Young, Bush and Hawk head AP All-America team

MrAndMrsFish

Vince Young can claim at least one victory over Southern California this season.

The Texas quarterback was selected to The Associated Press All-America team released Tuesday, relegating USC's Matt Leinart to second-team.

Young was runner-up in the Heisman Trophy voting to Trojans tailback Reggie Bush and was one of four Longhorns on the first team. Bush was one of three All-Americans from top-ranked USC and a unanimous first-team selection.

The real test for No. 2 Texas comes Jan. 4 in the Rose Bowl, when the Longhorns and Trojans play for the national title.

Young didn't hide his disappointed when Bush won the Heisman in a landslide on Saturday night.

"This should give me a little bit more edge to show the world what a good team the University of Texas is,'' he said.

Always dynamic on the move, Young proved he could topflight passer this season. He leads the nation in

efficiency rating (168.8) with 2,769 yards and 26 touchdown passes. He also leads the team with 850 yards rushing.

Texas offensive tackle Jonathan Scott also made the first team, along with teammates Michael Huff, who won the Thorpe Award as the nation's best defensive back, and defensive tackle Rodrique Wright.

Dwayne Jarrett and safety Darnell Bing were the other USC All-Americans.

Leinart was the All-America quarterback last season when he won the Heisman Trophy. This year he was third in the Heisman voting and lost out to Young for the top spot on the All-America team.

Notre Dame's Brady Quinn was the third-team quarterback.

USC and Texas led the way with seven players each receiving AP All-America mention.

Leinart was joined on the second team by guard Taitusi Latui. Tailback LenDale White and offensive tackle Sam Baker were on the third team.

USC has the No. 1 offense in the country, averaging 580 yards per game, and is the first team in NCAA history with two 1,000-yard rushers (Bush and White), a 3,000-yard passer (Leinart) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Jarrett).

"The special thing about our team is everybody's able to put their egos aside and focus on the team,'' Bush said.

Texas had three players on the third team ? linebacker Aaron Harris, guard Will Allen and tackle Justin Blalock.

Bush was an All-American as an all-purpose player in 2004. He and Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk were the only players to repeat as first-teamers.

Hawk and Bush were also the only unanimous first-team selection.

Penn State's Paul Posluszny and Alabama's DeMeco Ryans were the other All-American linebackers. Posluszny won the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker and the Bednarick Award, given to the top defensive player. Ryans won the Lott Trophy as top defensive player.

Hawk's Ohio State teammate, linebacker Bobby Carpenter, made third-team.

Penn State defensive end Tamba Hali gave the resurgent Nittany Lions two All-Americans. The last time Joe Paterno's team had multiple All-Americans was 1999, when linebackers LaVar Arrington and Brandon Short and defensive lineman Courtney Brown made the first team.

Penn State also placed offensive tackle Levi Brown and cornerback Alan Zemaitis on the second team.

Louisville's Elvis Dumervil, who led the nation in sacks (20) and forced fumbles (10) and Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata complete the All-America defensive line.

Virginia Tech cornerback Jimmy Williams and Georgia safety Greg Blue were the other first-team defensive backs.

Washington State's Jerome Harrison, who leads Division I-A with 1,900 yards rushing, was the other first-team running back with Bush.

Oregon State's Mike Hass, the nation's leader in receiving yards (139.3), went from a third-team selection last season to first-team this season.

The rest of the All-America offense includes Maryland tight end Vernon Davis, Auburn tackle Marcus McNeill, Georgia guard Max Jean-Gilles, Virginia tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Minnesota center Greg Eslinger.

UCLA's Maurice Drew was the all-purpose All-American. He led the nation in punt returns (29 ypr), and returned three for touchdowns.

Colorado's Mason Crosby is the kicker and Wake Forest's Ryan Plackemeier is the punter.

Notre Dame had three players on the second and third teams, including Quinn. Receiver Jeff Samardzija was a second-team choice, and safety Tom Zbikowski was a third-teamer.

The Pac-10 had the most first-team All-Americans with seven. The Big 12 had five. The Southeastern Conference, ACC and Big Ten each had four and the Big East one.

FULL TEAM

FIRST TEAM�

Offense�

Quarterback ? Vince Young, 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, junior,

Texas.

Running backs ? Reggie Bush, 6-0, 200, junior, Southern

California; Jerome Harrison, 5-10, 199, senior, Washington

State.

Wide receivers ? Dwayne Jarrett, 6-5, 210, sophomore,

Southern California; Mike Hass, 6-1, 210, senior, Oregon

State.

Tight end ? Vernon Davis, 6-3, 253, junior, Maryland.

Linemen ? Jonathan Scott, 6-7, 310, senior, Texas; Marcus

McNeill, 6-8, 335, senior, Auburn; Max Jean-Gilles, 6-4, 340,

senior, Georgia; D'Brickashaw Ferguson, 6-5, 295, senior,

Virginia.

