Pat Riley new coach of Miami Heat

Hotcorner

Guest marlins02

*starts bulls*** chant*

this is so f***ing wrong, let the man have a healthy shaq for a while. also stan had been an assistant here since riley took over in 95, he deserved much more than this bulls*** especially after being 2 injuries away from the finals last year and seeing what this team did in 04.

Source: Heat coach Van Gundy resigns

Associated Press

MIAMI -- Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy is resigning today, citing personal family reasons.

A team official spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hasn't been revealed publicly. The source told The Associated Press that Van Gundy's decision would be announced later this morning.

Van Gundy led the team to the best record in the Eastern Conference a season ago.

It's not clear who would replace him, but there are indications that former Heat coach Pat Riley could return to the sideline. Riley named Van Gundy as his successor a little more than two years ago. The Heat are 11-10 this season. Shaquille O'Neal returned Sunday night in an OT win against the Wizards after missing 18 games with a sprained ankle.

Miami leads the Southeast Division by two games over Orlando and Washington.

As shocked as I am, I'm not surprised. If that makes any sense, haha. Can somebody say "setup"?

Guest marlins02

its about time, Van Gundy is not the man for this job..

agreed, he's done nothing more than rally a young team from a disastrous 0-7 start to a shot away of forcing a game 7 in the conference semis and was a dwyane wade/shaq injury away from the finals last year. oh and yeah shaq's been hurt all year but he still got antoine walker and we all know how amazing antoine walker is. :rolleyes:

*starts bulls*** chant*

this is so f***ing wrong, let the man have a healthy shaq for a while. also stan had been an assistant here since riley took over in 95, he deserved much more than this bulls*** especially after being 2 injuries away from the finals last year and seeing what this team did in 04.

They were letting him. It was his own personal decision. Read more of the article man before blowing a gasket.

agreed, he's done nothing more than rally a young team from a disastrous 0-7 start to a shot away of forcing a game 7 in the conference semis and was a dwyane wade/shaq injury away from the finals last year. oh and yeah shaq's been hurt all year but he still got antoine walker and we all know how amazing antoine walker is. :rolleyes:

True statement. I am really upset that SVG will be stepping down. The rumors and pressure must have gotten the best of him. Living with the anxiety that SVG must be going through is no fun.

I hope Pat Riley has a positive effect on this team.

Hmm, right after Shaq returns. Coincidence? :mischief2

This had to have been agreed (hopefully mutually), probably even before the season. This is just way too random and the fact that the speculation wouldn't stop even when Riley denied it was suspicious. Anyhoo, I just wanna thank SVG for turning the team around and all his contributions. I'm sure every Heat fan appreciates it or definitely should. I'm way excited for Pat to return to the sidelines though (which should be the case). I mean I love myself some Stan but Riley's always been my man. (haha that rhymed )

Gregg Popovich took over the helms of the Spurs in 1997 the day David Robinson was returning from injury.

Only later was it revealed the players themselves had gone to pop and said, we dont want Bob Hill anymore, fire him.

And the rest as they say is history.

If this wasnt Van Gundy's decision, you had better believe Shaq and Wade were in the know all along.

I think there is more to this story that is not being told as far as Van Gundy "stepping down", but anyhow in the long term this move could be benefitial for the Heat. Van Gundy has accepted another position within the organization according to the AP story, so at least he is still in the family.

I just hope Riles plays Fitch and Simien how Van Gundy was. Probably not Simien as much because Shaq is back but Fitch 0wnZ me.

As for your boy Fitch....if all holds up, Fitch will be gone within the week. The Heat has been working out Jason "Jay" Williams formerly of Duke and might be offering him a contract to be the 3rd stringer

As glad as I am for what Stan Van Gundy's done, I welcome Pat Riley back. I'm sure he can inspire this team to play defense every once in a while, or put the best three point shooter in the game when you need long range shots, or have the best defensive player on the court when you need defense, among other things. SVG was a cool dude but Riley will command a lot more respect from his players and will have full control of the team. If they can't win the title now they'll never win it.

As glad as I am for what Stan Van Gundy's done, I welcome Pat Riley back. I'm sure he can inspire this team to play defense every once in a while, or put the best three point shooter in the game when you need long range shots, or have the best defensive player on the court when you need defense, among other things. SVG was a cool dude but Riley will command a lot more respect from his players and will have full control of the team. If they can't win the title now they'll never win it.

if that increased mentality for defense invovles sticking posey on the best offensive player then you are doing good.

As for your boy Fitch....if all holds up, Fitch will be gone within the week. The Heat has been working out Jason "Jay" Williams formerly of Duke and might be offering him a contract to be the 3rd stringer

God that would piss me off. I know bench players usually don't last but they're always fan favorites. I supported Eddie House and Rasual Butler and I was so sad when they both left. This year it's Gerald Fitch, he better not go anywhere.

if that increased mentality for defense invovles sticking posey on the best offensive player then you are doing good.Yes, and also doing the little things with defensive matchups. Like letting (for my money) the best defensive player in basketball, Alonzo Mourning, cover Tim Duncan instead of casting him off to cover Muhammed while Udonis Haslem gets his ass handed to him because he's too short to be covering Duncan.