Tookie

Iowa

Im really torn on this.

4 deaths is 4 deaths. He may be reformed but that still doesnt cover up what he did do...and the victims families want and deserve that justice.

On the other hand, he has done alot of good recently and giving him life without parole is not really giving him a pass and him living the rest of his natural life will probably do more good then his death tonight will.

Its a sensitive and complex issue.

WHO IS STAN TOOKIE WILLIAMS?

Stan is a peacemaker on death row.

He has been nominated 5 times for the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in helping to prevent gang violence.

He has been nominated four times for the Nobel Literature Prize for his children's books that warn young people about the pitfalls of joining a gang and exposes them to alternatives.

He maintains innocence of the crimes he was accused of, and faced racist discrimination throughout his trial. One issue highlighted the fact that the prosecutor in Tookie's original case removed three African-American jurors from the jury. During Stan's trial, this prosecutor made racially-coded remarks during his closing argument, comparing Stan during the trial to a Bengal tiger in the zoo and stating that a black community - South Central Los Angeles - was equivalent to the natural "habitat" of a Bengal Tiger.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled against Tookie on his final appeal and set his execution date for December 13. Thus they disregarded 9 of the 24 Ninth Circuit Court judges' assertion that the District Attorney at Tookie's trial employed "reprehensible and unconstitutional" racist tactics, using animal-in-a-jungle metaphors to refer to Tookie and to the South Central environment in which he lived. This landmark ruling means that minorities can now legally be rejected from juries based on race. This is now the law of the land.

link

Can you provide an explanation here? I don't know who that is.

How's the rock you have been living under?

Uh...no offense, but it's not such huge news that everyone knows about it. Chill with the attitude bitch.

It's been an on going news story and the top news story the past 48 hours....'bitch'.

He's done a lot of bad things in his life-time. I'm not big into this "eye for an eye" mentality with the death penalty, generally I'm only in favor of it when a person has clearly shown an inability to reform, which seemingly is not the case here.

However, he has directly lead to four deaths and indirectly lead to countless others. This is a hard call...can't really say that you're wrong for arguing either side on this one.

Can you provide an explanation here? I don't know who that is.

How's the rock you have been living under?

Uh...no offense, but it's not such huge news that everyone knows about it. Chill with the attitude bitch.

It's been an on going news story and the top news story the past 48 hours....'bitch'.

The only ongoing news story that I've seen in the past 48 hours is the constant movement of my bowels as I sit latched to my chair, studying for exams. It tookie a long time to get all this info in my head

/lame

Yeah this has been really difficult. It wasnt just that he killed 4 people. It was the circumstances surrounding the murders. He shot one guy in the back while he lay on the ground. He shot the immigrant family over 100 measly dollars. These were some heinous crimes.

But he really turned himself around. He seems like a smart well intentioned person. I think its interesting that he mantains his innocence despite the fact that, had he said he did it a while before this and repented for it, he might have had a better shot of getting out.

One interesting factor that goes againt him-he wont help law enforcement by providing critical information to help them fight the crips. Makes you wonder.

Well I knew vaguely about the situation before last night, but I researched a bit and found out more info on Tookie and hsi alleged crimes. I think Schwarzenneger (sp) was right to deny him clemency. A man guilty of crimes must first admit to those crimes in order to be eligible for 'redemption'

He deserves the death penalty, i heard some one say he would laugh at how the guy he shot in the back was crying before he died.

At what time is the execution?

Done. I don't know the exact time, but it was around 12:45 (PT?) last night.

Thanks for the info!

I like Gov. Schwartzanneger's words " Without an apology and atonement for these senseless and brutal killings, there can be no redemption."

Well, he's dead now, but I would have let him rot in jail.

I'll let people rot in jail as soon as they start appealing rulings where they would prefer to be placed on death row than on prison for life.

Solid case against him, assuming the long shot that he wasn't framed. The shotgun shells and Sim's testimony, who got life in prison, seem pretty strong.

[/font]

Here are highlights of the testimony and evidence against Williams:

Alfred Coward and Tony Sims each testified at separate trials that they participated in the 7-Eleven robbery on Feb. 28, 1979. They said they saw Williams take Albert Owens into a storage room and shoot him twice in the back with a shotgun.

Coward was granted immunity for testifying at Williams' trial.

Sims, who was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison, said he went along with the robbery because he feared Williams.

"I knew if I wouldn't have went in the store, he probably would have did something to me. Like killed me or something," Sims testified during Williams' trial.

In 1979, Williams was living with James and Ester Garrett. The couple testified that Williams told them information about the three murders at the Brookhaven Motel only the killer would know.

Shotgun shells recovered at the Brookhaven Motel were traced to a shotgun purchased by Williams in 1974.

The shotgun was given to police by the Garretts, who said Williams put it beneath their bed.

Sam Coleman, who was with Williams when he was picked up by police after the slayings, testified Williams bragged about killing three people who lived on Vermont Street the location of the Brookhaven Motel. Coleman later claimed the testimony was coerced by police, but a three-judge panel on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected that claim.

George Oglesby, a fellow inmate at the Los Angeles County Jail and a jailhouse informant, testified that Williams came up with an elaborate escape plan, which included using dynamite to blow up the van taking prisoners from jail to court. The plan called for killing guards and other inmates. Handwritten notes by Williams including his trademark habit of using stars to dot his I's collaborated the story. Oglesby also testified that Williams admitted while in jail to committing the motel murders.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_3276316

One interesting factor that goes againt him-he wont help law enforcement by proving critical information to help them fight the crips. Makes you wonder.

This, his lack of atonement for the crimes, and the nature of his crimes (4 brutal murders) are the reasons I felt he should have been executed