Rangers Get Eaton

TSwift25

Padres deal right-hander Eaton to Rangers

ESPN.com news services

The Texas Rangers have helped address their pitching woes by reaching agreement to acquire San Diego Padres right-handed pitchers Adam Eaton and Akinori Otsuka and a minor league prospect in exchange for right-handed pitcher Chris Young, first baseman Adrian Gonzalez and outfielder Terrmel Sledge, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick has confirmed.

The Rangers and Padres had been discussing Eaton for several weeks, but Texas was reluctant to part with young catcher Gerald Laird.

Eaton, 28, was 11-5 with San Diego last year, but pitched only 128 2/3 innings due to a middle finger strain. He can become a free agent after the 2006 season.

Otsuka, 33, was 2-8 last season with a 3.59 ERA, striking out 60 batters in 63 2/3 innings. The Rangers, while still on the market for more bullpen arms, will likely slide Otsuka into a setup role.

Young tied a Rangers' rookie record by recording 12 wins last season, but stuggled later in the season with fatigue.

Gonzalez, who was the first overall pick by the Florida Marlins in the 2000 draft, batted .227 in 150 at bats for the Rangers last season. With Mark Teixeira entrenched at first base already, Gonzalez did not have much opportunity in Texas.

Sledge was acquired by the Rangers earlier in the month from the Washington Nationals.

Guest Moneyball

So Eaton, Lawrence, Atsuka and Loretta leave in the same offseason. Think Hoffman and Giles wish they could reconsider?

The only reasoning for San Diego that I can think of is that they felt there was absolutely no chance to re-sign Eaton at the end of this season.

They could have gotten a lot more for Eaton AND Otsuka, IMO.

So Eaton, Lawrence, Atsuka and Loretta leave in the same offseason. Think Hoffman and Giles wish they could reconsider?

The only reasoning for San Diego that I can think of is that they felt there was absolutely no chance to re-sign Eaton at the end of this season.

They could have gotten a lot more for Eaton AND Otsuka, IMO.

Young isn't bad, Gonzalez is good but he probably won't be great in that ballpark and they don't really need Sledge.

However, I find it kind of odd that Otsuka is in there as a throw in. Gotta agree with you there.

Good trade for both teams, IMO. Otsuka setting up Cordero will be nice.

But I think San Diego did good here.. Young to Eaton is pretty much a wash. Young is a pretty good pitcher and put up decent numbers his first full year at Texas of all places. If they can get anything from Gonzalez, SD wins this deal big time, imo.

I'm pulling for AdGonz...He was a nice guy when I met him at a Reading Phillies game when he was a Sea Dog... There were a bunch of people waiting for him to come out and sign at the Visitors Clubhouse...When he did come out he was swarmed, but he did hang around to sign... WHen he got towards me, some adult cut off a little kid next to me who was holding out his baseball to be signed... AdGonz at that point had turned to me to sign my baseball and I told him to get the kid first because the adult he just signed for cut him off... AdGonz signed the kid and then turned back to me and took my baseball... He admitted he was surprised that I let the kid go first, commented on my Road Sea Dogs jersey, then asked me my name as he personalized his autograph to me on the baseball... We chatted for a bit about the Sea Dogs then he had to hit the field... Classy guy for how young he was, didnt have an ego get in his way ...Only one other player was nicer and chattier as a minor leaguer...Mark Kotsay...I'd say that puts AdGonz in good company...

Good Luck in SD!!!

Gonzalez has a stroke that could put up Lyle Overbay numbers at Petco.

I find it funny how Sledge has been a throw-in the last two deals. He's nothing special, but in an offseason comparable players Encarnacion and Jones are getting multi-year deals worth $6M, he - not even in his arbitration years - can't even unpack his suitcase. Seperated hamstring injury and all, there's little risk and a chance for a good reward for whatever team he ends up with.