Soriano: Im Not Moving To The Outfield

Passion

If the Nationals acquired Alfonso Soriano to move him to the outfield, as has been speculated, they might be in for a rude awakening.

In an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Soriano reiterated a position he maintained while with the Rangers: He's not moving from second base.

"I have the same position [on moving] as I always had when I was with Texas," Soriano told the newspaper. "I said that I'm not going to change from second base."

Although he said he hasn't spoken with anyone from the Nationals, Soriano told the Star-Telegram that he believes the club traded for him to play second base.

"I think that if they traded for me, it's to play second base," he told the newspaper.

However, Washington already has a past All-Star at second base in Jose Vidro, though he was hampered by leg problems last season that limited him to 87 games.

Soriano has been reluctant in the past to switch positions. When he was acquired by Texas in the February 2004 trade that sent AL MVP Alex Rodriguez to the New York Yankees, Soriano remained at second base and Michael Young moved to shortstop, where he became an All-Star.

Soriano was traded by the Rangers to the Nationals on Wednesday night for Brad Wilkerson, Terrmel Sledge and a minor league pitcher.

Since the Nationals traded two outfielders in the deal, it would make sense that the club would want Soriano to play in the outfield. But Soriano wants none of that talk.

"Obviously, I have the control. Of course I'm not going to play the outfield," he told the Star-Telegram.

With a rare combination of power and speed, Soriano has been one of the most productive infielders in the majors the past four years. He hit .268 with 36 homers, 104 RBI and 30 stolen bases last season, when he earned $7.5 million.

Eligible for arbitration, he almost certainly will get a substantial raise next year, and he can become a free agent after the 2006 season. He is a .283 career hitter with 162 home runs.

Soriano gives the Nationals the dynamic offensive player they desperately want. Washington finished last in the majors in batting average (.252), slugging percentage (3.86), runs (3.94 per game) and homers (117), along with an NL-low 45 stolen bases.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2253650

I'll say the same thing I said in the Tejada thread... Players need to shut up and play. Whatever happened to being a team player? These guys get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game. Some of us pay money to get the chance to play once a week. These guys are ridiculous.

I'll say the same thing I said in the Tejada thread... Players need to shut up and play. Whatever happened to being a team player? These guys get paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game. Some of us pay money to get the chance to play once a week. These guys are ridiculous.

So because he was traded, which he had no say in, he should be forced to move to a position he has never played?

I'm going to go ahead an no sell the "shut up and play." Just because he gets paid millions of dollars doesn't mean he forfeits all say in what he gets to do with life. Sorry pero excuse me.

I'm going to go ahead an no sell the "shut up and play." Just because he gets paid millions of dollars doesn't mean he forfeits all say in what he gets to do with life. Sorry pero excuse me.

He gets no say in what to do in life?? OK dude, they aren't asking him to stop playing baseball and begin underwater basket weaving. They're asking him to play a different position... I'm a Systems Analyst at a cruise line. If all of a sudden, Royal Caribbean sold all their ships and became hotels, and I was asked to begin supporting Hotel I.T Operations, I wouldn't have the right to say no. They pay me to do something, and as their employer, I do it...

Who gives a rats arse if they talked to him or not? Miguel Cabrera gladly went into LF and RF for us when we needed him to. He didn't bitch about it. He was just glad to be in the lineup, went out there, and played his heart out..

I'm so tired of hearing these spoiled players trying to dictate their every move.. Cry me a f**ing river dude. Pay me millions of dollars and not only will I play whatever position you want me to, but I'll manually hand wash the entire team's jock straps, if need be.

He gets no say in what to do in life?? OK dude, they aren't asking him to stop playing baseball and begin underwater basket weaving. They're asking him to play a different position... I'm a Systems Analyst at a cruise line. If all of a sudden, Royal Caribbean sold all their ships and became hotels, and I was asked to begin supporting Hotel I.T Operations, I wouldn't have the right to say no. They pay me to do something, and as their employer, I do it...

