Wayne's 'SuperSite' plan put on hold

MarlinatPenn

'SuperSite' plan put on hold

By Jeff Darlington

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, December 12, 2005

SAN DIEGO ? The Dolphins' long-range plans to enhance the area around Dolphins Stadium with hotels, restaurants and retail shops have been put on hold, Dolphins CEO Joe Bailey said Sunday. Instead, the organization will focus on improving the stadium itself.

Team owner Wayne Huizenga had discussed making the stadium area a "SuperSite," but that plan depended on the NFL agreeing to make the stadium part of a guaranteed Super Bowl rotation. Huizenga envisioned the Super Bowl being played there every four years.

The Super Bowl already is scheduled to be played at Dolphins Stadium in 2007 and 2010, but the NFL has not acted on the request for a set rotation.

"The fact of the matter is, the SuperSite ? the concept, at least ? has been shelved for the time being," Bailey said. "The reason why it has been put on the back burner is because in order for us to be able to do it from an economic standpoint, we have to get a permanent rotation of Super Bowls.

"That was the only way we could justify it from a business perspective."

The plans to enhance the stadiums include the addition of two large, high-definition scoreboards.

"We're really focused on making that stadium a fabulous place," Bailey said. "These are enhancements that we think will create the stadium into what it should be and can be ? and that is a world-class, entertainment sports venue."

Other improvements to the stadium will include widening the concourses.

Huizenga has been talking to the Marlins about possibly providing land for a baseball-only stadium adjacent to Dolphins Stadium. The offer has been reported to be for 15 acres.

It seems like an awful stretch that the NFL would actually grant Wayne a Super Bowl every 4 years just so he could base his SuperSite plan around it. Other NFL cities would throw an absolute fit. Even if Miami did get the game an average of once every 4 or 5 years, they're sure as hell not going to sign an agreement guaranteeing it.

Maybe he's focusing on upgrades to Dolphins Stadium to enhance his chances of getting the SuperBowl agreement, but I think he's dreaming.

This is definitely not good news as far as negotiating with the Marlins for a new stadium is concerned.

The Marlins are the reason the 'SuperSite' is on hold. Huizenga really wants them to stay, and he won't make it unless they do stay.

Obviously. And he is evidently scrapping the idea for the time being and focusing on improving DS. Which indicates there may have been an impasse in the negotiations with the Marlins. Unless this is just some ploy by Huizenga to gain a better bargaining position, as some have suggested.

Huh? Any strengthening of Huizenga's resolve is not good for the Marlins in negotiations.

Wayne's wanted this Wayne's World structure for far too long for him to simply walk away from it.

Wayne saying that he's "putting it on hold" is like the Marlins saying they want to relocate; both moves were simply done to expedite the negotiating process. Not to say they're empty threats, but they're clearly being used with the intention of bringing about action elsewhere.

The Marlins want a commitment from Florida, Wayne wants a commitment from the Marlins...hence the posturing on the part of both parties.

I could be completely wrong (watching hundreds standing in unison screaming "Yes!!!!!") but I suspect it has little if anything to do with the Marlins and more to do with the inability to come to terms with the NFL over guaranteeing a Super Bowl every four years.

So big is the Super Bowl, and so big are the revenues and cash flow, that it in itself almost financially demands the construction Wayne's World. The Marlins are just the frosting on the cake.

I could be completely wrong (watching hundreds standing in unison screaming "Yes!!!!!") but I suspect it has little if anything to do with the Marlins and more to do with the inability to come to terms with the NFL over guaranteeing a Super Bowl every four years.

So big is the Super Bowl, and so big are the revenues and cash flow, that it in itself almost financially demands the construction Wayne's World. The Marlins are just the frosting on the cake.

I disagree, Wayne is looking for a gurantee spot in the rotation. So let's say he gets his way and they give SouthFlorida the Super Bowl once every 4 year. I don't think the Fish are just the frosting on the Cake, they are a bigger Fish than the Dolphins and the SB in this scenario

Could be true. But Wayne doesn't seem to have any leverage at all in negotiations with the NFL. Saying the SuperSite is on hold doesn't do anything for Wayne in his quest for getting a guaranteed Super Bowl every four years.

So, in effect, what you're saying is that if the NFL doesn't approve this plan then Wayne really doesn't stand to gain much from having the Marlins around? Or am I misunderstanding you?

"I disagree..."

Only 99 more to go, everyone get in line.

:D

I understand completely what you're saying regarding revenue from football/the Superbowl, but 81 home games, and guaranteeing that there is a tenant on Wayne's property for every month except for February and March is more than just icing. If anything, the Super Bowl once every four years is the icing.

Well, let's see. 25K fans for 81 events per year for 4 years vs. 1 SuperBowl event.

That's 8.1 million fans vs. 80,000 fans.

While I agree a SuperBowl is likely to incite quite a bit more spending in Wayne's World than than a baseball game, would it really have fans spending 100 times as much on average? Doubtful.

Plus consider it's the baseball draw 6 months per year that is more likely to to give Wayne's World the inertia to make it a popular year-round destination. And let's face it, that's what is necessary to make it a success.

Wayne clearly needs the Marlins on-site to make it work.

The Marlin's best approach would be to recognize this (as I'm sure they do) and work in good faith to forge an arrangement where everyone benefits.

i look at it like this:

wayne put's the super site on hold for now.he joins forces with the marlins and dade county to help build the marlins new ballpark.then construction begins and the necessary funds are available in case of overruns. :hat

then he resumes with his plans for the supersite.he can show the banks and sponsors that the combination of 81 baseball games couples with 8 dolphin games not including playoffs,will show how many sports fans will be traveling through the area and will need his hotels and resturaunts.

he will be able to borrow more mony from the banks and more sponsors will want in.

that must be whya he's offering the land and the $50 million.

why else would the supersite be on hold and his offer remains on the table?