Marlins in talks with Rays for Gathright, for Olsen? (merged)

MarlinatPenn

It'd be better if we could give up Nolasco or Pinto and also throw in Mitre since they want someone who can pitch now.

Pinto or Nolasco and a lesser position prospect for Gaithright and a lesser pitching prospect. Would the Rays say yes?

Doubtful from a team that rejected Andy Marte for Julio Lugo. They only want to make a trade if they are rapping another ball club. Different Gm same strategy. Last year they wanted Petit, Milledge, Ramirez, Sanchez for Huff, Baez, and Lugo

Jacobs was the main part. Petit was the throw in.....Unless I'm mistaken, they wanted Milledge and Jacobs?

Or was it Petit and Milledge?

So many trades, so hard to keep track. :confused

Wrong why would Petit be a throw in when he was ranked ahead of Jacobs in all the prospect lists and in all the top 100 list. One is 20-21 the other 20-25. If anything Jacobs was the throw in. In reality Psosumas was the throw but Jacobs was the secondary player in that deal. Kinda like Mitre in the Cubs deal.

LHP Renyel Pinto (Marlins) rung up 6 batters in 6 shutout innings of 2-hit ball to collect his 1st win of the VWL season, Pinto had been horrific before this stellar outing. He entered the contest allowing 8 runs in just one inning of work. His ERA is down to 10.29 now. The key for Pinto is always walks. He issued just 2 free passes yesterday after handing out 8 in one inning prior.

If Olsen is dealt its b/c they believe Pinto stuff is on par with Olsen

OT - A friend of mine saw Pinto (not petit) during ST. Said he shutout that Mariners during 6 IP and looked very good doing so, fwiw. I wouldn't be surprised to see him up with the squad quickly.

Ya, I'm high on Pinto.

How come u said he was a throw in not to long ago?

I believe we have differing views on 'throw in'.

To me a throw in is someone who gets the deal done. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Pinto was added to the deal to get it done. I've been sweet on him since day one.

LHP Renyel Pinto (Marlins) rung up 6 batters in 6 shutout innings of 2-hit ball to collect his 1st win of the VWL season, Pinto had been horrific before this stellar outing. He entered the contest allowing 8 runs in just one inning of work. His ERA is down to 10.29 now. The key for Pinto is always walks. He issued just 2 free passes yesterday after handing out 8 in one inning prior.

:o

Yuck.

Jacobs was the main part. Petit was the throw in.....Unless I'm mistaken, they wanted Milledge and Jacobs?

Wrong why would Petit be a throw in when he was ranked ahead of Jacobs in all the prospect lists and in all the top 100 list. One is 20-21 the other 20-25. If anything Jacobs was the throw in. In reality Psosumas was the throw but Jacobs was the secondary player in that deal. Kinda like Mitre in the Cubs deal.

Jacobs was the main part in the Delgado deal, the deal the Marlins ask for was Jacobs and Lastings Milledge

Jacobs was the main part in the Delgado deal, the deal the Marlins ask for was Jacobs and Lastings Milledge

And Lefty prevails...

:mischief

I'd rather not trade for Gathright at all, especially if the price is Olsen.

What he said. The guy is all speed and batting average. He's been said to be "almost average" at defending. Almost average isn't going to cut it at JRS/PPS/DS. Either he's lazy or lacks instincts in the field. Neither will be easy to correct.

.276 average, that's a lot more important to young players than OBP. If they can hit, they can learn how to be patient at the plate. But even if you're patient at the plate, you can't always learn to hit.

Typically players learn plate discipline far after first reaching the majors. It happens when they reach their 30s. Gathright's main skill - which is actually more of a physical tool than a baseball skill - will be severely hampered by the time he reaches that age.

I love how everyone here thinks they would make a great GM. Please stop saying that. We're talking about prospect--not proven players. You have no idea what will happen with Harvey, or Petit for that matter. We have WAY TOO MANY pitchers.

I suggest you follow your own logic. Why are you picking Petit and Harvey? Because despite performing well in the minors, they have questions about their game. Questions that are being asked by Marlins officials and every other team who may be interested in their services. Their value will be strained until they can make believers of people. They are prospects. Give them time to develop and grow out of these accusations of their talent.

I seriously don't understand this......

There is supposedly a "Premium" on young pitching, yet we can't get any decent young positional players unless we give up our best arms. Olsen is a top 25 prospect, where's Gaithright? If the premium thing was correct, shouldn't we be able to use decent young pitchers to get good young hitters? Seems like it's the other way around to me.

There are more teams looking for pitching prospects than teams looking for a centerfielder (or pick a position). On the other side of the same coin, there are also fewer good position player prospects and more pitching prospects that are available, thus hyping the value of the non-pitchers - abet for less consideration by some teams.

I know alittle bit of prospects cause I have been following them for the past 6-7 years. I have read alot about Renyel Pinto and from what I read and # his stuff in on par with Olsen. He has a 92-94 mph FB, a devasting change-up, and a potentially at times above average slider. But his control is a grade C- which is why some scouts think he is better suited for the bullpen and compare him to Author Rhodes. With all that said Olsen FB is 92-96, devasting slider, average change-up at times, 2 years younger than Pinto, and while not good control its best than Pinto. He is also one of the best lefty pitching prospects in the minor's opinion's are he is either top 3 and surely a top 5. With all that info a trade of Olsen straight up for Gathright is bad trade for the Marlins. We trade a lefty with #1 potential for a team's 5 best OF option who's potential is Juan Pierre and is 3 years older and not yet proven.

Now explain how can someone in there right mind make this trade? only thing I can think of is Olsen needs TJ and doctors think he will never pitch again.

Ya I jumped the gun with Harvey. I threw out the first name I could think of. My main point was that I'd give up Petit for Gathright. Maybe others wouldn't, but I'd do it.

Gaithright is horrible. I see no conceivable reason to think he's valuable enough for anyone in our top 15. I'd maybe give Bostick for him, but even he may have more upside with plain stuff.

Ya I jumped the gun with Harvey. I threw out the first name I could think of. My main point was that I'd give up Petit for Gathright. Maybe others wouldn't, but I'd do it.

Gaithright is horrible. I see no conceivable reason to think he's valuable enough for anyone in our top 15. I'd maybe give Bostick for him, but even he may have more upside with plain stuff.

I wouldn't go as far to say horrible, but to each his own...

if we trade scott olsen for gathwright it will be one of the stupider things we have ever done and it will make all the good trades so far this winter look like utter garbage.

gathright is a wildcard....i dont want to gamble with a pitcher who is at worst a 3 in the mlb once he fills out on a guy that has one given and thats speed.

i would rather have just kept pierre if this is the case.

No way no how Jacobs was the main player involved in this deal. Sure the Marlins prefered Milledge but if Milledge wasn't involved the deal wouldn't have gone through. The odds are and where greater that the Marlins would accept a deal with Petit and Banister or another prospect than Jacobs and Banister and another prospect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.