Who gives a rats arse if they talked to him or not? Miguel Cabrera gladly went into LF and RF for us when we needed him to. He didn't bitch about it. He was just glad to be in the lineup, went out there, and played his heart out..

I'm so tired of hearing these spoiled players trying to dictate their every move.. Cry me a f**ing river dude. Pay me millions of dollars and not only will I play whatever position you want me to, but I'll manually hand wash the entire team's jock straps, if need be.

Moving from left to right field is not the same as movig from second base to the outfield. Apples and oranges.

Also, you would have some say in your job, you could quit and look for different employment. Soriano cant other then asking for a trade.

Also, since when did pay scale dictate the rights you have?

Moving from left to right field is not the same as movig from second base to the outfield. Apples and oranges.

Also, you would have some say in your job, you could quit and look for different employment. Soriano cant other then asking for a trade.

OK, sure.. but when he was first asked to play the OF, he had never played there before. Don't forget he was first a SS, then a 3b. It was only when Hollandsworth was struggling, that they asked him to move positions. When he came up and played LF for us, he'd only been playing there a week.

And yes, pay scale has a lot to do with it.. If you're getting paid loads of money to be part of a team. You better check your ego and do whatever the team needs you to do.

OK, sure.. but when he was first asked to play the OF, he had never played there before. Don't forget he was first a SS, then a 3b. It was only when Hollandsworth was struggling, that they asked him to move positions. When he came up and played LF for us, he'd only been playing there a week.

And yes, pay scale has a lot to do with it.. If you're getting paid loads of money to be part of a team. You better check your ego and do whatever the team needs you to do.

Cabrera was not an estabished player in the majors either, he had no leverage. Soriano has show what he can do at a major league level, so yes Id say he should and does have some say in where he plays.

Again, I dont know how you can possibly justify that because of your pay....you forfeit rights. That is absurd to me.

See, but the Nationals aren't shutting down shop and becoming a football team asking him to play wide receiver. They are, allegedly, asking him to switch the position he has known all of his life to one he has never before played. Would this be a nice, self-less move on his part to just get up and go to the outfield? Yes. It's nice to hold athletes to a standard they can't possibly ever reach just because they make salaries that we have almost as little of a chance of reaching.

Fact of the matter is, Soriano is a second baseman. He is paid to be a second baseman. If they want to offer him some incentive other than "be a team player" to switch positions, then some may be accurate in criticizing his need to stay at his normal location. Hell, it'd even be a much tougher situation for him if he had to choose between a higher salary or his normal position. That is, in fact, what happens in real life. If you are offered a post in another city from where you originally worked, you are offered more money to take this position. You aren't just sent away like a slave, you are offered options and are then expected to either choose between the options presented to you or create a reasonable one for yourself. Never are you just expected to make changes because The Man tells you to.

The thing is, people see this as being in the same company and moving from one cubicle to another. It's not. It's like working for IBM, and all of a sudden you're cast off from Technology Development to the Sales Department at the same salary, without your consent. You don't know anything about sales, why would you be put there? Sure, you could learn, but you're one of the biggest names in the Technology aspect of the world. Would you be comfortable being sent off to sales, especially when you know as well as the company knows that there are plenty of other competitors that wouldn't mind having you as one of their IT guys?

Cabrera was not an estabished player in the majors either, he had no leverage. Soriano has show what he can do at a major league level, so yes Id say he should and does have some say in where he plays.

Again, I dont know how you can possibly justify that because of your pay....you forfeit rights. That is absurd to me.

See, to me, it means nothing that he's an established player... I'm not saying that he should be forced to move positions. But the fact that he won't even consider it, is a disrespect to the team and the game of baseball.. Sure, I can go and look for employment somewhere else, but so can he... Get off your arse and go play for an Independent League.. Far fetched? Sure, but to say he can't go anywhere else is wrong.. He can even do what the almighty Miguel Tejada did and ask for a trade. No one is stopping him from doing that.

