleive that the Marlins will not go anywhere, someway somehow the city and the Marlins will get toghther and we will get the stadium. Also there is still way to many good fans left here to just let the team go just like that...if the fans start making a big deal out of this people will listen........

I still support the Marlins but not as "die-hard" as I would have if this news hadn't come out.

I no longer feel a tie to the Florida Marlins and have begun the grieving period.

Oh bother. So which one is it? Are you going to support the team next year or not?

You act as if the Marlins have already left South Florida. But the fact remains they have nowhere to go and likely won't for years to come, if ever.

I understand your disappointment. We are all disappointed. But the situation is what it is. The Marlins are in a horrendous lease and don't have enough fans to overcome it and support a $67M payroll year after year.

So accept it. We are going to have a team of young, exciting players to watch next year. They may not be playoff or World Series contenders, but they should be fun to watch. Tickets are reasonably priced and it will be nice to be out for a few South Florida evenings next year...... sipping a beverage, eating some snacks and cheering the team on.

Enjoy it while you can and get the most of of it. Fretting over it will only lead to an ulcer.