Tejada wants to be traded

ultimopain

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-o...ov=ap&type=lgns

AP NewsBreak: Tejada wants to be traded

By DIONISIO SOLDEVILA, Associated Press Writer

December 8, 2005

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) -- Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada said Thursday he's unhappy with the team's direction and wants to be traded.

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada told The Associated Press during a telephone interview in his native Dominican Republic.

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season.

He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBIs this year, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the AL East.

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," Tejada said.

Boston traded shortstop Edgar Renteria to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

Tejada came to Baltimore after playing seven years with the Oakland Athletics.

This is ridiculous... A player who signs a multi-year contract should fulfill his contract and remain with the team. Since when did players feel that they were so damn superior? All of a sudden, if a team struggles, they should be given the right to demand a trade? Tejada still has like 4 years left on his contract, and he's already asking out???

I understand baseball is a business and sometimes the team will trade a player away mid-contract, or at the beginning of a contract (Renteria/Carlos Delgado), but there are other reasons there. As a player/employer, they should stick with the team they are committed to and shut up...

This is ridiculous... A player who signs a multi-year contract should fulfill his contract and remain with the team. Since when did players feel that they were so damn superior? All of a sudden, if a team struggles, they should be given the right to demand a trade? Tejada still has like 4 years left on his contract, and he's already asking out???

I understand baseball is a business and sometimes the team will trade a player away mid-contract, or at the beginning of a contract (Renteria/Carlos Delgado), but there are other reasons there. As a player/employer, they should stick with the team they are committed to and shut up...

I agree. they should just shut up and play

I agree. they should just shut up and play

Yea but also when he signed that contract he was also promised that they were going to bring in people to win a championship...all they have brought in is catchers and they let go there ace for nothing in return...I'd want out 2......

Melvin Mora stands behind Tejada.

"I think he is right," said Mora, speaking from Puerto Rico, where he is on vacation with his family. He said he spoke to Tejada three days ago, but Tejada's apparent wishes to be traded never came up. "He says what he feels and that's pretty much what has happened. You let people go like nothing and you do nothing to help this club. And he wants to go someplace to compete. I don't blame him. We want [the front office] to do something."

"Who is going to pitch for us?" added Mora, who has one year left on his contract. "I don't care what people think of what Tejada says. We know exactly what he says because we feel it."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...sports-baseball

Can you imagine a Ramirez, Ortiz, Tejada line-up?

*Drools*

You'll never see that lineup, because the only way the O's will give him up to the Sox is if it includes Manny.

Not unless it is a three way deal involving the Mets. I doubt either team wants to swap players in division. If a Tejada to Boston deal were to happen, the Mets will be involved.

Yeah, it's absurd that players go around comfortably signing the largest contracts they can get--regardless of what sh*t teams they're signing with--and then expect to be traded a la Pudge, TO, or A-rod (or traded and bought-out in the case of Zo) when things suddenly aren't going well.

Under baseball's CBA, signing with a team that's going nowhere isn't necessarily all that bad since your T-money contract will always be guaranteed.