Joe Rose: Huizenga offers land, $ to Marlins?

Lane1974

this is what a very reliable poster on realgm.com had

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=439907&start=24

(it's on page 3 of that thread)

At the end of Joe Rose's show today he was reporting breaking story that Huizingaa is offering land and cash to help build a stadium next to JRS. Haven't seen this reported anywhere yet.

Also, trades went through and we netted 2 more prospects than reported, and also traded Mota who underachieved his entire time here. That alone takes the payroll down $30M. I know AZ is clammoring for LoDuca since he lives there in the offseason and would like to go, but unless they offered good stuff, I'd like to see the team try to keep him if possible to help the young pitchers. I feel young pitchers need a vet catcher to help keep their head on straight. I am one of the ones who thinsk Pudge was sucha big part of our succeess in 03 because he got a lot out of the picthers. AJ lost basically the whole year and it still shows since he refuses to pitch so often and just comes with heat. I'd also like to see Conine retained becuse, especially if the Marlins stay in SF, I'd like to see him become a coach/ manager with the organization. I love how feisty Pierre is, but he hasn't been the same player since 03, I think because he put on too much muscle. The HErald reported yesterday the team may keep Castillo to aid Ramirez's development, esp since their both Dominican. Even withGonzalez leaaving, Miggy will probably like that we picked up three Venezuelans.

Also, Hank had county manager George Burgess on the show the other day (who, after Mayor Alvaarez came off like an idiot after Katrina and the first post Wilma press conference, Burgess became the defacto talking head for all County activity), and acknowledged the interst/ involvement of several prominant Hispanic business leaders, including Armando Codina, in a group that has tried an dwill continue to keep the team here. Hank emphasized Codina's name among two others mentioned and suggested he was quite a basebaall fan. This is not unusul in today's gov't deals. Codina helped Coral GAbles broker an incentive package to keep Burge King HQ in town and relocate to Coral Gables in a buildijng Codina will be paid to build. Another local wealthy developer, Jorge Gomez, has been pulling strings behind the scenes with Miami Beach to bring Cirque de Soleil here and get the City to pony up a huge incentive package, as well as give an existing theater to them rent free, so that Gomez can build around it. This is how the deal will gt done, on land development and real estate. It was a problem in the old deal because the Marlins insisted on hiring their own construction firm, which likely would have kept the budget down and the project on schedule. But look how far that has gotten them. It would have been better to allow supposedly competative bids and had the deal happen by now.

Can you imagine if Huizenga ends up SAVING the Marlins in SouthFL?

He'd instantly go from being one of the most hated figures in South FL to someone who would receive standing ovations when he enters a room...all for the small price of some land that has almost no value (except maybe as a parking lot for Fins games). Plus, it would end up fattening his own pockets once the entire "sports" complex is complete - and the NFL announces that it will become the permament site of every future superbowl.

Maybe Huizenga was smarter than everyone thought?

Can you imagine if Huizenga ends up SAVING the Marlins in SouthFL?

He'd instantly go from being one of the most hated figures in South FL to someone who would receive standing ovations when he enters a room...all for the small price of some land that has almost no value (except maybe as a parking lot for Fins games). Plus, it would end up fattening his own pockets once the entire "sports" complex is complete - and the NFL announces that it will become the permament site of every future superbowl.

Maybe Huizenga was smarter than everyone thought?

I agree man!! I hate the guy, He saves the fish... I'll LOVE HIM!!

Most likely he would get the parking still since they would be sharing the parking lots. Or part of the parking. Plus it would help with his super complex. He wants bars and dinner places all around there. A shoping mall and all. He would give the marlins the land with the homes on it and perhaps purchase a small portion of the fish back. I think it is a win win for the fish if this is indeed true!

Also is there anything on 790 about this? I really would love to see if they have anything on their website if they cracked the story first. Or is this just a repeat of the Cody story?

Most likely he would get the parking still since they would be sharing the parking lots. Or part of the parking. Plus it would help with his super complex. He wants bars and dinner places all around there. A shoping mall and all. He would give the marlins the land with the homes on it and perhaps purchase a small portion of the fish back. I think it is a win win for the fish if this is indeed true!

Forgive me for not holding my breath...

:plain

Forgive me for not holding my breath...

:plain

agreed why I am asking for more informtation too. Wayne is a shrewd businessman he wouldnt be doing this without getting an edge for himself.

This has some serious potential...but as Hugg said...what's the catch?

Also, remember, under the deal with Miami at the OB site, the Marlins would be tenants of the stadium and not own the stadium outright; so the same probably would apply here. Huizenga owns the facility with the roof, the Marlins use it with a favorable tenant agreement.

Also, remember, under the deal with Miami at the OB site, the Marlins would be tenants of the stadium and not own the stadium outright; so the same probably would apply here. Huizenga owns the facility with the roof, the Marlins use it with a favorable tenant agreement.

I doubt he is offering up close to that much, I bet just enough to bridge the gap and in a long term loan agreement for a cheap interest rate. What Wayne would be getting is 3 things.

First they would be using his parking, hence there is money flowing in for him.

Second having baseball there would work for his plans for his super complex.

Third Wayne gets great press for being the man "Who saved baseball in south florida." The Man whom "Brought Panthers and Marlins to south florida and built this into a four sport town".

Perhaps there is much more too knowing wayne he is capable of anything hehehe.

Another thought just occured to me. What if he would be using this as a way to get a sweeter deal to put a retractable dome upon Joe Robbie Stadium? We all know he wants one there. Perhaps he can kill two birds with one stone?

I doubt he is offering up close to that much, I bet just enough to bridge the gap and in a long term loan agreement for a cheap interest rate. What Wayne would be getting is 3 things.

First they would be using his parking, hence there is money flowing in for him.

Second having baseball there would work for his plans for his super complex.

Third Wayne gets great press for being the man "Who saved baseball in south florida." The Man whom "Brought Panthers and Marlins to south florida and built this into a four sport town".

Perhaps there is much more too knowing wayne he is capable of anything hehehe.

Can't argue with any of those provisos. At the OB, the Marlins would get zilch from the parking since there aren't any lots to speak of, and I don't think the guys who let you park on their lawn for $20 are giving any cash to the Marlins.

That sports village would help the Marlins in June and July just as much as it would help Wayne...I mean, how many people do you know that say they don't go down to the games because it's in the middle of no where and there's nothing near to go to after the game, it's just a long car ride down and a long ride back.

I'm absolutely falling in love with this idea.

So what, he would fund the gap for the new stadium and ask to have a percentage in the ownership?

No, probably partial rights to the stadium or some-such.

The key to this is it allows the sports village to go up because with both baseball and football in the area, we're only talking about February as the only guaranteed month without a tenant.