Dodgers Sign Mueller to 2-Year Contract

SuperAngels

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-121405dod...-home-headlines

Dodgers Sign Mueller to 2-Year Contract

By Tim Brown

Times Staff Writer

10:24 AM PST, December 14, 2005

Veteran third baseman Bill Mueller agreed today to a two-year contract with the Dodgers, joining another free agent, Rafael Furcal, on the revamped left side of the team's infield.

A capable defender who, as a switch-hitter, batted .295 last season, Mueller spent the past three seasons in Boston, where he was part of the Red Sox's 2004 World Series championship.

Mueller, 34, chose the Dodgers over what was believed to be a more lucrative offer from the Pittsburgh Pirates, and had considered a contract offer from the Chicago White Sox, but was not assured a starting position there.

The contract is pending a physical examination.

Mueller broke into the major leagues in 1996 and spent five seasons with the San Francisco Giants, where Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti was an assistant general manager. After two seasons with Chicago Cubs and a short return to San Francisco, Mueller signed in 2003 with Boston, where his manager was Grady Little, now with the Dodgers.

He was the American League batting champion in 2003, when he hit .326 and had 19 home runs and 85 RBI. He batted .283 in 110 games for the Red Sox in 2004, and .429 against the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.

A gap hitter who only twice in his career has hit more than 10 home runs, Mueller has 106 doubles in the past three seasons and has a career on-base percentage of .373.

In little more than a month, Colletti has taken significant steps to retool a roster that lost 91 games last season, and he continues to seek reinforcements in the outfield, starting rotation and first base.

If Colletti trades or offers no contract to Hee-Seop Choi, or otherwise upgrades first base, the similarities with last opening day's starting infield could begin and end with second baseman Jeff Kent.

Of the everyday players, only Kent and, perhaps, J.D. Drew are assured of starting in the same position they did April 5 in San Francisco. Shortstop Cesar Izturis is recovering from "Tommy John" surgery and is expected to play second base when he returns, around the All-Star break. If Colletti is able to acquire a corner outfielder, Drew is expected to be moved from right to center field.

Center fielder Milton Bradley has been traded to Oakland, third baseman Jose Valentin has signed with the New York Mets, and catcher Jason Phillips and first baseman Choi are being shopped. All were starters last opening day.

While he lost out on free-agent Brian Giles, Colletti has spoken to the agents for several available outfielders, including Johnny Damon, Preston Wilson, Reggie Sanders and Jacque Jones.

ugh...this is heartbreaking...he was my favorite player when he was with the Giants...he just did the one thing that could make me not like him anymore...

The Dodgers infield next year may consist of JT Snow, Jeff Kent, and Bill Mueller...

if the Dodgers were the only team to pursue him or offered a lot more than any other team, I wouldn't hold it against him...but he took a discount to play for them...so for that, I say f*** YOU TRAITOR

of yeah, f*** the Pirates for being such a sh*tty franchise that he is willing to take a huge discount to play for the DOdgers, even though they're heading down the toilet

ugh...this is heartbreaking...he was my favorite player when he was with the Giants...he just did the one thing that could make me not like him anymore...

The Dodgers infield next year may consist of JT Snow, Jeff Kent, and Bill Mueller...

if the Dodgers were the only team to pursue him or offered a lot more than any other team, I wouldn't hold it against him...but he took a discount to play for them...so for that, I say f*** YOU TRAITOR

of yeah, f*** the Pirates for being such a sh*tty franchise that he is willing to take a huge discount to play for the DOdgers, even though they're heading down the toilet

Haha.. yeah, this really sucks. But I think Ned Colletti had everything to do with this. If he's not their GM, I bet Mueller is back with the Giants this year.. Oh well....

Haha.. yeah, this really sucks. But I think Ned Colletti had everything to do with this. If he's not their GM, I bet Mueller is back with the Giants this year.. Oh well....

If Colletti doesn't give that massive contract to Edgardo Alfatass three years ago, Mueller is back with the Giants

This makes me hate Alfonzo even more