Center ? Greg Eslinger, 6-3, 285, senior, Minnesota.

Kicker ? Mason Crosby, 6-2, 210, junior, Colorado.

All-purpose player ? Maurice Drew, 5-8, 205, junior, UCLA.�

Defense�

Linemen ? Tamba Hali, 6-3, 267, senior, Penn State; Haloti

Ngata, 6-4, 345, junior, Oregon; Elvis Dumervil, 6-0, 256,

senior, Louisville; Rodrique Wright, 6-5, 330, senior, Texas.

Linebackers ? A.J. Hawk, 6-1, 240, senior, Ohio State;

Paul Posluszny, 6-2, 229, junior, Penn State; DeMeco Ryans,

6-2, 232, senior, Alabama.

Defensive backs ? Jimmy Williams, 6-3, 215, senior,

Virginia Tech; Darnell Bing, 6-2, 220, junior, Southern

California; Michael Huff, 6-1, 205, senior, Texas; Greg Blue,

6-2, 215, senior, Georgia.

Punter ? Ryan Plackemeier, 6-3, 235, senior, Wake Forest

SECOND TEAM�

Offense�

Quarterback ? Matt Leinart, senior, Southern California.

Running backs ? DeAngelo Williams, senior, Memphis; Brian

Calhoun, junior, Wisconsin.

Wide receivers ? Jeff Samardzija, junior, Notre Dame;

Calvin Johnson, sophomore, Georgia Tech.

Tight end ? Marcedes Lewis, senior, UCLA.

Linemen ? Levi Brown, junior, Penn State; Mark

Setterstrom, senior, Minnesota; Eric Winston, senior, Miami;

Taitusi Lutui, senior, Southern California.

Center ? Dan Mozes, junior, West Virginia.

Kicker ? Alexis Serna, sophomore, Oregon State

All-purpose player ? Brandon Williams, senior, Wisconsin.�

Defense�

Linemen ? Mathias Kiwanuka, senior, Boston College; Darryl

Tapp, senior, Virginia Tech; Kyle Williams, senior, LSU;

Orien Harris, senior, Miami.

Linebackers ? Chad Greenway, senior, Iowa; D'Qwell

Jackson, senior, Maryland; Patrick Willis, junior,

Mississippi.

Defensive backs ? Dion Byrum, senior, Ohio University; Tye

Hill, senior, Clemson; Kelly Jennings, senior, Miami; Alan

Zemaitis, senior, Penn State.

Punter ? Dan Sepulveda, junior, Baylor.�

THIRD TEAM�

Quarterback ? Brady Quinn, junior, Notre Dame.

Running backs ? Laurence Maroney, junior, Minnesota;

LenDale White, junior, Southern California.

Wide receivers ? Greg Jennings, senior, Western Michigan;

Derek Hagan, senior, Arizona State.

Tight end ? Garrett Mills, senior, Tulsa.

Linemen ? Sam Baker, sophomore, Southern California;

Andrew Whitworth, senior, LSU; Justin Blalock, junior, Texas;

Will Allen, senior, Texas.

Kicker ? Brandon Coutu, sophomore, Georgia.�

All-purpose player ? Skyler Green, senior, LSU.�

Defense�

Linemen ? Brodrick Bunkley, senior, Florida State; Willie

Evans, senior, Mississippi State; Mario Williams, junior,

North Carolina State; Jesse Mahelona, senior, Tennessee.

Linebackers ? Aaron Harris, senior, Texas; Nick Reid,

senior, Kansas; Bobby Carpenter, senior, Ohio State.

Defensive backs ? Aaron Gipson, senior, Oregon; LaRon

Landry, junior, LSU; Ko Simpson, sophomore, South Carolina;

Tom Zbikowski, junior, Notre Dame.

Punter ? Danny Baugher, senior, Arizona.

..and Greenway will still have the best pro career out of all the LBs mentioned. He had about 40 more tackles than each of Poslusnky and Hawk.. but PSU and OSU had better years, so the outcome of the awards were expected.

Hodge not even making a team is laughable.

..but thats what you get when your team has a disappointing year.

Yeah, they don't really seem to use linebacker stats when determining awards.

As noticed by Posluszny winning the Butkus despite having all of 2 more tackles, 2 less for a loss, and 5 and a half less sacks.

And yes, I was just looking for a way to bring that up.

Greenway is a beast and I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the 5 Big 10 Linebackers mentioned thus far in this thread. They're all going to be very good at the next level.

..and Greenway will still have the best pro career out of all the LBs mentioned. He had about 40 more tackles than each of Poslusnky and Hawk.. but PSU and OSU had better years, so the outcome of the awards were expected.

Hodge not even making a team is laughable.

..but thats what you get when your team has a disappointing year.

Greenway: 112 tackles, 8 TFL, 2 Sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF

Hawk: 109 tackles, 13 TFL, 7.5 Sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF

40 more tackles, what?

