How many want the Marlins to guarantee their place in S. FL?

rferry

For me, my #1 priority is to keep the Marlins in South Florida. Hate me if want to

I don't hate you. I'm just disappointed you'd sell out the Marlins and your own dreams of a championship contender.

I think I understand your position as Marlins' fans. Last year was one of the best summers of my life, and I didn't even root for the Nats. I hope you understand there are others who have a stake in this franchise and wish for more. And thus accept that Loria needs to seek out other options in South Florida and elsewhere.

For me, my #1 priority is to keep the Marlins in South Florida. Hate me if want to

I don't hate you. I'm just disappointed you'd sell out the Marlins and your own dreams of a championship contender.

I think I understand your position as Marlins' fans. Last year was one of the best summers of my life, and I didn't even root for the Nats. I hope you understand there are others who have a stake in this franchise and wish for more. And thus accept that Loria needs to seek out other options in South Florida and elsewhere.

No. There are so many ways to stop a move from happening AND make a profit (especially with this sh*t roster). It's easier just to let them move...

But now is the time to decided between what is right and what is easy.

Umm NO. somewhere in southflorida is fine, but not elsewhere. If you want the marlins out of south florida then you are NOT a marlins fan, period.

Exactly, there are many options. I just hope some of you realize that it is in neither Loria or a lot of Marlins fans' interests to lock us all into the same position we've been in since the lease turned this club into a small-revenue club. We've all experienced 98-05. Just because things seem hopeless is no reason to jump at any resolution that dooms us all to decades of that.

Exactly, there are many options. I just hope some of you realize that it is in neither Loria or a lot of Marlins fans' interests to lock us all into the same position we've been in since the lease turned this club into a small-revenue club. We've all experienced 98-05. Just because things seem hopeless is no reason to jump at any resolution that dooms us all to decades of that.

Decades? Surely if the situation was bad for a prolongues period, the league would step in--ESPECIALLY after Selig is gone.

Decades? Surely if the situation was bad for a prolongues period, the league would step in--ESPECIALLY after Selig is gone.

OK, let's run with that. If the situation is so bad, what will MLB do? Ask for a new stadium? Will the city and state build it? I don't see it. And if that new ballpark was just built, no way in hell. So, years down the road into this, we'll be in the same position, but now with MLB involved? A MLB operated by much the same principals that the remaining owners put ito place and new owners who fought like hell to be a part of?

There was a chance to fix this 2 years ago. Some folks put it off and now the stadium costs has risen and the gap is double to triple the original disagreement. We wait another 3 years, and the Marlins may be gone.

Time is not on our side.

I just want what 90% of all MLB cities get; a team that isn't threatening to leave every other year, an owner that can actually afford to field the team, a team President that has a resume that justifies the position, a team that is competitive and a stadium (baseball only and pracitcal for the south Florida fan during typical summer weather in S. Fla (dome or retractable roof)) that allows the owner to turn a profit and keep/attracted some superstar quality players so that the MLB experience is something special.

It's unfortunate that being a Marlin's fan is similar to being that red headed stepchild. We have been abused for so long that we actually blame ourselves for what is happening. To me that is so sad! It's not the fans fault at all in this, there is interest in this team and baseball can thrive in South Florida with the right owner.

PLEASE SELL THIS TEAM MR. LORIA!!!! :banghead

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Uh, this is the first thread RFerry has started on the issue. He's stated his opinion a lot but only in response to others.

I don't see it as "bludgeoning" at all.

Most people can't deal with a dissenting viewpoint.

Here's where I'm at on this issue. If they can't make it work here then I don't really care what happens. That's entirely selfish and unfair & probably makes me a sh*tty fan, I freely admit it. If the ownership can only keep from losing money by sending out a low-payroll team, so be it. I'd take that over moving.

Either:

a) Work out a stadium deal,

b) live with the one you've got, or

c) sell the team.

Don't buy my hometown team then take it away from me because you found a more favorable financial situation elsewhere. I understand the fan base is terrible down here but you knew that before you bought it. I like Jeffrey Loria but I don't really give a damn whether he makes money from this team or not. Sure I want them to be successful, but not if it means skipping town.

If they move out of state I will still be a fan, but if I can't experience it in person my interest fades over time. Same thing happens when I move away from a team. I was a huge Reds fan when I lived in Cincy, then moved to Jacksonville & although I still rooted for the Reds it became less & less each year.

I'd rather them stay & be a low-budget franchise for a while if that's the only alternative. I'm an underdog guy anyway.

It's not the fans fault at all in this

I don't think anyone has blamed the fans. Maybe some media personalities who either foolishly believe attendance means anything, dislikes South Florida or is trying to stir something up.

While Marlins officials care about fan support, they are only raising the issue to scare Florida's politicians into taking the same steps 90% of other major league cities have for the past 50 years. That threat is real, but their overt concern over the market is just a red herring. In this day and age, a professional sports market is defined by the local politicians, broadcasters and businesses' support the team. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

I want a guarantee the Marlins will stay in Florida , I think most fans myself included would tolerate the firesale if the cloud of relocation werent hanging over our heads. If the team moves out of Florida they are no longer the Marlins simple as that I could careless about Loria's financial prospects in a different city or if Loria's new team won 20 championships in a row because they are no longer the Florida Marlins.

Herein lies the difference between the in market fan and the out of market fan. The out of market fan, like Rferry, wants the team to be as competitive and profitable as they can be, and doesn't care if that's in SoFla or elsewhere. His experience as an out of market fan doesn't change. I can understand where he's coming from as a fan of the Marlins. I think it's a misguided thought however. I would ask RFerry to think about what made him a fan of the Marlins to begin with. To think about what keeps him a fan? And why would his fandom of the Florida Marlins necessarily carry over to the Portland Sea Otters(for example). There are plenty of other franchises out there that have prospects and may be competitive in 2 years. What would make him root for the Sea Otters, with a whole new cast of players from previous years? Rferry states this past summer was a good one. I suspect because he had a home team and live games to attend. I do suspect that he was never an Expos fan, and now, since it's his hometown team, is naturally a Nationals fan as well as a Marlins fan.

For me....I want a hometown team. Games I can attend and bring my children to. Games that are regularly televised. I'd have the Marlins stay under any circumstance. I do think that they can be competitive and profitable under the right stadium deal with a new stadium. The deal is out there. It just needs to be made. But in the end, to answer his loaded question, I'd have them stay under any circumstance. If they leave, they are no longer the Marlins and I am no longer a fan.

How is that selling out the Marlins when they would no longer even be the Marlins? We wouldn't even be rooting for the laundry! You are suggesting we simply root for and keep our loyalties with the ownership and front office.

The way you posed your question and presented those scenarios - that no one is hoping for - seems designed to put local fans in a bad light. As others have pointed out, the worst part of all this for us is not the firesale, it's the thought of watching a team develop only to have it ripped away and lose MLB in S. Fla.

We are rooting for the Marlins whether they are owned by Wayne, John Henry, Loria/Samson or Joe Blow. You are rooting for the current owners.