At what point did Major League players become so damn cocky, that just asking them to move positions wasn't acceptable? I guarantee you that if a team asked a guy like Todd Helton or Sean Casey to move positions, they wouldn't be happy about it, but they'd do it.

Sori should just move to the outfield. His second base defense is awful and it's so much easier to play corner outfield which should help his arbitration numbers if he goes from 7000 errors to like 10 errors.

See, to me, it means nothing that he's an established player... I'm not saying that he should be forced to move positions. But the fact that he won't even consider it, is a disrespect to the team and the game of baseball.. Sure, I can go and look for employment somewhere else, but so can he... Get off your arse and go play for an Independent League.. Far fetched? Sure, but to say he can't go anywhere else is wrong.. He can even do what the almighty Miguel Tejada did and ask for a trade. No one is stopping him from doing that.

At what point did Major League players become so damn cocky, that just asking them to move positions wasn't acceptable? I guarantee you that if a team asked a guy like Todd Helton or Sean Casey to move positions, they wouldn't be happy about it, but they'd do it.

Let's put this in terms you may understand more.

What if the Giants told Barry Bonds they needed him to move to First Base, do you think he would? Hell no.

Would you tell Barry to get his head out of his, 'arse'?

The thing is, people see this as being in the same company and moving from one cubicle to another. It's not. It's like working for IBM, and all of a sudden you're cast off from Technology Development to the Sales Department at the same salary, without your consent. You don't know anything about sales, why would you be put there? Sure, you could learn, but you're one of the biggest names in the Technology aspect of the world. Would you be comfortable being sent off to sales, especially when you know as well as the company knows that there are plenty of other competitors that wouldn't mind having you as one of their IT guys?

See, that's what I don't agree with. Had he gone from baseball to basketball, it'd be a completely different ball game. He's still playing the game he knows. He still gets to hit, which doesn't change when you switch positions.. As an ex-player myself (although not professional), while a different position is a big change, it's not that far fetched. I've played every position throughout my life... Why? Because I've played for so long, that either by chance, or want, I've ended up everywhere. I guarantee you that in college or the minors, he played the outfield at some point. The only valid argument you'd have here is if they had asked him to either catch or pitch.. But from 2b to the OF.. please....

Let's put this in terms you may understand more.

What if the Giants told Barry Bonds they needed him to move to First Base, do you think he would? Hell no.

Would you tell Barry to get his head out of his, 'arse'?

Then I think he should do it.. It was actually discussed when his knees were getting really bad.. If he had good knees, absolutely, I think he should move... If he said no, then yes, I'd tell him to get his head out of his arse.. He only makes up 1/25 of that team. I don't care how superior he is to the rest of the guys. One guy that refuses to do something for the team, can ruin an entire team's chemistry.

See, that's what I don't agree with. Had he gone from baseball to basketball, it'd be a completely different ball game. He's still playing the game he knows. He still gets to hit, which doesn't change when you switch positions.. As an ex-player myself (although not professional), while a different position is a big change, it's not that far fetched. I've played every position throughout my life... Why? Because I've played for so long, that either by chance, or want, I've ended up everywhere. I guarantee you that college or the minors, he played the outfield at some point. The only valid arguement you'd have here is if they had asked him to either catch or pitch.. But from 2b to the OF.. please....

Yeah, comparing a professional baseball player who has played the last 7 years of his MLB career at one position to moving to another to you as a non professional player playing multiple positions is valid. :rolleyes:

To think that Bonds would just roll over and play a position he has never played before, in year 20 of his career and nearing the end of it, is absurd.

Yeah, comparing a professional baseball player who has played the last 7 years of his MLB career at one position to moving to another to you as a non professional player playing multiple positions is valid. :rolleyes:

To think that Bonds would just roll over and play a position he has never played before, in year 20 of his career and nearing the end of it, is absurd.