I love how you just guarantee a better pro career when neither has played a game and Hawk is higher rated.

I was getting my stats from the Big Ten website where it has Chad with 147 tackles.. Sacking totals don't really mean much for us as we don't blitz... but w/e.

Greenway, Hawk, Poslusnky, Hodge and Carpenter.. will we ever see a better group of LB's in the Big Ten again?

I was getting my stats from the Big Ten website where it has Chad with 147 tackles.. Sacking totals don't really mean much for us as we don't blitz... but w/e.

I got mine here.

http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.com/spo...e.html#TEAM.IND

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.collegesports.com...6/teamcume.html

And Hawk wasnt OSU's blitzing linebacker either, that was Carpenter. Hawk had alot of coverage sacks.

I got mine here.

And Hawk wasnt OSU's blitzing linebacker either, that was Carpenter. Hawk had alot of coverage sacks.

Your stats give all of Hawk's stats for the entire season (11 games, 109 tackles), while the stats you have shown for Greenway are just those from conference games (8 games, 112 tackles) when in fact Chad is at 11 games, 147 tackles.

Complete Big Ten stats can be found here:

http://bigten.collegesports.com/sports/m-f...6/confstat.html

Conference only stats here:

http://bigten.collegesports.com/sports/m-f...6/confldrs.html

Might wanna take back that "research pwn". :mischief

I got mine here.

Your stats give all of Hawk's stats for the entire season (11 games, 109 tackles), while the stats shown for Greenway are just those from conference games (8 games, 112 tackles).

All Big Ten stats can be found here:

Interesting. Thanks.

Hawk still had the better year, but this is fruitless. You have said Greenway over Hawk before this season even started and I doubt you would give that up now even though the national awards, big ten, and all-american awards dont back that up.

I got mine here.

Your stats give all of Hawk's stats for the entire season (11 games, 109 tackles), while the stats you have shown for Greenway are just those from conference games (8 games, 112 tackles) when in fact Chad is at 11 games, 147 tackles.

Complete Big Ten stats can be found here:

Conference only stats here:

http://bigten.collegesports.com/sports/m-f...6/confldrs.html

Might wanna take back that "research pwn". :mischief

*transfers research pwn to Iowa*

I got mine here.

Your stats give all of Hawk's stats for the entire season (11 games, 109 tackles), while the stats shown for Greenway are just those from conference games (8 games, 112 tackles).

Interesting. Thanks.

Hawk still had the better year, but this is fruitless. You have said Greenway over Hawk before this season even started and I doubt you would give that up now even though the national awards, big ten, and all-american awards dont back that up.

Like I said, OSU had the better year.

I got mine here.

Interesting. Thanks.

Like I said, OSU had the better year.

Id like to know how many of Greenway's tackle numbers came from the Ball State and Northern Iowa.

Hawk played his best in the big games. In the Texas game he had 12 tackles, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, an interception, and 2 sacks.

Hawk is the bigger game changer and just being convinced that team success is what put him over the top is a copout.

Since when did teams draft on how good your college team was?

They don't. I'm just saying his stock lost momentum, so far, because of those factors. His stock will pick right back up during the combine and be the 2nd LB taken behind Hawk. Greenway has basically the same speed as Hawk, has better size and is amazing in pass coverage. I think Greenway's lack of ability to show he can get after the QB is what is keeping him behind Hawk since he has never been asked to do so. I will be interested to see how he does in blitz situations as a pro.

I would take Ryans over Greenway. I think he will be better at the next level. He have more of a head for the ball where greenway can be run at. Also Greenway has a heck of a LB with him named Hodge. Just like Hawk has Carpenter (hawk is still the best by far).

But Ryans had nobody and played in alot harder division in the SEC.

Greenway doesn't have a head for the ball? lol.. Your mock draft website knowledge is funny at times. You lost me in your last mockdraft when you had GB passing up Reggie Bush.

Ryans had nobody? Doesn't Bama have one of the best defenses in the country? I'm really not familiar with him anyway... but who you have next to you at LB doesn't mean as much for a LB as who you have in front of you on the line, and the Hawkeyes had 4 first year starters on the line. FWIW

And I wouldn't say the SEC is a lot better conference than the Big Ten.

I like them both.

I like how Greenway's skills have been compared to Brian Urlacher too. Id take either on my team though.

BTW, part of the reason Greenway did not look as good as last year is because a lot of key personnel and people were gone. It is hand and hand and pretty common sense; that would hurt almost any player, just look at Adrian Peterson.

I like them both.

I like how Greenway's skills have been compared to Brian Urlacher too. Id take either on my team though.

BTW, part of the reason Greenway did not look as good as last year is because a lot of key personnel and people were gone. It is hand and hand and pretty common sense; that would hurt almost any player, just look at Adrian Peterson.

Comparing a running back losing personnel and a linebacker losing personnel is comical.