Harris drop out of Florida Senate race?

Flying_Mollusk

Goodbye Katherine?

Republican insiders believe Rep. Katherine Harris, with her fund- raising in the dumps and her staff constantly in flux, may drop out of the U.S. Senate race in Florida against first-term Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson.

Harris became a national personality as Florida secretary of state, supporting George W. Bush during the 2000 presidential recount. With her campaign repeatedly turning over its senior staffers, Harris may not even raise $500,000 this quarter. A recent poll shows her trailing Nelson by 16 percentage points, leading some Republican members of Congress and state legislators in Florida to worry about their own re-election in 2006. A footnote: Some GOP fund-raisers believe Rep. Mark Foley may jump into the Senate race to replace Harris. Foley has $2.35 million cash on hand, compared with Harris' $470,000. Nelson had $6.5 million cash on hand as of Sept. 30.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak/cst-edt-novak11.html

Good news..she is denying that she will drop out.

TALLAHASSEE -- U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris on Monday denied a claim by syndicated columnist Robert Novak that she might abandon her 2006 bid for the U.S. Senate.

"The statements in Mr. Novak's column are completely absurd," Harris, R-Longboat Key, said in a statement. "I am in this campaign until Election Day next November."

Novak wrote Sunday that unnamed Republican insiders think that Harris, whose campaign against Democratic U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson has gotten off to a rocky start, could drop out of the race.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...headlines-state

She sucks, and I doubt she would have been able to stand up to Nelson, a real politician.

I have never heard anyone call Nelson a real politician , he is a lightweight who is not a good campaigner, and his poll numbers from unbiased polls are low(in terms of personal approval and should he be re-elected). The one thing and the most important thing he has going for him is Harris is his opponent and she basically is an emptyheaded bimbo .....If Foley or anyone with the least bit of credibility ran on the Republican side Nelson would be in a tough race. He better pray Tubby aka Jeb doesnt enter the race because polling shows he would easily beat Nelson. The one other thing Nelson has going for him is all of Florida is Republican I personally think people in this state want a voice of opposition so we are not truly politically monolithic ...kind like how Mass almost always elects Republican governor.

The one other thing Nelson has going for him is all of Florida is Republican

Huh?

There are 4.2 million registered democrats in Florida and 3.9 million registered Republicans. The state has been the core swing state in the last two major elections. How can you say its Republican?

But yeah, Nelson isnt the best campaigner. If anything, he gets punished for not being flashy and just being a civil servant.

Huh?

There are 4.2 million registered democrats in Florida and 3.9 million registered Republicans. The state has been the core swing state in the last two major elections. How can you say its Republican?

But yeah, Nelson isnt the best campaigner. If anything, he gets punished for not being flashy and just being a civil servant.

statewide elected officials(from gov to insurance commisioner) all republican except Nelson , the US house delegation overwhelmingly republican , the state senate republican , the state house overwhelmingly republican. I meant elected officials but on your point of registered voters the numbers are misleading because many counties in the panhandle registered democrats but are "southern conservative democrats" who usually vote republican. Even Duval i think is still majority democrat yet Republicans carry duval almost 60-40. I would characterize Florida as leans Republican at the Presidential level. Since 1980 Florida has gone democratic only in 1996

Huh?

statewide elected officials(from gov to insurance commisioner) all republican except Nelson , the US house delegation overwhelmingly republican , the state senate republican , the state house overwhelmingly republican. I meant elected officials but on your point of registered voters the numbers are misleading because many counties in the panhandle registered democrats but are "southern conservative democrats" who usually vote republican. Even Duval i think is still majority democrat yet Republicans carry duval almost 60-40. I would characterize Florida as leans Republican at the Presidential level. Since 1980 Florida has gone democratic only in 1996

Yeah but by that characterization, you could call the USA a Republican country. Elected offices can go in swings and Jeb Bush has been pretty effective at bringing Republican success to the state. But that doesnt make it a Republican state. Republican success also has more to do with the state democratic party's failures. Its hard for a state to be solid Republican and have 48% vote for Kerry. Heck, why would a solid Republican state pass minimum wage increases?

National voting is more indicitive of political views of a state and in that sense Florida is a moderate swing state. Elected office has much more to do with success and failures of the parties and poltical entities in the state and not about the political views of the state.

To further prove that theory, look at these states whose state houses and senates are controlled by democrats:

Alabama, Arkansas, Kentuck(house), Louisianna, and North Carolina. Youd be hard pressed to convince me that those are solid democratic states.

You might say that democratic elected officials there are more moderate/conservative. But you would be basing that on how they vote in national elections would you not? Hence that would prove Florida to be a moderate state.