No dude, I'm not comparing him to me. I'm just trying to point out the fact, that as a professional baseball player, chances are he's played the outfield before at some point in his life. It should not be completely foreign to him.

And I don't think Barry would do it. He probably wouldn't.. First off, his knees wouldn't be able to handle the quickness a firstbaseman needs. But if he were healthy, I would expect him to at least consider it. That's all I'm saying.

the thing we have to recall also is that you and I are often not bound with a contract. Soriano cant go shopping his wares to anyone he wishes right now.

I dont agree with Soriano and it would be interesting to see what would happen if they tell him to learn hte outfield, but we will see what happens.

Marlins_Giants, the jump to the OF from 2B is a very drastic one. Maybe not to a baseball renaissance man as yourself, but to someone who has played second base their entire careers it's very drastic. A change from second to short in and of itself would be drastic, but he's not only switching there; he'd be going to the outfield. Do I think he should do it? Yes. But to come down on him and criticize him for not wanting to do I think is a bit out of line.

The man plays baseball, yes. And once you get over the fact that he gets paid to do what you and I do for love of the game on the weekends, you have to look at this in the context of the move. Moving to anywhere in the outfield, especially centerfield if that is indeed where he would be heading, is a huge shift from playing second base. Is this something that is impossible? No. But the change is drastic. I think the switching of departments comparison is fair because while you're still using part of the knowledge you've acrued (hitting vs building/selling technology) you would have to adapt to a completely different way of working (fielding grounders/double plays/limited ground vs flyballs/relays/way more ground to cover) in baseball as you would in the hypothetical of working for IBM (building technology vs having to sell it and pitch it). Over time it may be the better move, but one must be able to at least comprehend where Soriano is coming from here.

Thanks for the necessary sarcastic one-liner..

Anyways, what bothers me the most, is the fact that he won't even consider it. I haven't even read anything regarding the team contacting him and asking him to move positions. At this point, he's making an assumption and already replying publicly to it.

You know what, it's December. Start shagging fly balls, Soriano... You have 4 months til Opening Day. If you're that talented of a baseball player, you'll learn how to read the ball off a bat in the OF. It's not that hard. 2b is harder. If the switch were the other way, I may understand where he's coming from.

I don't doubt Soriano would have any more problems in the outfield, but he stands a lot to lose in free agency, in which he'll be seeking a multi-year contract, next year by agreeing to this decision by a team who is renting him this one year.

Anyways, what bothers me the most, is the fact that he won't even consider it. I haven't even read anything regarding the team contacting him and asking him to move positions. At this point, he's making an assumption and already replying publicly to it.

Bowden's already made the announcement. When Soriano reacted. Bowden was asked for his response, and he asked Soriano to suck it up like A-Rod did.

Again, things that could have been discussed before the deal.

Sori should just move to the outfield. His second base defense is awful and it's so much easier to play corner outfield which should help his arbitration numbers if he goes from 7000 errors to like 10 errors.

Yeah but his bat wouldn't be nearly as valuable in the OF - his numbers wouldn't look nearly as favorable compared to other players in LF than at 2B. He could lose some money even though his fielding would probably improve.

Of course some arbitrators are stupid and look primarily at stats like RBI's anyway, so who knows the degree of difference it would make.

Yeah but his bat wouldn't be nearly as valuable in the OF - his numbers wouldn't look nearly as favorable compared to other players in LF than at 2B. He could lose some money even though his fielding would probably improve.

Of course some arbitrators are stupid and look primarily at stats like RBI's anyway, so who knows the degree of difference it would make.

He's not gonna hit many HRs in RFK, but let's assume his career average is in the high 30s which is still damn good for a corner OF, so I don't think he'd be hurt that much. It's more staggering at 2B because other than him, it's basically Cantu, Utley, and Kent that can hit for power.